Batman Begins' Tumbler Inspires Actual Tank

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Have a button that plays bad ass music really loud when it is in battle. Something that will scare any terrorist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Lord Kloo said:
Nouw said:
That tank looks hardly armoured at all, the guy manning the weapon is going to get killed fairly quickly.

It's good that's not the final version. Anyway, this news is awesome! A fictional vehicle of sheer badassery inspiring a real tank.

Hopefully one day they'll create a real Batmobile and use it in wars.

*Wall goes down!
"HOLY SHIT IT'S BATMAN!"
I believe (and hope) that the machine gun is an automated contraption otherwise many a man will die from sniper fire..

Also.. I wouldn't want to be facing the Tumbler if it was charging at me, its a good idea they should make their tanks and systems more scary, perhaps have spikes and flames coming off the next one..

Maybe they should watch the deathball movies.. yes thats a good idea..

The day they have these, war will be one more step to being more epic.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
Nouw said:
Yes quite, I always thought that the US army (or anyone else who wants to spend lots of money on their armies) should scrap these cheap fleshy shoot-able and killable things called men and instead put them inside space-marine-like-power-armour and then we'd see who was really winning the war over there or in any other way for that matter..

Yes.. power armour and mini-guns, its like a sci-fi nerds dreams come true, yay for me..

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
When a mayor arms manufacturer start planning war machinery thinking how cool it looks you just know we are going to end up having fake wars with mindless clones soldiers for the enjoyment of the rest of the world. Like on Sky Crawlers.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Javelk said:
Meh, it looks more like an unmaned robot than a tank.
It is, it's listed as an remote controlled drone and not a tank. The design was based off a tank but it's not being made into one...yet.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Hope they actually think of going even more for the tumbler look and less the lopsided trike look.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Lord Kloo said:
Nouw said:
Yes quite, I always thought that the US army (or anyone else who wants to spend lots of money on their armies) should scrap these cheap fleshy shoot-able and killable things called men and instead put them inside space-marine-like-power-armour and then we'd see who was really winning the war over there or in any other way for that matter..

Yes.. power armour and mini-guns, its like a sci-fi nerds dreams come true, yay for me..
I'm imagining BAE/any military group reading this thread and taking notes.
Wait...
That could be pretty cool. *Imagines a general giving orders to his Mechs to cut off the advancing space marines, as the stealth tanks destroy the enemy's base.
War would be so cool...until we realized that we can't rebuild units in 5 seconds.
OT: The BAE tumbler barely looked like the Batman tumbler. But we are on the right track for developing new weapons.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
interesting and cool...but I'm wondering how an initial glance at the design would make one think of the Tumbler haha

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
I have to say the thing looks pretty cool, but I'd never have made the connection to the Batmobile in Begins. It just doesn't look the same to me.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks this looks nothing like the batmobile from batman begins.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Nouw said:
That tank looks hardly armoured at all, the guy manning the weapon is going to get killed fairly quickly.
Fortunately, it's autonomous - think remote combat/recon vehicle and it makes more sense ;)
Woodsey said:
I thought the tumbler was already actually taken from a military design?
Yeah, I did too - kudos to their designers, I guess, for being so convincing ^_^

I'd like that bot to have more ground clearance and maybe angle-able front wheels to cut down its turning circle. Dunno what power plant it would have - diesel or electric? Also, they seem to have omitted the ammunition feed for the machinegun, lol.

Not really much note-worthy other than the inspiration, tbh - the US already has drones with similar armament, though presumably slower or something to make this project have any merit.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Holy shit I just realized it says 'Tumbler' not 'Tumblr!' I knew a thread with Tumblr would have more hate!

Wow I really need to stop skimming OPs and titles...

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
That looks nothing like the Batmobile. I think the journalist and the guys at BAE need to go watch the movies again and then come back and look at their tank.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Well the batmobile in batman begins was made by british engineering firm anyway so this not as surprising as it first looks. Secondly BAE dont have great track record of late.