Batman v Superman's Move Matters, But Not for the Reason You Think

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Sidmen said:
Nuxxy said:
Green Lantern? That must mean there is a Pink Lantern too? And a Periwinkle Blue, right?
I know it's not your point. But there actually are Pink Lanterns. And Red Lanterns and Blue Lanterns, even Yellow Lanterns.
But Pink Lanterns aren't called pink lanterns. They're Star Sapphires! Ya know...cause they're women and all so they can't just be pink lanterns. They need a girly name too.

I assume that's why they're called Star Sapphires that is.

I also really don't understand why people find the title so weird. I've seen peoples excuses and they just ring sort of hollow.

No matter how much you try to convince me I will continue to say that Thor: The Dark World and Captain America: The Winter Soldier sound incredibly silly to say out loud.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
<quote=From The Article>Alice in Wonderland 2

<quote=From The Article>Alice in Wonderland 2

<quote=From The Article><color=black>Alice in Wonderland 2

Yeah, the pushback to March is really interesting in light of Winter Soldier's success there, but really, the true eyegrabber here is

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Batman Vs. Superman is going to be a horrible film and possibly under perform horribly. It's almost a certainty. There are at least 5 new characters, not nearly a talented enough team. (I gave Sucker Punch another chance recently. The only way I could remotely enjoy it was by pretending I was watching Heavy Metal.) There is zero set up like Marvel did with the Avengers. Which is like building a Skyscraper without a foundation. They want to fast track this ad they are doing it wrong. Marvel was very smart in getting genre directors to work on the films which more often than not has paid off big time. For all Whedon's faults he knows how to make a ensemble flick. Dawn Of Justice is going to suck horribly. it's pure maths

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
So during the (now) brief period when Disney/Marvel's Captain America 3 (not the final title) and Warner Bros/DC's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (unfortunately, the final title)
Anyone else here who doesn't really see the issue with "Dawn of Justice" as a title? As far as I know whacky names are pretty much a superhero staple, then again I'm more of an outsider looking in with that particular "scene".

So yeah, my point is: what's so bad about "Dawn of Justice" as a title compared to names like "Iron Man", "Wonder Woman" or titles like "The Winter Soldier"?
I thought the issue was that it was just a long title with a rather blunt beginning. "Batman v Superman" just sounds incredibly off and makes the film (had I not done any research into it), sound like a two hour long fight scene between two enemies which realistically shouldn't be able to put on a fight for that long. Then "Dawn of Justice" which is just added fluff to what we know about the film thus far (yes, I know the film is a Justice League prequel). It's not a Justice League movie and if it's a prequel then I doubt the film's story will revolve around the forming of it (especially when two members of the trinity are fighting each over).

OT: There's going to be an Alice in Wonderland 2? That's sad, and a little late isn't it? It will have been over half a decade between movies.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
The overall issue seems to be how it fits. While "The Winter Soldier" is an actual military term born out of investigations into Vietnam and later Iraq, and also fits the movie due to it being a character's name, Dawn of Justice is neither relevant to the movie (even less so now that there are a whopping 5 standalone or duo movies before Justice League by the looks of it) and is the most generic title since Rise of the Guardians.

fieryshadowcard

May 18, 2011
Evonisia said:
I thought the issue was that it was just a long title with a rather blunt beginning. "Batman v Superman" just sounds incredibly off and makes the film (had I not done any research into it), sound like a two hour long fight scene between two enemies which realistically shouldn't be able to put on a fight for that long. Then "Dawn of Justice" which is just added fluff to what we know about the film thus far (yes, I know the film is a Justice League prequel). It's not a Justice League movie and if it's a prequel then I doubt the film's story will revolve around the forming of it (especially when two members of the trinity are fighting each over).

OT: There's going to be an Alice in Wonderland 2? That's sad, and a little late isn't it? It will have been over half a decade between movies.
There are quite a few problems with BvS:DoJ besides its length, and they become more apparent when you attempt to make a more cohesive title.

1) Just say Batman v Superman. On its own, the concept is one that gets the point across, but of course, it's always less what you say and more how you say it. This feels like a monster bash title, like Godzilla vs. Mothra, and gives it more of a B-movie feel, one that's only offset because of its A-list icons. Then, as has been pointed out in this very thread, the "v" versus, well... "vs" makes it sound more like a legal battle than a physical one, which could very well happen (and might actually be awesome), but could potentially be misleading depending on what type of trailer DC/WB decide to go with. Very few movies survive or even thrive off of misleading presentation. Audiences don't usually like going in to one movie expecting to see another, even if that movie was good (this coming from someone who genuinely liked "The Village" even with all of its Shyamalan-esque problems).

2) Just say Dawn of Justice. This is easily the better selling title, but considering the content of the movie, it feels contradictory to what audiences will actually see. The emergence of the Justice League seems like it will be a by-product of the more immediate clash between Batman and Superman. Perhaps the League will form in the final act, or the foundations for the League will be set in the final scenes, but that's not what the movie's about. Dawn of Justice, while a solid title, would have been better for an actual Justice League movie, not its build-up.

