Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
RJ Dalton said:
Yeah, you can claim it won't be overstuffed, but that doesn't convince me that it won't suck for the many reasons I expect it to besides that.
Such as an overly dark tone that serves no real thematic point, characters who's actions don't make sense, and a director who answers to the name of Zack Snyder.
I am going to keep defending this because I am the only DC fan here that cares and likes the direction they are going.

I don't mind if this movie is "bloated" because personally I like long 4 hour movies. I don't want a 2 hour roller coaster ride. I want a 4 hour epic.

And why all the Zack Snyder bashing all of a sudden? People are treating him like Uwe Boll all of a sudden. 300 is a good movie, Watchmen is a great movie despite some flaws.
I'm a DC fan but how DC is running their cinematic universe inspires little faith. They're just throwing too many things together and seeing what sticks. Also, grimdark is not a tone I want for every superhero. BvS looks bad and Suicide Squad looks even worse.
Hey its better than having to watch 5 different movies just to get what's going on :p

And if you hate the tone so much do you also hate the fact that Batman The Killing Joke animated adaption will be rated R? Because that comic is pretty dark.

This tone is better than winking at the audiance, smart ass, "comedic dialoge" direction the Marvel movies are doing. Guardians of the Galaxy made me groan and facepalm at its "Comedy" and man did I not fuckin called it that Groot was gonna sacrifice himself Iron Giant stlye ever since I found out Vin Diesal is voicing him, right down to the last word, replace "We Are Groot" with "Superman" and you have the Wooden Giant :p
Well, I'm not mad about Killing Joke being rated R because it is a dark story and Batman is a dark character. Superman isn't dark, Flash isn't dark, Green Lantern isn't dark, fucking Aquaman sure isn't dark and they turned him into Rob Zombie.
Man of Steel wasn't really..."Dark" it just had a more serious tone. I mean does the theme song in the movie sounded "Dark and Brooding?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX3coWDnTrU
A theme that is showcased right at the end of the film, after it spent two hours wallowing in its own misery.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I have a sneaky suspicion someone is barely restraining themselves from whining "Marvel got to do it! Why don't we...?"

Yeah, well, Marvel didn't advertise Iron Man around the Nick Fury stinger cameo.

Snark aside, I'm kind of hoping they can make this a good movie. I don't want to see millions of dollars wasted and some talented people have a big millstone tied to their careers. Having a second superhero-universe-franchise could be a good thing, especially if it manages to both differentiate itself from Marvel and make consistently worthwhile movies.

I just can't help but get this ominous feeling that the powers that be are so tied up in how serious and epic this whole production is that they haven't really poured much thought into whether people outside of their bubble will actually enjoy seeing the result.

mrverbal

May 23, 2008
The first warning sign this was going to be massively overstuff was the title. Batman VS superman - besides being a god awful idea (Spoiler: the one who should win, sans plot contrivance, is the one who is in the top small-n most powercharacters in pretty much any fictional medium (and if we get to count superman one million, possibly any work of fiction including the bible)) already needed at a minimum 2 massive ego-characters plus at least one massive villian to bring them together at the end.

But now we have doomsday, luthor, some newspaper mogul who is relevant somehow, evil nick fury, and at least one or two I've forgotten. Plus Aquaman, Wonderwoman, Cyborg, and maybe the flash and green lantern.

That's not a movie, it's a 22 episode TV season. I was pretty much not the target audience for this anyway (Because the first one was god-awful, even for a superman film) but I can't see this being better than clusterfuck.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Gordon_4 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
RJ Dalton said:
Yeah, you can claim it won't be overstuffed, but that doesn't convince me that it won't suck for the many reasons I expect it to besides that.
Such as an overly dark tone that serves no real thematic point, characters who's actions don't make sense, and a director who answers to the name of Zack Snyder.
I am going to keep defending this because I am the only DC fan here that cares and likes the direction they are going.

I don't mind if this movie is "bloated" because personally I like long 4 hour movies. I don't want a 2 hour roller coaster ride. I want a 4 hour epic.

