Batman vs Superman "unlikely to pass a billion" according to analyst & Synder to still direct JL

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-mulls-releasing-films-881265

Some competitors say the film may turn a profit but hardly will be the money gusher studios hope for when they pour massive resources into making a giant tentpole with a big star ? with a budget in this case said to be in excess of $300 million, and Ben Affleck. "The biggest problem," says the head of a rival studio, "is that it is not turning [DC] into Marvel. The audience has communicated, as have the critics." One agent notes BvS likely won't get to $1 billion despite launching the universe with "two of the most iconic characters in history." Pointing out that Jurassic World pulled in $1.67 billion globally, he continues, "you can't tell me Batman v. Superman is so much less valuable."

Several sources say Warner Bros. executives were convinced they had the goods with BvS and were shocked when negative reviews began pouring in. Now, with DC movies dated through 2020, the outcome has led to a flurry of rumors that the studio will make adjustments ? maybe add a new producer? ? rather than allow BvS director Zack Snyder to proceed with the two-part Justice League. But sources with firsthand knowledge of the situation say the studio has no such plans. One says the filmmakers naturally will evaluate what went wrong with BvS, but when it comes to Justice League, "we're not going to take a movie that's supposed to be one thing and turn it into a copycat of something else."
If and it's looking more like when Cap 3 beats this a the box office, Warner might have to look again at Nolan and Snyder's involvement. One thing Marvel has done well is bringing writers who have also wrote comics, so why not bring in someone like J Michael Straczynski.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
MatParker116 said:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-mulls-releasing-films-881265

Some competitors say the film may turn a profit but hardly will be the money gusher studios hope for when they pour massive resources into making a giant tentpole with a big star ? with a budget in this case said to be in excess of $300 million, and Ben Affleck. "The biggest problem," says the head of a rival studio, "is that it is not turning [DC] into Marvel. The audience has communicated, as have the critics." One agent notes BvS likely won't get to $1 billion despite launching the universe with "two of the most iconic characters in history." Pointing out that Jurassic World pulled in $1.67 billion globally, he continues, "you can't tell me Batman v. Superman is so much less valuable."

Several sources say Warner Bros. executives were convinced they had the goods with BvS and were shocked when negative reviews began pouring in. Now, with DC movies dated through 2020, the outcome has led to a flurry of rumors that the studio will make adjustments ? maybe add a new producer? ? rather than allow BvS director Zack Snyder to proceed with the two-part Justice League. But sources with firsthand knowledge of the situation say the studio has no such plans. One says the filmmakers naturally will evaluate what went wrong with BvS, but when it comes to Justice League, "we're not going to take a movie that's supposed to be one thing and turn it into a copycat of something else."
If and it's looking more like when Cap 3 beats this a the box office, Warner might have to look again at Nolan and Snyder's involvement. One thing Marvel has done well is bringing writers who have also wrote comics, so why not bring in someone like J Michael Straczynski.

J Michael Straczynski wrote Spiderman One More Day :p

And I already posted this topic not the same title but the articles I linked mentions the same thing

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Looks to me like WB/DC thought that a movie with Batman and Superman would be good and successful no matter what they did. So they didn't make an effort writing a good movie. That's why the reviews are so poor and why this movie is doing less than great.

The thing is that Man of Steel didn't have great reviews, either. You would think they would have seen the mistake and fixed it there. Instead they seemed to double down on everything that was wrong with MoS.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Saltyk said:
Looks to me like WB/DC thought that a movie with Batman and Superman would be good and successful no matter what they did. So they didn't make an effort writing a good movie. That's why the reviews are so poor and why this movie is doing less than great.

The thing is that Man of Steel didn't have great reviews, either. You would think they would have seen the mistake and fixed it there. Instead they seemed to double down on everything that was wrong with MoS.
Man of Steel took 14-16 weeks to get to 600+ million in the Box Office.

Batman v Superman so far got 700+ Million in around 2 weeks.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Before anyone calls it a failure, keep in mind it's still been wildly successful. $700 mil in 12 days is nothing to sneeze at. They've made more than double the cost of the movie so they are well into the profit margin now. The wonders of marketing, eh? As for comparisons to other movies, Jurassic World was a fun movie to watch and also had considerable nostalgia behind it which it played and picked to the bone. I haven't seen BvS (and I don't really intend to even on Netflix), but it has an uphill climb with me in terms of a final boss fight. How awesome was it to see all the dinos duking it out?

If you want to know what really does surprise me with the performance of BvS, it's the fact it's currently trailing behind Zootopia which still has to open in a few markets. It will likely be surpassed, but by how much?

EDIT:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=disney2016.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2015.htm

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Saltyk said:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2012.htm

Wow. I guess the key marketing point was Batman was in it. I thought for sure it would hit the $1 bil mark.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
It be stupid to turn back now, even if it didn't make a lot of money or wasn't particularly good, it did do the one thing it really needed to do and that was set up the DC Universe.

