Batman: Return to Arkham Delayed Indefinitely

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Batman: Return to Arkham Delayed Indefinitely

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1332/1332720.jpgBatman: Return to Arkham won't hit its release date. Now it doesn't have a release date at all.

Back in May, Warner Bros. announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167471-Batman-Return-to-Arkham-Finally-Announced-by-Warner] that they were bringing the Batman: Arkham series to current-gen consoles. Titled Batman: Return to Arkham, the new collection would include both Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City. It was set to launch on PS4 and Xbox One on July 26, but Warner announced today that they have delayed the game, and there is now no official release date.

The announcement came in a post on the game's official forums [http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Return-to-Arkham/Batman-Return-to-Arkham-Release-Update-Message/m-p/1187220#U1187220]. WB Games' Steve Grayson wrote, "After reviewing the progress of the project, the team at WB Games has decided to delay the release of Batman: Return to Arkham to give the team at Virtuous Games additional time to deliver a polished Batman Arkham game experience."

While a delay isn't that unusual these days, what's a little odd is that Warner didn't bother to offer up an updated release date. Grayson's post said, "We do not have a release date yet and will be sure to communicate that once we are sure the game will be ready." That's a little concerning, but we'll have to wait and see just when the game will finally materialize.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Silentpony said:
What are they doing to these poor games?!
Based on the Arkham Knight PC controversy, it would make a bit of sense if they just wanted to make sure is fine. Although, it's just a theory.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I do remember seeing a comparison shot between Hugo Strange as rendered in the Standalone Arkham City, and then as rendered in Return to Arkham. The graphical downgrade was painfully obvious, so chances are someone at WB realized the project was, visually speaking, dead on arrival.

Methinks a complete overhaul is scheduled. If we were living in a pre-Bullshots controversy era, then I guess Warner wouldn't care and would have released the compilation as-is. That's without mentioning how scattershot the Arkham series has been in terms of overall control fidelity. Arkham the First was great on consoles and a nightmare on PC, City managed decent parity between all supports, Origins felt unplayable without a controller, and Knight has had its own notorious problems on PC. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of work needed to be done on that end.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This wouldn't have anything to do with the remasters looking like shit, now would it? They wouldn't want to pull a Konami after all.

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
Considering how different UE4 is to UE3 I am not surprised it is taking them so long to port everything over.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
A wise decision. These Rocksteady ports tend to go rather south when not done by Rocksteady, and the recent comparison shots were a little confusing in their choice of art direction.

Matthew Lynch

Jun 26, 2010
this could be bad? It was available for a preorder...meaning anyone who HAS preordered is now out of pocker, unless microsoft and sony give refunds.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Random Argument Man said:
Based on the Arkham Knight PC controversy, it would make a bit of sense if they just wanted to make sure is fine. Although, it's just a theory.
If I was cynical (oh wait I am very cynical), I would say it's most likely that Warner Brothers have realised that they can't cheaply fix the myriad bugs in the games, especially the PC versions.

Three years ago they would have gotten away with it, but now PSN, Xbox Live, Steams, GoG and Origin all have systems in place for refunding customer's digital purchases, so they're just not going to bother anymore.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Those Remasters look like hot garbage. I still have my Xbox 360 versions but if your going to do a remaster of last gen at least do it good. They just need to stop playing around and drop that Arkam Knight GOTY edition I am sure that got enough money with that season pass.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
Random Argument Man said:
If I was cynical (oh wait I am very cynical), I would say it's most likely that Warner Brothers have realised that they can't cheaply fix the myriad bugs in the games, especially the PC versions.

Three years ago they would have gotten away with it, but now PSN, Xbox Live, Steams, GoG and Origin all have systems in place for refunding customer's digital purchases, so they're just not going to bother anymore.
Pretty sure it wasn't ever announced for PC.

OT: For the third time in the past... eh... month? I'm going to say, "stop announcing release dates for games before they're actually finished enough to be released".

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
The studios that work for WB have created some great stuff, no question. I'm not sure quite why getting it to market- especially on PC, but now on the next-gen systems as well, apparently- becomes such a Charlie Foxtrot.

It's like your country has gifted scientists who are trying to go abroad to receive a Nobel prize, but immigration is run by a bunch of literal circus clowns who insist you walk a tightrope while juggling and take a pie in the face before they'll approve your visa.

My suspicion is that someone at the wheel is penny-wise, pound-foolish- they just outright refuse to put the kind of expertise and manpower into play to make sure an existing, successful franchise gets the kind of work it needs and deserves for a successful port.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
animeprime said:
Anyone else find it funny that the spokesman for a Batman game is named "Grayson"?
Makes you wonder if they have a Wayne, a Pennyworth or a Cobblepot on staff - or at least people who share the same first names.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
You'd think they'd have learned their lesson about using 3rd party companies to port rocksteady games, or even do anything at all to those batman games.

And here I was hoping for a surprise addition of a fixed arkham knight and pc release. Silly me.