And why all the Zack Snyder bashing all of a sudden? People are treating him like Uwe Boll all of a sudden. 300 is a good movie, Watchmen is a great movie despite some flaws.
I'm a DC fan but how DC is running their cinematic universe inspires little faith. They're just throwing too many things together and seeing what sticks. Also, grimdark is not a tone I want for every superhero. BvS looks bad and Suicide Squad looks even worse.
Hey its better than having to watch 5 different movies just to get what's going on :p

And if you hate the tone so much do you also hate the fact that Batman The Killing Joke animated adaption will be rated R? Because that comic is pretty dark.

This tone is better than winking at the audiance, smart ass, "comedic dialoge" direction the Marvel movies are doing. Guardians of the Galaxy made me groan and facepalm at its "Comedy" and man did I not fuckin called it that Groot was gonna sacrifice himself Iron Giant stlye ever since I found out Vin Diesal is voicing him, right down to the last word, replace "We Are Groot" with "Superman" and you have the Wooden Giant :p
Well, I'm not mad about Killing Joke being rated R because it is a dark story and Batman is a dark character. Superman isn't dark, Flash isn't dark, Green Lantern isn't dark, fucking Aquaman sure isn't dark and they turned him into Rob Zombie.
Man of Steel wasn't really..."Dark" it just had a more serious tone. I mean does the theme song in the movie sounded "Dark and Brooding?"

A theme that is showcased right at the end of the film, after it spent two hours wallowing in its own misery.
If that's what you call misery than I prefer this "Misery" over stupid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrDXseJRJIk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8ohTJp3PAA

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Callate said:
I have a sneaky suspicion someone is barely restraining themselves from whining "Marvel got to do it! Why don't we...?"

Yeah, well, Marvel didn't advertise Iron Man around the Nick Fury stinger cameo.

Snark aside, I'm kind of hoping they can make this a good movie. I don't want to see millions of dollars wasted and some talented people have a big millstone tied to their careers. Having a second superhero-universe-franchise could be a good thing, especially if it manages to both differentiate itself from Marvel and make consistently worthwhile movies.

I just can't help but get this ominous feeling that the powers that be are so tied up in how serious and epic this whole production is that they haven't really poured much thought into whether people outside of their bubble will actually enjoy seeing the result.
If you think about it the early Marvel movies were not that great up until the first Captain America imo. I mean I just watched Iron Man 1 recently and my goodness is the movie so dated. I mean they mean Tony made a reference to MySpace.

Mabye this will be the movie that will improve.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
mrverbal said:
The first warning sign this was going to be massively overstuff was the title. Batman VS superman - besides being a god awful idea (Spoiler: the one who should win, sans plot contrivance, is the one who is in the top small-n most powercharacters in pretty much any fictional medium (and if we get to count superman one million, possibly any work of fiction including the bible)) already needed at a minimum 2 massive ego-characters plus at least one massive villian to bring them together at the end.

But now we have doomsday, luthor, some newspaper mogul who is relevant somehow, evil nick fury, and at least one or two I've forgotten. Plus Aquaman, Wonderwoman, Cyborg, and maybe the flash and green lantern.

That's not a movie, it's a 22 episode TV season. I was pretty much not the target audience for this anyway (Because the first one was god-awful, even for a superman film) but I can't see this being better than clusterfuck.
1. Evil Nick Fury? News Papaer Mogul?

2. I have not heard that Doomsday was being confirmed for this movie or this cinemtatic universe infact I remember being told that he will not be included.

3. Aside from Wonder Woman how much are you willing to be Aquaman, Cyborg, Flash, and Green lantern will at best just appear in really short cameos?

And on the end who cares. This is to prevent oversaturation of DC movies. I rather have 2 movies that leads up to the Justice League, over 5.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Gordon_4 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
RJ Dalton said:

I'll be the first to admit that comedy is subjective, but without these moments of levity the mood becomes too somber and audiences risk losing connection with the characters. One of the best examples of this is in Saving Private Ryan: just before the Germans arrive, they're all swapping stories about mundane shit that happened back home and it is both funny and a little touching. That's what Man of Steel lacked, although I had other philosophical conflicts with it as well. I mean I might be excited if there was a more pronounced contrast between Batman and Superman but all I see are two people miserable and angry in equal measure getting into what has all the dramatic force of a schoolyard spat because WB and the creative team behind this leviathan of angst are so intent at sucking the overrated dick of The Dark Knight Returns. It's boring, it's hackneyed and insulting to both the major players - the DCAU handled the first meeting of these two better than this is shaping up to be.