3) Rearrange them to be Dawn of Justice: Batman v Superman. Strangely enough, the problems with BvS:DoJ disappear significantly when you reverse them, and here's why. Batman v Superman, while shlocky, actually makes a better subtitle than it does a main. Also, because most people when talking about works that have subtitles tend to drop the subtitle in casual conversation for the sake of brevity, you get the full weight of the title (DoJ:BvS) with the better main title (DoJ), rather than their current title (BvS:DoJ) leaving you with the sillier but more factual main title (BvS). The semantics of word order don't seem like they should be that important, but they actually are. It rolls off the tongue better than the opposite, even though it's the same words and the same exact amount of syllables, and it somewhat negates the issue that just saying Dawn of Justice by itself would have (A movie advertising the emergence of the League that's actually just about a clash between Batman and Superman) because of the modifying subtitle. Of course, as Zontar pointed out, Dawn of Justice is undermined by the amount of related movies that will come out before the actual Justice League movie does.

I initially thought the issue was the length of the title, but then I switched them. And it sounded so much better. Instead of a "Batman and Superman duke it out, something, something... yada yada... and now Justice League" title, it instead pitches a "The unprecedented and major alliance of superheroes worldwide was catalyzed by the historical event of two major superhero figures in conflict with one another" title.

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
fieryshadowcard said:
Evonisia said:

There are quite a few problems with BvS:DoJ besides its length, and they become more apparent when you attempt to make a more cohesive title.

1) Just say Batman v Superman. On its own, the concept is one that gets the point across, but of course, it's always less what you say and more how you say it. This feels like a monster bash title, like Godzilla vs. Mothra, and gives it more of a B-movie feel, one that's only offset because of its A-list icons. Then, as has been pointed out in this very thread, the "v" versus, well... "vs" makes it sound more like a legal battle than a physical one, which could very well happen (and might actually be awesome), but could potentially be misleading depending on what type of trailer DC/WB decide to go with. Very few movies survive or even thrive off of misleading presentation. Audiences don't usually like going in to one movie expecting to see another, even if that movie was good (this coming from someone who genuinely liked "The Village" even with all of its Shyamalan-esque problems).

2) Just say Dawn of Justice. This is easily the better selling title, but considering the content of the movie, it feels contradictory to what audiences will actually see. The emergence of the Justice League seems like it will be a by-product of the more immediate clash between Batman and Superman. Perhaps the League will form in the final act, or the foundations for the League will be set in the final scenes, but that's not what the movie's about. Dawn of Justice, while a solid title, would have been better for an actual Justice League movie, not its build-up.

3) Rearrange them to be Dawn of Justice: Batman v Superman. Strangely enough, the problems with BvS:DoJ disappear significantly when you reverse them, and here's why. Batman v Superman, while shlocky, actually makes a better subtitle than it does a main. Also, because most people when talking about works that have subtitles tend to drop the subtitle in casual conversation for the sake of brevity, you get the full weight of the title (DoJ:BvS) with the better main title (DoJ), rather than their current title (BvS:DoJ) leaving you with the sillier but more factual main title (BvS). The semantics of word order don't seem like they should be that important, but they actually are. It rolls off the tongue better than the opposite, even though it's the same words and the same exact amount of syllables, and it somewhat negates the issue that just saying Dawn of Justice by itself would have (A movie advertising the emergence of the League that's actually just about a clash between Batman and Superman) because of the modifying subtitle. Of course, as Zontar pointed out, Dawn of Justice is undermined by the amount of related movies that will come out before the actual Justice League movie does.

I initially thought the issue was the length of the title, but then I switched them. And it sounded so much better. Instead of a "Batman and Superman duke it out, something, something... yada yada... and now Justice League" title, it instead pitches a "The unprecedented and major alliance of superheroes worldwide was catalyzed by the historical event of two major superhero figures in conflict with one another" title.
Only problem with that is a lot of the time the subtitle becomes the main title. Especially when the main title is the same for the series like James Bond, Harry Potter and Captain America. Everyone calls it Winter Soldier because they don't want to call it Cap2. So most people will probably call it Dawn of Justice when it comes out just because it is more unique than using Batman for the millionth time. Then again they may call it something else, who knows we may just abbreviate it and all call it DoJ. That sounds nice.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
lacktheknack said:
From The Article>Alice in Wonderland 2 <quote=From The Article>[B said:
Alice in Wonderland 2[/B]

Yeah, the pushback to March is really interesting in light of Winter Soldier's success there, but really, the true eyegrabber here is

This is what I took away from this also. Where could they even go with this sequel? Alice is going off to be a businesswoman in the East Indies. The Wonderland world is more or less settled into Happily Ever After mode. It'd be like Home Alone 4 or something.