Batman Co-Creator Bill Finger's Family Is Really Angry With DC Comics

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
crazygameguy4ever said:
I think Bill Finger should get credit.. he deserves it for helping to create Batman
I like that. Kind of like how America helped France beat back the German invaders. Twice.

How about this: I say a one sentence idea. You write an entire novel from that one idea and the novel goes on to be a best-seller that thrills generations. Now, my name is the only one that goes on the cover of that novel and I take all the money and you get nothing. But you helped, even though I never mention it and neither does anyone else. Savvy?

But since no one recorded or probably even witnessed all the collaboration, it's hard to tell over the years what was Finger's and what was Kane's aside from those things known documented to Finger. Would Kane have eventually come up with such things on his own? I just saw some of a video interview Kane did with Stan Lee (couldn't bring myself to watch all of it) in which Kane says he designed costumes and vehicles for the Batman (Tim Burton) movie. Being the artist, he would be the final designer of anything that anyone described in words. So, is Kane's contribution completely null if the original idea came from someone else? Which shoe is on which foot? At the very least, both the fame and the wealth should have been 50/50. So, yes, Finger's descendants deserve some compensation from Kane's estate if that is what they are seeking. I'm not sure DC could be held responsible since they may have been as in the dark originally about Finger's contribution as anyone else. Does anyone have any documentation that the DC execs at the time of Kane's contract signing also knew about Finger's contribution and also chose to ignore it? Documentation of that would be harmful to any claim of innocence by DC. But, for now, it seems the whole fault lies with Bob Kane. And just because someone can be taken advantage of doesn't mean that they are to blame for being a patsy. That is the kind of argument that blames the woman for being raped. F*ck you and anyone else who thinks that way. The crook is always to blame and should always be brought to justice. How can anyone who created Batman, or read and admire him, not demand that we adhere to that sense of justice? Otherwise it all just collapses into hypocrisy and rust and we might as well just go home, stuff our faces, get fat and die. That would be a great legacy for Batman.