Batman, Iron Man and a Dragon Make Forbes Fictional Rich List

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I think the value estimate for Smaug falls a bit short on account of Smaug's supply of Mithril.

Smaug took over the Lonely Mountain, once the home of the Dwarves. Being the only race who mined Mithril, it is reasonable to assume that the Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain had a good supply of mithril items - weapons, chain armor, plate armor - possibly as much as a tenth of their total population could have had mithril items. The population of the Lonely Mountain is not obvious; for the purposes of this analysis I am assuming five hundred dwarves, of whom 50 might have had a mithril item.

Now, the value of one mithril item (a hobbit/prince-sized mithril mail shirt) is set at the approximate value of the Shire. To calculate the value of the shire we must look at the number of potential residents, the value of the land, and the value of the houses. (Note that this does not include possessions or yearly domestic product, and so still falls a bit short of reality)

A quick scan of the Internet finds cottages in Ireland for sale at ~125,000 euros. In dollars, this is $180,000. I think we can lowball this a bit, and say that the average worth of a house in the Shire (in today's currency) is $100,000.

Since the Shire is the main population of hobbits in Middle Earth, it must have had a sustainable population level. And, being divided into four "Farthings," each with their own mayor, it is reasonable to assume that these acted as small towns. A medieval city might have had 10,000 residents; a town can be assumed to have had just 2,000 for the purposes of discussion.

So we have 2,000 residents per town, assuming 2.5 per house leaves us 800 buildings per town. Four towns gives us 3200 buildings, each with an approximate worth of $100,000 for a total of $320,000,000 for the buildings in the Shire.

On to farmland. The recorded size of the Shire is 18,000 square miles, which equates to 11,520,000 acres. Let's assume a quarter of this is developed, usable land, giving us 2,880,000 usable acres of farmland. Price per-acre for farmland in my recent Internet search is about $400. Multiplying this out, we get $1,152,000,000 for the Shire's farmland.

Added up, we see that the Shire is worth about $1,472,000,000 in today's money - the approximate worth of the Mithril shirt. Please note that this puts Bilbo himself (and later Frodo) solidly on our list of the richest fictional entities.

Taking our estimate of 50 total Mithril items in the Lonely Mountain, this gives Smaug an additional $73,600,000,000 of net worth, putting his overall value at $82,200,000,000 - easily topping the list of the richest fantasy beings.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
I would have thought the dragon from John Gardner's Grendel was richer than Smaug.

Either way, this is fantastic.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
I'm sure there's a bunch of people more wealthy than those on this list, as mentioned in previous posts, but Forbes seems to be sticking to well-known characters. Still, this list was awesome and it's great to see this list coming from them. It would have been a pretty cool April Fools joke if they just released this list without mentioning the fictional part.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Grouchy Imp said:
That's pretty cool. Following the link leads to a section of the 25 most powerful (richest) fictional companies too. And it's official, Cyberdyne is nowhere near as powerful as MomCorp!

[link]http://blogs.forbes.com/michaelnoer/2011/03/11/the-25-largest-fictional-companies/[/link]
Why isn't Buy N' Large from Wall E in there? They literally owned everything on earth.
CAPTCHA: attrac Freyer,

ho Huios tes Moiras

Aug 24, 2010
Alþough I loved þe list in general, I do have a few nitpicks...

1) Þe only indication of a number for Richie Rich's wealþ is þat he's "þe richest kid in þe world." Shouldn't he be on top? And if Artemis Fowl has þe same description, should þey maybe be tied or at least next to each oþer above everyone else?
2) Mr. Monopoly isn't Mr. Monopoly's name. He's Uncle Pennybags. Someone at Forbes isn't doing þeir research.
3) Jeffery Lebowski isn't rich; his dead wife was, and he's þe CEO of her charitable foundation, but þe kids (who hate him) got all þe money. (Yes, I know it's lampshaded in þe article, but given þat it outright states Carlisle Cullen is a vampire, I don't þink þey're trying to claim þey only know what people in þe movie world know.) Besides, fiction has plenty of billionaires; someone wiþ questionable access to $1billion doesn't deserve to be on þe list at all. Replace him wiþ Victor von Doom or Lex Luþor or someþing.
4) Even þough Carlisle Cullen seems like he logically ought to be one of þe wealþiest men on earþ, I seem to recall þat he's merely a millionaire, possibly because he stopped caring when he had enough. Maybe someone who finished þe books can correct me on þat.
5) Smaug is larger þan þe D&D dragon table for his age and color. He can barely navigate corridors meant for þe foot traffic of an entire kingdom. He should definitely be higher based on þe size of his hoarde alone. In addition, I find þe estimate of 500 dwarves by Omicron1 to be raþer conservative, considering þis was one of þe two largest dwarven kingdoms in þe world, and he has a good point about þe value of miþril. Smaug sleeps on þe wealþ of a nation, and not a small nation.

