Batman: Year One Gets Animated

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
crimsonshrouds said:
warfjm said:
Kevin Conroy as Batman and Mark Hamel as the Joker or I'm not watching.

End of story. Thankyouverymuch.
you have aparently never watched under the red hood.

John dimagio did an awesome job btw im a huge fan of mark hamil joker
Can I just say that I agree with both of you? Mark Hamill does do the single best version of the Joker ever. He pretty much defined the character for me. Seriously, the laugh.

On the other hand, John Dimaggio did do an excellent job. I kinda feel watching that clip that he used the Mark Hamill's work as a reference (his laugh was pretty good, too). Seeing as how Mark Hamill says he won't voice the Joker anymore after Arkham City, I would be just as happy to have John Dimaggio take up the role. And yes, that movie was pretty good.

warfjm

Nov 14, 2007
crimsonshrouds said:
warfjm said:

I watched the clip. Mark Hamill is still better. You can't beat the laugh.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
I would personally love to see No Mans Land animated, though it is a pretty long series so I guess it would be hard to turn it into a movie (could easily be made into a short series though. I guess the problem would be getting it to sell since it's VERY side-character heavy)

Smallells

Feb 18, 2010
Having never read a batman comic in my life, I promptly read up on the synopsis on wikipedia. I gotta be honest, a LOT of the story elements seemed to have inspired the events within Christopher Nolan's movie 'Batman Begins'. Sure, only a minority of the events, but still - won't it just seem like something that's happened before?
(Not a rhetorical question, please feel free to set me straight!)

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
SuperMse said:
Sonicron said:
So... I guess Kevin Conroy was busy?

I'm actually not very familiar with Frank Miller's Batman stuff, so I'll be watching this without nostalgia/fanboy goggles.
Good. Most of Frank Miller's work is absolute garbage, not to mention that he's rather misguided in his general viewpoints.

That said, Batman: Year One, and to a lesser degree, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, are some of the most well-constructed pieces of Noir you will ever read. Also, Batman.
Those two are pretty much the only good Batman related stories Miller has done. The All Star Batman and Robin thing he wrote was absolute GARBAGE saved only by the stellar artwork. Seriously, who the hell makes a Joker character NOT FUNNY?

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
Saltyk said:
crimsonshrouds said:
warfjm said:

Can I just say that I agree with both of you? Mark Hamill does do the single best version of the Joker ever. He pretty much defined the character for me. Seriously, the laugh.

On the other hand, John Dimaggio did do an excellent job. I kinda feel watching that clip that he used the Mark Hamill's work as a reference (his laugh was pretty good, too). Seeing as how Mark Hamill says he won't voice the Joker anymore after Arkham City, I would be just as happy to have John Dimaggio take up the role. And yes, that movie was pretty good.
A bit of good news, Mark Hamill isn't apparently retiring after Arkham City. There was some sort of mix up, but he's still doing the voice.

thedevilscousin

Nov 14, 2010
Tdc2182 said:
Very Cool.

Isn't Frank Miller the guy who hates it when other people make his comics into animated/live action things?

Or am I thinking of someone else?
That's Alan Moore, the guy who wrote V For Vendetta and Watchmen

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
They did that with the last Batman animated movie, "Under the Red Hood."

It seems like a lot of people here haven't heard of any of the other Batman animated movies that have been coming out. Go watch "Under the Red Hood." It's awesome.

Thumper17

May 29, 2009
Sonicron said:

I think he retired from Batman, if not, he DOES have Arkham Asylum 2 to worry about.

That said, very interested, but I still need to read the comic :S.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Thumper17 said:
Sonicron said:
I think he retired from Batman, if not, he DOES have Arkham Asylum 2 to worry about.
... Weird, I kind of forgot about that.
Anyway, Conroy didn't retire from his role as Batman, but sadly Mark Hamill said he'll be done with the Joker after Arkham City.

SpaceCop

Feb 14, 2010
Not sure about the animation style, but we'll see how this turns out.

But you know what I'd rather see? Dark Knight Returns. Live action. Clint Eastwood as Batman. Get Snyder to do the actiony bits and Nolan to do the talky bits. C'mon, it'd be awesome!

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I like the art style. I'd deffinately watch this.

I was watching this while listening to "His World" and it sort of fits.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Wickerton said:
Can anybody tell me what makes Franks version different/better than what I already know?
Back when Year One was published the whole dark/gritty/realistic phase was only just starting in comics, so at the time it had a lot of impact. Year One was doing Nolanesque 'realism' 20 years before The Dark Knight.

Miller was great back then. The Dark Knight Returns was like nothing else we'd seen and Year One is cut from the same cloth. It's a shame that these days he's become a complete parody of himself.