It's set up now, so long as the next couple movies are good (and there is no reason it they shouldn't be, a lot of world building is out of the way) things will work out fine.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
DudeistBelieve said:
It be stupid to turn back now, even if it didn't make a lot of money or wasn't particularly good, it did do the one thing it really needed to do and that was set up the DC Universe.

It's set up now, so long as the next couple movies are good (and there is no reason it they shouldn't be, a lot of world building is out of the way) things will work out fine.
And that is why I don't want it to fail because I don't want these movies to go through reboots.

I already suffered it with Spiderman, I do not want to suffer it with DC movies.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
PainInTheAssInternet said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Saltyk said:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2012.htm

Wow. I guess the key marketing point was Batman was in it. I thought for sure it would hit the $1 bil mark.
And Wonder Woman being in it aswell.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
DudeistBelieve said:

And that is why I don't want it to fail because I don't want these movies to go through reboots.

I already suffered it with Spiderman, I do not want to suffer it with DC movies.
I mean the worst thing would be we have to sit through another Batman origin story.

Which I actually wouldn't mind. I think we could stand to see Batman vs The Mafia a few more times before that gets old, especially since every movie seems to gloss over that on the way to the supervillians.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
PainInTheAssInternet said:
Before anyone calls it a failure, keep in mind it's still been wildly successful. $700 mil in 12 days is nothing to sneeze at. They've made more than double the cost of the movie so they are well into the profit margin now. The wonders of marketing, eh? As for comparisons to other movies, Jurassic World was a fun movie to watch and also had considerable nostalgia behind it which it played and picked to the bone. I haven't seen BvS (and I don't really intend to even on Netflix), but it has an uphill climb with me in terms of a final boss fight. How awesome was it to see all the dinos duking it out?

If you want to know what really does surprise me with the performance of BvS, it's the fact it's currently trailing behind Zootopia which still has to open in a few markets. It will likely be surpassed, but by how much?

EDIT:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=disney2016.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2015.htm
Actually most industry experts say that the break even point on Dawn of Justice is around $800 million ($250 mill budget, double for promotion/advertizing, and the movie studios only receive 50-60% of the box office money), but they will no doubt get there since they just hit $700 million, but studios don't make movies to break even. That is why it was said that the movie needed to hit at least a million to be considered a success.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Wuvlycuddles said:
MatParker116 said:
so why not bring in someone like J Michael Straczynski.
Nice idea but they should really bring in Bruce Timm and Paul Dini instead
Paul Dini may not be a good idea since so far he "botched" Spiderman in the Disney Channel's Ultimate Spiderman show (According to this one reviewer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEF15xET9EA

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Paul Dini may not be a good idea since so far he "botched" Spiderman in the Disney Channel's Ultimate Spiderman show (According to this one reviewer)

Always just assumed I didn't like it because I was old, mostly because my little cousin and his friends love the show.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Wuvlycuddles said:
MatParker116 said:
so why not bring in someone like J Michael Straczynski.
Nice idea but they should really bring in Bruce Timm and Paul Dini instead

Well no-one has a 100% success rate, and it's not like his work for the DCAU has been received negatively, especially if you team him up with Timm. Plus, according to his wiki page he's worked on a few comics as well.
Got to admit, having looked at Goyer's IMDB page I'm surprised just how few of the things I recognise (or at least, know have been received positively). Didn't even know he worked on one of the Ghost Rider films.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Samtemdo8 said:

It's not bad (the Spider-man cartoon), though it's certainly not great. It's just really intended for a younger demographic, younger than even Teen Titans Go. Also, that video was made when the cartoon released. Not many shows do so well on their first seasons.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Bob_McMillan said:
Samtemdo8 said:

It's not bad (the Spider-man cartoon), though it's certainly not great. It's just really intended for a younger demographic, younger than even Teen Titans Go. Also, that video was made when the cartoon released. Not many shows do so well on their first seasons.
I admit I like the show for its animation. The art style envokes the old school animated cartoons of the 90s like the DCAU and Marvel's X-men and yes 90s Spiderman (And to a lesser Extent Gargoyles and 90s Johnny Quest)

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
I consider this whole mess to be an attitude problem in the same vein as ubisoft/EA/squeenix. They make a trend-chasing product, bland it up in the blander(tm) and assume that if they shove enough marketing budget in it, it will make them all the money. Oh, except they spent waaaaay too much for the product they got, and they were depending on it making all the money.

And what do they do when they have a mediocre product that didn't make as much money as they want despite making more money than it should? Blame people! It must be the fans, or the critics!

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I love how they were "sure" they had a hit. I wonder what the execs saw that drove them to that conclusion, given that Man of Steel was poorly received by fans and critics alike (I generally liked it but there were tone and plot issues galore.) So they double down on the things people hated, combined two of the worst stories in each character's cannon (BvS and Death of Supes,) turned the grimdark up to 11 and watched a trainwreck of a plot unfold before their eyes, and they were sure they had a hit. Fucking Hollywood.