'Bringin' þorn back, baby! Wow, if you don't know what þat letter is, þat looks absolutely wrong.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Wow... not only is it a clever article, but I love the comments as well. The author isn't afraid to get his hands dirty with a little criticism of his methods.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
vxicepickxv said:
I wouldn't pay 100grand for ahole in the dirt that small.
Keep in mind that for hobbits, your average hobbit-hole is equivalent to a small cottage in the Irish countryside. It's furnished, set up with windows and plenty of rooms - plus it stays cool in the summer and warm in the winter! Certain native American tribes did the same thing, hollowing out a house of sorts in the ground and covering it with a wood-supported roof of dirt.
By this estimate, Bag End is the rough equivalent of a country mansion.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Like he said, just the mithril alone would be a vast fortune, and the arkenstone's wealth is beyond measure, Ofcourse, Morgoth and Feanor should be on the list for owning the 3 silmarils, which are... well, beyond the measure of the measure used by the arkenstone...

ya, the silmarils would buy our entire world a few times over in my books.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Fucking epic. :D that is one of the most epic lists of rich people I've seen in a long time.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
ho Huios tes Moiras said:
2) Mr. Monopoly isn't Mr. Monopoly's name. He's Uncle Pennybags. Someone at Forbes isn't doing þeir research.
If you read all articles related, they do mention his real name.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Good list, but what about the Godlike AI Petey from Schlock Mercenary?
In his words: "I have a team of accountants whose job it is to count the accountants who keep track of my accountants"

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
The Illusive Man (possibly)
King of All Cosmos
Ozymandias from The Watchmen
Whoever owns the Orgrimmar Auction House.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
JaceArveduin said:
Like he said, just the mithril alone would be a vast fortune, and the arkenstone's wealth is beyond measure, Ofcourse, Morgoth and Feanor should be on the list for owning the 3 silmarils, which are... well, beyond the measure of the measure used by the arkenstone...

ya, the silmarils would buy our entire world a few times over in my books.
Gems filled with divine light? Can't be surpised they fought for thousands of years to get them. :)
omicron1 said:
I think the value estimate for Smaug falls a bit short on account of Smaug's supply of Mithril.

-epic snip-
Well done. I salute you, good sir! The author did specify that it was a minimum, conservative estimate because he couldn't contact Gandalf for further info as he had reportedly 'strayed out of thought and time'.

ho Huios tes Moiras

Aug 24, 2010
Vitor Goncalves said:
ho Huios tes Moiras said:
If you read all articles related, they do mention his real name.
Þey claim it as an AKA, as if Monopoly is his real name and some people just call him "Pennybags, instead of þe oþer way around. "Monopoly" is þe name of þe game, and noþing anywhere suggests it's þe name of þe mascot. I still say þey screwed up on þis one.

Balaxe

Mar 24, 2009
I think Dethklok from metalocalypse should be on there because in the show they're described as being the 4th largest economy in the world. But the person who wrote the list probably doesn't know about all rich fictional characters ever written.

Mar 30, 2010
Souplex said:
Grouchy Imp said:
That's pretty cool. Following the link leads to a section of the 25 most powerful (richest) fictional companies too. And it's official, Cyberdyne is nowhere near as powerful as MomCorp!

[link]http://blogs.forbes.com/michaelnoer/2011/03/11/the-25-largest-fictional-companies/[/link]
Why isn't Buy N' Large from Wall E in there? They literally owned everything on earth.
CAPTCHA: attrac Freyer,
Good point. My initial reaction was to suggest that although they owned the world the world had gone to hell, so maybe it wasn't worth that much, but that theory falls down because there must have been a point when the Earth wasn't shot to hell.

They missed out the biggest company of all time anyway, my old Syndicate...