Also, this version of Lex Luther is shaping up to be the worst since Gene Hackman.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Gordon_4 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Gordon_4 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
RJ Dalton said:

I'll be the first to admit that comedy is subjective, but without these moments of levity the mood becomes too somber and audiences risk losing connection with the characters. One of the best examples of this is in Saving Private Ryan: just before the Germans arrive, they're all swapping stories about mundane shit that happened back home and it is both funny and a little touching. That's what Man of Steel lacked, although I had other philosophical conflicts with it as well. I mean I might be excited if there was a more pronounced contrast between Batman and Superman but all I see are two people miserable and angry in equal measure getting into what has all the dramatic force of a schoolyard spat because WB and the creative team behind this leviathan of angst are so intent at sucking the overrated dick of The Dark Knight Returns. It's boring, it's hackneyed and insulting to both the major players - the DCAU handled the first meeting of these two better than this is shaping up to be.

Also, this version of Lex Luther is shaping up to be the worst since Gene Hackman.
1. I agree about the example of Saving Private Ryan, but did those moments of levity and humor had to happen DURING the battles and not before or after? One of the worse things about the second Avengers movie was the innappropriate comedy during certain parts. And dont' get me started on the character of Ultron. It was a mistake that thet based his personality on Tony Stark :p

2. I'll be the first to admit that the DCAU is pretty much the perfect portrayal of DC heroes even better than DC live action movies past (Superman 1977) and future, even better than this Marvel Cinematic Universe and its Cartoons because Animation is superior to live action.

As to the Dark Knight Returns well I own the comic and watched the Animated Adaption and personally I like the first half better then the second more.

But I agree with Frank Miller on one thing that Superman and Batman should be at the very least Rivals. Superman Lawful Good Paragon of Justice while Batman is a Chaotic Good Vigilante that will do anything for the greater good.

Its a much more interesting relationship than just being allies right off the bat. And it adds to the character development of both characters that they will become the closest of friends.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
cdjones2112 said:
Press X to doubt, that being said I'd totally be down for a 4 hour long cut.
More long movies and less two parters is a direction I totally support
4 hours of superheroes...glorious *_*

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
mrverbal said:

Amanda Waller (Read John Ostrander's 80's run of Suicide Squad. Seriously. Read it.They're conveniently starting to collect the whole thing in trade paperbacks.)
Morgan Edge. For a while in the 70's and early 80's Clark Kent was working for him
and secretly, his company was a front for the criminal organization Intergang, which in turn had secret ties to Darkseid

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
McMarbles said:
Samtemdo8 said:
mrverbal said:

Amanda Waller (Read John Ostrander's 80's run of Suicide Squad. Seriously. Read it.They're conveniently starting to collect the whole thing in trade paperbacks.)
Morgan Edge. For a while in the 70's and early 80's Clark Kent was working for him
and secretly, his company was a front for the criminal organization Intergang, which in turn had secret ties to Darkseid
Oh I am well aware of the character of Amanda Waller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruwIBT-noAs

And I find it sad that people just call here Evil Nick Fury with a vagina. I mean if the DC movies introduce Darkseid I just know people will call him a Thanos clone sadly :p

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
tzimize said:
cdjones2112 said:
Press X to doubt, that being said I'd totally be down for a 4 hour long cut.
More long movies and less two parters is a direction I totally support
4 hours of superheroes...glorious *_*
Put that into perspective, that's 'The Return of the King' Extended edition length. Theatrical Return of the King was less than 3 and a half hours.

Put that into further perspective, that means they can only show the movie ~3 times per screen per day. Avengers could do ~6. That cuts ticket sales in half and the theaters won't want to dedicate a large number of screens to 3 shows per day. I'd put money on the film getting cut to under 3 hours, maybe even having that run time cut in half.

But don't worry, the director says it won't be Overstuffed.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
It might not be overstuffed with heroes, judging by the cast list for the movie. Batman, Superman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg and Flash (rumoured) but given the political tones, the big confrontation, the build-up, (A)Lex Luthor involvement in the plot, the initial confrontation, plus the backflashes for the main two, the reasons for the other three to be involved other than DC saying "It worked for Marvel.", the resolution of the big fight plus the reveal of the real enemy (Probably Luthor) plus there is the whole showing of Zod's body, plus 4 people in the casting list who haven't been assigned roles, plus the one person who will be revealed on the day this movie is coming out...

