Battlefield 3 Is Free For EA's On The House Program

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Strazdas said:
Metalrocks said:
origin is really not bad. i personally had no issues with it. in fact, i at times prefer it a bit more than steam. already alone for the download speed. with steam it downloads between 600 to 800kbs. wile origin is over 800kbs, up to 2mbs.
Origin has gotten a lot better recently and they seem to be genuinely working towards making it good. From what me talking to one of their guys tells me is they are a semi-autonomi from EA and can work towards making things better for users.
They lie about download speeds though. Steam gives you actual download speed. Origin gives you unpacked file size speed. you download a file at 800kbps and then unpack it locally into game files which take more space than downloaded one, Steam reports the speed you download, Origin reports the size of unpacked files, thus it makes you look like you download faster but in reality your downloading the same and they just lie about it.
really?? than how come it does download faster when it reaches 2mb/s. just to make it clear, its not like it stays at 2mb/s all the time. had it maybe for a few mins then it went back to 1mb or to 800kb/s. downloaded titnafall (which is 50gb) and it took me a over a day. wile with steam, with a steady 800kbs, took over a day just to download 15gb.

but yes, origin is getting better. already that they offer discount to games which i took advantage of as well. got my self all 3 crysis games for 200HKD. crysis 3 was the hunters edition that included the soundtrack and part 2 of the game. so i would say that was a good burgeon.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
Alright, numbers time!
thanks for the numbers, gona add 3 more to that this evening as me and two friends are going to start playing.

Metalrocks said:
really?? than how come it does download faster when it reaches 2mb/s. just to make it clear, its not like it stays at 2mb/s all the time. had it maybe for a few mins then it went back to 1mb or to 800kb/s. downloaded titnafall (which is 50gb) and it took me a over a day. wile with steam, with a steady 800kbs, took over a day just to download 15gb.

but yes, origin is getting better. already that they offer discount to games which i took advantage of as well. got my self all 3 crysis games for 200HKD. crysis 3 was the hunters edition that included the soundtrack and part 2 of the game. so i would say that was a good burgeon.
it looks faster because origin shows larger numbers but in reality it takes the same time. why the titanfall example was different could be many factors. your ISP may have had more traffic to spare at that time, or you started downloading from steam at a later hour, ect. with speeds so low its your end thats throttling the connection and not steam/origin, and your end is unstalbe as ISPs often switch the speeds to lower load elsewhere, ect. especially when they lack bandwith wihch is why they give you such speeds to begin with.

yep, origin seems to be genuinely trying to give good experience to users, and that in my eyes is commendable.