Batman vs Robin = ? to watch?

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Just saw the animated movie Batman vs Robin. Was kind of surprised by several of the darker elements in it. Interested in seeing more.

I know there are two other movies but are these part of the greater animated series or are the separate? If they're part of it, should I buy the series and start at the beginning first? (I can't legally stream in my country and to buy it would be expensive so this is a big decision.)

I want something with the same kind of tone (murder of Robin, all that gory comic book stuff) but I'm kind of new to the animated side of things. Yay or nay?

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
"Batman vs Robin" is the second part in a trilogy of sorts with "Son of Batman" as the beginning and "Batman: Bad Blood" as the end.

In my opinion "Batman vs Robin" is the best of these and easy to watch independent of the others though they do all share the same tone and violence abd the same voice actors carry over.

There are other films such as "Justice League War", "Throne of Atlantis" and "Justice League vs Teen Titans" that are also connected with this series if you are interested in continuity.

I would also recommend "Batman: Under the Red Hood" and "The Dark Knight Returns parts 1 & 2". They fit the tone you are after perfectly and are some of the best animated films DC have made in my opinion. Also they are completely self contained and free from internal continuity.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Throne of Atlantis is the goriest movie after Batman vs Robin, though that's not saying much.

If you want to see a "good guy" killing people, Batman: Under the Red Hood has that and also happens to be one the best DC animated films.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox is the most violent DC animated movie and aswell The Killing Joke.

Yeah I kinda view Batman Vs Robin as the Damian Wayne triliogy or rather series now with the fourth movie he's in Justice League Vs Teen Titans.

It's basically in this order
Son of Batman
Batman Vs Robin
Batman: Bad Blood
Justice League Vs Teen Titans

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Thanks guys, I'ma look them up right now. If Red Hood is what I think it is, that should be fun.

Sounds like they're not part of the animated series though? Is that right?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
VondeVon said:
Thanks guys, I'ma look them up right now. If Red Hood is what I think it is, that should be fun.

Sounds like they're not part of the animated series though? Is that right?
Throne of Atlantis is part of the New 52 DCAU (which is Justice League War, Batman vs Robin, etc), Under the Red Hood is standalone, Flashpoint is kind of part of the New 52 DCAU, but is really more of a standalone thing.

None of them are in any way related to BTAS, STAS, JL, or JLU.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
Throne of Atlantis is part of the New 52 DCAU (which is Justice League War, Batman vs Robin, etc), Under the Red Hood is standalone, Flashpoint is kind of part of the New 52 DCAU, but is really more of a standalone thing.

None of them are in any way related to BTAS, STAS, JL, or JLU.
Cheers, Bob.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I'm surprised that on one mentioned Justice League: Gods and Monsters. It's alternative universe story. It's different people taking up the mantle of Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman. Since, they are different people. They are not beholden to the "don't kill" rule as Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne, and Diana Prince are.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
King Billi said:
"Batman: Bad Blood"
Oh really?
Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'll crawl back under my rock now.

I'm also going to recommend Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. It's not quite as violent as some of the others mentioned here, but it is one of the best Batman movies, animated or not. It also has one of Mark Hammill's best Joker performances, so there's also that.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
KissingSunlight said:
I'm surprised that on one mentioned Justice League: Gods and Monsters. It's alternative universe story. It's different people taking up the mantle of Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman. Since, they are different people. They are not beholden to the "don't kill" rule as Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne, and Diana Prince are.
Damn, I forgot about that one! Yeah, I do think Gods and Monsters is better than the current DCAU. Gore without being childish, and unique reimaginings of the DC universe.