I don't have high expectations for the movie, because the whole thing feels like DC trying to compete with Marvel. It is like someone training for the 2000 Olympics, today.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
See that's the problem; you're not getting the 4 hour epic, you're getting the 2 hour trimmed down version cramming in as much content as they can to try and make up for the 2 hours of lost content "bloated" version. If they had 4 hours of story based content then there's 4 hours of content! Taking out half of it could mean that the leftover half ends up an incoherent mess with no logical progression or explanation.

The more I hear about this movie the less hope I have for it - and this is coming from someone that's a fan of Batman and didn't mind the Superman movie (despite there being several story decisions that just didn't make sense or make for a good cut).

VoidWanderer said:
I don't have high expectations for the movie, because the whole thing feels like DC trying to compete with Marvel. It is like someone training for the 2000 Olympics, today.
Exactly! They want to catch up to what Marvel has done by shoehorning in so many characters at once rather than developing any of them. If they pull this off, it will be amazing because this is the type of move that usually spells doom for a movie.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
SmugFrog said:
Samtemdo8 said:
See that's the problem; you're not getting the 4 hour epic, you're getting the 2 hour trimmed down version cramming in as much content as they can to try and make up for the 2 hours of lost content "bloated" version. If they had 4 hours of story based content then there's 4 hours of content! Taking out half of it could mean that the leftover half ends up an incoherent mess with no logical progression or explanation.

The more I hear about this movie the less hope I have for it - and this is coming from someone that's a fan of Batman and didn't mind the Superman movie (despite there being several story decisions that just didn't make sense or make for a good cut).

VoidWanderer said:
Exactly! They want to catch up to what Marvel has done by shoehorning in so many characters at once rather than developing any of them. If they pull this off, it will be amazing because this is the type of move that usually spells doom for a movie.
Why only Batman? Is he really the only DC hero that matters to you? Man I feel sorry for the rest of the DC heroes.

And if going by that logic Marvel is suffering from the same problem I mean look me in the eye and tell me Age of Ultron wasn't a bloated mess? I mean seriously I heard they cut an hour of footage from the theatrical release.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
Why only Batman? Is he really the only DC hero that matters to you? Man I feel sorry for the rest of the DC heroes.

And if going by that logic Marvel is suffering from the same problem I mean look me in the eye and tell me Age of Ultron wasn't a bloated mess? I mean seriously I heard they cut an hour of footage from the theatrical release.
I've never been a fan of comic books or superheroes really. Batman appealed to me because it was a normal guy (granted, a really REALLY rich normal guy) acting as a vigilante. My only experience with Superman has been with the films, and I enjoyed the Christopher Reeve versions when I was a child. I was never interested in "oh that character's DC; that one's Marvel" and didn't know there was a sort of rivalry until I was older. I note it with as much interest as seeing two hobos fighting over a ham sandwich. I don't think you need to feel sorry for the rest of the DC heroes; they're fictitious and I don't think their feelings are going to get hurt. I'm sure somewhere, however, someone that's making money off of all these IPs are wishing they could somehow find a way to connect with everyone to increase their sales.

Uh... sure, I'd love to look you in the eye and tell you that Age of Ultron wasn't a bloated mess. I loved the movie and thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in a while. The movie was pretty much universally liked and did well for itself; so your argument really comes off as sounding like you're a DC fan being kind of bitter about it? I'm not a Marvel fan either and honestly didn't know much about the heroes in those comics until the Marvel movies gained a lot of attention. A good movie is a good movie - and all of the things I've been reading about the Batman v Superman movie just don't sound like the makings of a good movie. Will I watch it? Without a doubt - on DVD. I'm not going to go to the theaters to see it. I just believe that Marvel has really set up a successful universe for themselves in creating a story arc for each character separately and tying them together rather than trying to rush it all at once. It's almost like the setup for the DC Universe is doing the opposite of what Marvel does just for the sake of being different. Part of me hopes this movie will succeed, because it's an interesting concept - and the other part of me just wants to watch it burn up and flop in a mess of its own filth because that will be the proof of what so many people are believing it will be. Deadpool; is he DC or Marvel? I can't wait to see that movie. You can tell him not to have his feelings hurt.