Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
So I've been rewatching this series recently to see if it holds up. In all fairness, yes, I think it has. I think its a fun, brilliant love letter to not just the Silver Age, but pretty much DC's mythos. As for the best superhero animated shows, here's my personal list:

1. Batman: The Animated Series
2. Spectacular Spider-Man
3. Justice League and Unlimited
4. Batman: The Brave and the Bold
5. Young Justice
6. The Tick
7. Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Mainly the 2012 one)
9. Teen Titans
10. X-Men (1992)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Personally I thought that show was underrated as I too LOVE that show.

I know to a certain naysayer would say everything bad about it and I say, if you want the usual Dark knight then rewatched the TAS. Even then regardless what you think of the silver age/ Adam West, it still played the role on how we got Batman today.

Anyway I enjoyed it for being different and aswell serving a spotlight for the lesser know characters in the DC universe.

Oct 22, 2011
Personally, from the trailers i found it bit too cheesy for my taste. I have nothing against this sort of levity, but Batman isn't the superhero i'd watch for that.
I do like old Adam West show, but that's due to the whole concept being so ridiculous, down to a mask with painted eyebrows and comic book "POWS!" "ZAPS!" and "GASHUNKS!" in a live-action tv production. Plus it has its retro charm to it.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't get to see as much as I would have liked, but what I saw I really enjoyed. Goofy fun, some interesting (and obscure) characters, it was a nice change of pace for batman cartoons.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Yeah Brave and Bold gets a bad rap- mostly from people who have never seen it. It pulls in really deep cuts from the DC universe and is just a different take on Batman from TAS. Embracing the campy side of character like 66'.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Man, I loved that show. It's no Batman: TAS of course, but then not every incarnation of Batman has to be. It's a crying shame it didn't catch on, but that's what happens when the lunatic Batman fanboys throw hissy fits over anything that isn't "muh Dark Knight/Killing Joke."

It also had the best version of Aquaman ever:
OUTRAGEOUS!

I honestly think the show would have fared much better if it had been released nowadays. Between movie audiences getting burned on DC's hamfisted attempts at "dark" and "gritty" superheroes and the runaway success of Teen Titans: GO there seems to be more of a demand for light-hearted Silver Age style escapades than before.

Sep 24, 2008
I'll be real. I'm just really tired of Batman. There's just so much, no matter the slant of the story now.

I mean, "The Batman" and "Batman: The Brave and the Bold" were on at the same time during the ending year of the Batman, and the beginning of Batman B&B. 2004-2011. Justice League came on in 2001 and ended with JL:U in 2006.

Just a decade straight of Batman and Batman related things. Not to mention the movies and the games and the...

Wow, the Aughts was really just the Decade of Batman. How am I the only one suffering Batman Fatigue?

Trooper924

Oct 20, 2011
I absolutely loved Brave and the Bold. My favorite part of it though, wasn't the retro-Silver Age stuff (though that was cool). It was seeing some of DC's lesser known superheroes getting a chance to be in the spotlight.

I mean, what other DC show would give a major role to Detective Chimp or Ambush Bug?

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
Loved it.

I really think it's for people who accept and either love or at least have an interest in comics, in all their forms and their history.

If you can only accept in your mind Batman as he was seen in modern times, or superheroes and villains that are grounded, instead of your Adam Strange or Batmite. You won't like it.

I do agree that it was ahead of its time. If it came out today, after Marvel made movies like Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange and Thor 2: The Second Thor, and the Flash TV show has had villains like Gorilla Grodd, I think it would have been better received by the public.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Back when it aired it was too camp for me. Villains like Zebra man, and Batman throwing out corny one-liners, get the fuck out of here with that shit.

In retrospec, I appreciate it more. Because fuck me if Batman isn't depicted as the most stoneface no nonsense bastard most of the time. I think we need a better balance of a Batman that's intimidating to criminals but can still crack a smile and enjoy fighting crime.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
It was okay. To be honest I liked a lot more was it's Predecessor, the CGI Beware The Batman cartoon.

but nooo people had to ***** about a capable Alfred.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Man, Brave and the Bold was fantastic and full of awesome camp.

It also, paradoxically, had a shockingly high body count.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I really liked Brave and the Bold too but I didn't watch too much of it for whatever reason. I just don't really watch much TV I guess...I liked Batman's voice and I liked how the series shown a spotlight on lesser-known heroes and heroines.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I dont really like batman but I liked brave and the bold. It made use of batmans strength, the depth of roster of villains. It did not feel like it is for angsty teens like most batman projects.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
I think B:BATB and Teen Titans Go! can be summed up in to sentences.

Right way.
Wrong way.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I watched BatB for the first time fairly recently, after having just seen the overly dour slog that is Batman v Superman. I needed something lighthearted and OUTRAGEOUS after that and this show delivered in spades. Absolutely loved it.
undeadsuitor said:
I thought Brave and the Bold had a good run. Hell, they even got to have a final episode thanking the fans which is more than some shows get.
It's also a great and dignified send-off, not because of how meta it is, but for the message it seems to convey: there is room in the world for more than one incarnation of Batman and while BatB may end, it will always be there for whoever needs their Silver Age goofiness fix. It shows that campy and maturity need not be mutually exclusive.