Batman v Superman Director Zack Snyder Defends Aquaman

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Batman v Superman Director Zack Snyder Defends Aquaman

Batman v Superman director Zack Snyder called a radio station up and defended Aquaman from the bashing that was taking place.

While it's still Zack Snyder [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135396-Report-Jason-Momoa-is-Aquaman-Will-Appear-in-Dawn-of-Justice] is apparently one of the superhero's few supporters. On CBS Detroit, the DJs were talking smack on-air regarding the DC's King of Atlantis, when Snyder, tired of all the bashing, called to set the record straight on Aquaman.

You guys were disparaging, a little bit, Aquaman......I don't want to give anything away about the movie or anything like that, but Aquaman has some cool abilities. People are like, 'Oh what? Does he talk to animals? Because that seems like what he does. Or fish?' The cool thing with Aquaman is he has his trident. You have to realize that could cut the flesh of Superman if they came in contact. That's a thing that's in the canon. He's super strong because, of course, he can exist at these super deep depths. So when he comes up here, he's crazy strong. Anyway, not to say he's in my movie or anything like that, but he has the potential to be bad ass, that's all I'm saying.

You can listen to the entire chat right here [http://cbsdetroit.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/080814-zack-snyder-joins-the-show.mp3].

As seen in the statement above by Snyder, Aquaman's involvement in Batman v Superman hasn't been confirmed, but his comments seem to indicate that the Atlantean will indeed make an appearance -- at least to me, anyway. For more on Batman v Superman, check out Batman will be different from the past Dark Knights. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136665-Batman-v-Superman-Set-Footage-Reveals-First-Look-at-Bruce-Wayne]

Do you agree with Snyder's assessment of Aquaman or is there a reason why the character is one of the most ridiculed superheros ever?

Source: SuperHeroHype [http://cbsdetroit.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/080814-zack-snyder-joins-the-show.mp3]

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
First thing I've heard from Snyder in a while that hasn't vaguely irritated me. Good for him. Aquaman gets waaay too much flack, just because the old JLA cartoon writers had no creativity.

80sboy

May 23, 2013
I blame t on Family Guy. Just because that show made a joke on how useless Aquaman is, everyone now thinks it's clever doing the same. Basing their opinion on a silly cartoon. Lol

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I have a unique problem with the Aquaman hate. I know he is a bad ass. I have known that for years but I simply don't like the character very much. The problem is that whenever I say that to someone who happens to like Aquaman I am told I don't like him siply because it is cool to hate Aquaman or that because I think he is a joke or that he is useless.

I just wish everyone would acknowledge that Aquaman is a badass so that I can hate him in peace.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
80sboy said:
I blame t on Family Guy. Just because that show made a joke on how useless Aquaman is, everyone now thinks it's clever doing the same. Basing their opinion on a silly cartoon. Lol
The Big Bang Theory does it as well. Anyone who has ever read a Justice League comic knows better. It's good to know Zack Snyder knows how awesome he is. Just as I was starting to feel down about BvS, this gives me a little hope.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
I said in a previous article that no one seems to be passionate about Aquaman and Cyborg, because of how fantastical they are. It's nice to see some enthusiasm from Snyder, gives me hope that Aquaman will at least be a good thing in the movie.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
"The cool thing with Aquaman is he has his trident."

Oh shit guys, watch out! A trident! Who can save us from this weapon from weapon of mass destruction? Apart from, you know, the guy who tanks actually tanks and shoots lasers from his eyes.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
I'm actually looking forward to seeing Aquaman. Its not like they can manage to make him more brooding than batman and more boring than superman....so anything would be a step up I guess :p

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
chocolate pickles said:

Oh shit guys, watch out! A trident! Who can save us from this weapon from weapon of mass destruction? Apart from, you know, the guy who tanks actually tanks and shoots lasers from his eyes.
Aquaman can and does go toe to toe with the man of steel; he's also king of a nation who's naval power is to the world at large, comparable to the British Empire at the height of their capability. Their technology is also highly advanced and they still command sorcery, a well known weakness of Superman.

He's a badass, end story.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
chocolate pickles said:

Congratulations on cherry-picking a single sentence that was clearly not rehearsed ahead of time (it was him just talking), and not only omitting the follow-up sentences that give support to the sentence, but apparently not even reading them based on your "Superman could kick his trident's ass" counter.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I don't living in the deep would give you super-strength. I think it would more give you stronger resistances to crushing pressures. In reality, most creatures that live in the deep are super squishy because that makes it harder for the pressure to crush you.

Aquaman has potential as a character, you just have to stop thinking of him the way most people think of comic book superheros IE "What kind of superpower does this guy have?" The potential for Aquaman stories goes beyond "I'm just a guy with superpowers." He's the king of an entire underwater nation, if I remember correctly. That alone is a great set-up for different kinds of stories. You just gotta think about the scenario and the setting more than the superpower.

But I still don't like Zack Snyder.

Jan 27, 2011
I've liked the guy since my (now ex) GF lent me the first of the new 52 comics about him.

He's actually pretty cool, especially when he reacts really mellow whenever everyone treats him like a joke.

...Still, gotta be said that the Flash is the only non-batman DC superhero I give a fraction of a damn about.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
I don't living in the deep would give you super-strength. I think it would more give you stronger resistances to crushing pressures. In reality, most creatures that live in the deep are super squishy because that makes it harder for the pressure to crush you.

Aquaman has potential as a character, you just have to stop thinking of him the way most people think of comic book superheros IE "What kind of superpower does this guy have?" The potential for Aquaman stories goes beyond "I'm just a guy with superpowers." He's the king of an entire underwater nation, if I remember correctly. That alone is a great set-up for different kinds of stories. You just gotta think about the scenario and the setting more than the superpower.

But I still don't like Zack Snyder.
Some deep sea creatures explode when they come to the surface, that would make for a spectacularly short comic though. His strength is implied from the fact that he can not only withstand those pressures, but move freely in them.

His solo stories do tend to focus on Atlantis and his life under sea. It tends to be in the Justice League books that he's a more typical superhero.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Give me a reason to give a shit about Aquaman and I will be interested in him. You ain't that guy Snyder. He messed up Superman and made Zod a more compelling character. That is a impressive fuck up. This film is going to be terrible. He has at 5 new characters to introduce and he will fuck it up terribly because he is not that good a director. Joss Whedon barely nailed it and he had their solo films and his experience as an ensemble director. This film will be a mess.

Grant Morrison made this argument a million times better anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl3ZZaXLEx0

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
80sboy said:
The silly cartoon that's responsible for the Aquaman bashing is in fact not Family guy, but the 'Super friends' cartoon from '73 because the running gag was that Aquaman's powers was that he owned a jetski.

It ruined Aquaman's reputation forever in the eyes of the mainstream public.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
I love Aquaman. He's my favorite superhero. I've loved things like Atlantis, mermaids, sea monsters, aquatic life in general, so a superhero based on those things? Hell yeah!

So even though I know this movie is going to suck butts, I just want to see Aquaman in a movie. Even if it's a stinker, I just want to see him kick ass. I even was a little sad that that smallville-ish show pilot never made it to a full series.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Aquaman could beat up the vast majority of heroes and villains in the DC Universe. Quod erat motherloving demonstrandum.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I like giving Aquaman hate because there needs to be a superhero that just gets shit for the hell of it. I know he's a badass, it's still fun to make fun of him, what's so wrong with that? He's not real, he rules an entire underwater nation, and he could kick my ass were he real, why should he care if I poke fun at him?