Battlefield 3 and Team Work

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I'm curious what sort of experience you all have in Battlefield 3 with regards to team work. Personally, I rarely am in a squad that works together beyond using each other as spawn points. And as far as vehicles go, you can forget about it most of the time.

I am guilty of not sticking with my squad, however, unless I'm playing Recon I do like to stick with groups of people as it's usually safer.

Vehicles are my favorite part about the game. I just got my service star for Main Battle Tanks (full unlocks), and I spent an entire game flying the Venom around - as pilot you have zero weapons, so my end score was like 0-7 with maybe 800 points, but it was a blast and I helped a lot of people cap flags by dropping them off.

Anyway in all this time, I find it pretty rare to get, for example, a tank gunner who's any good or who doesn't bail out after a random amount of time. I also am getting no help in the CITV station I unlocked, where someone can laser designate targets and then I have guided shells that can take out any air craft in 1 shot - and it works on ground vehicles too. And it doesn't miss from flares because it's not heat guided. In that level I was flying the Huey (Venom) around, more often than not I was on my own with maybe 1 gunner. Occasionally a couple people would spawn and then hop out right away.

I also find that many people aren't willing to communicate. For example just telling your team what's happening - Tank at B! or Chopper lasered! or Big rush at C! can be a huge help, yet all you see in chat is people bitching about someone sucking/cheating/sucking/being a dick. Or sucking.

That was a bit long winded, but anyway, just curious if everyone else is noticing the same thing? Maybe you play with a few dedicated friends and don't have that issue? I'd like to have a group of good players I can play with all the time but I generally can't use my mic nor can I usually know ahead of time what days I'll be able to game so it makes it hard.

Feb 18, 2009
I find if you just have two or three friends who are willing to play with you and voice chat then you can get pretty good team play with your squad. Never managed whole team coordination though.
I also find that if there's no communication on the enemy team but your team has even one squad talking to each other your win-loss ratio gets a lot better. Just find a couple of mates!

xvbones

Oct 29, 2009
Wolfram01 said:
I also find that many people aren't willing to communicate. For example just telling your team what's happening - Tank at B! or Chopper lasered! or Big rush at C! can be a huge help, yet all you see in chat is people bitching about someone sucking/cheating/sucking/being a dick. Or sucking.
Welcome to multiplayer.

I know it sounds like I am being snide or snarky here but I mean absolutely no offense and am in fact thoroughly commiserating.

The thing is, not only is this not a new thing, this is basically a wholly universal thing.
It is the way it has been in basically every single team-based PVP game, from FPS to MMO to RTS.

If you are looking for teamwork, you must bring your own team.
Get a friend or two to come along with you, it will make all the difference in the world.

That or suck it up and flat-out stop caring whether you win or lose and just try to take as many of them with you as you can because this will not change.

Everyone in your pug thinks they are the star and everyone else sucks.
It's utter balls but it's just how it is.