Battlefield 1942 Goes Free

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Requires Origin, huh? Enthusiasm gone, will not get. All glory to the Steam Overlords, joking comments one could interpret as 'fanboyism' but in actuality are preference to a delivery system this one finds superior, you get the idea.

Besides, does it have HATS?! NO, I say, no it does not! Team Fortress 2 is better because it has hats.

vfn4i83

Apr 11, 2008
VladG said:
Well, this is mildly interesting, I never really got into the Battlefield games

Andy Chalk said:
the game requires Origin, EA's Steam-style online service that gamers love to hate. No Origin, no Battlefield.
Aaand it's gone.
+1

Dont you guys ever think that EA is doing this from the bottom of its heart, is using a great game to attract a public to the platform no one (in his sane stat of mind) wants.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
Honestly, even though I despise origin, I can still see the point that a digital release of a game would make sense to put on origin. However what annoys me is they only put it up for grabs for 5 months meaning it wont reach its intended audience before its too late meaning this was nothing but a crappy marketing stunt. I would however love to see a HD release, I mean wtf EA you have a money machine next to you and your not using it??!??!?

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
It says that the free version MP is not compatible with the box version. Why?

Anyway, still have my game disc and both expansions and I don't feel the need to download this version when it wont work with my favorite servers.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
What? Sorry, i was to busy playing minecraft to notice or care, and my Battlefield 3 game was moved to the lowest point on the shelf because of your mandatory 2GB update which is like a huge tax on the poor whom only have 4GB Arcade Xbox 360's.

GoldenEye

Jan 10, 2012
vfn4i83 said:
VladG said:
Well, this is mildly interesting, I never really got into the Battlefield games

Andy Chalk said:
the game requires Origin, EA's Steam-style online service that gamers love to hate. No Origin, no Battlefield.
Aaand it's gone.
+1

Dont you guys ever think that EA is doing this from the bottom of its heart, is using a great game to attract a public to the platform no one (in his sane stat of mind) wants.
From the bottom of its heart?! You are aware that EA is a private compeny, right? Of course they are doing it also to promote Origin, but where will they offer a free digital copy of a game if not on their very own digital distribution system?

OT: That's great, I remember fondly BF1942. I wish only I would have time to play it.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Super bummed that origin players and disk players can't play against each other.

God I'm torn over this- do I jump on the origin bandwagon so I can ruthlessly wipe out all the kids flocking to it, or stick to the disk version?

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
First reaction: Yaaaaaaaaaaaay, free Battlefield!

Second reaction: Ah, damn, origin and no playing with boxed versions online.

Third reaction: Origin wants to to connect to game or whatever and refuses me to go online.

Fourth reaction: Stuck in offline mode and can't do shit, fuck Origin.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
So lets see, you require origin, you cant play with those who have boxed versions and you don't get the expansions, sorry but no.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
It's not that I necessarily care about Origin itself as a client, but that I even have to download their dumbass client AT ALL. I've already had to suck it up some and download effing Uplay when I bought my copy of Far Cry 3 off Steam. And I have to boot it up EVERY TIME I want to play it because it can't use Steam's system for some reason... Even though it's already ON Steam. >_>

And as everyone already said, it's not THAT great of an offer considering that it doesn't come with any of its expansions. So yeah, that's why I, personally, am turning my nose up at this.

If people want an amazing alternative to this that doesn't use Origin, I would HIGHLY recommend Insurgency with the WW2 mod which the devs even officially supported.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:
It's not that I necessarily care about Origin itself as a client, but that I even have to download their dumbass client AT ALL. I've already had to suck it up some and download effing Uplay when I bought my copy of Far Cry 3 off Steam. And I have to boot it up EVERY TIME I want to play it because it can't use Steam's system for some reason... Even though it's already ON Steam. >_>

And as everyone already said, it's not THAT great of an offer considering that it doesn't come with any of its expansions. So yeah, that's why I, personally, am turning my nose up at this.

If people want an amazing alternative to this that doesn't use Origin, I would HIGHLY recommend Insurgency with the WW2 mod which the devs even officially supported.
it's ok, this offer expired 3 years ago...