Battlefield 3 Open Beta Begins With Advice from DICE

Captain Epic

Jul 8, 2010
Wow. On Ps3 there are so many problems with this beta.
1.Plenty of glitches like falling through the ground and such.
2.While starting up the game, messaging friends or even opening the ps3 menu will cause the system to freeze, and you must restart.
3.When I set up a squad, we could't play together.

I want to stay optimistic that they'll patch it, but this is quite insulting. Especially considering how great Bad Company 2 was.

Irradiated Tiger

Feb 8, 2010
I dowloaded the beta. Then found out all my drivers are dated even though I got this laptop in May of this year. I am very sad-pants. :( I can't update the crap either from the sites provided.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Does anyone else get the feeling that releasing a "beta" for a game pretty much has absolutely no purpose anymore other than to hype up a game for what is essentially a demo for the game?

Really think about it, many betas are now being released only a few weeks before the actual game is being launched, and by then everything is already put in place. They dress up the betas as fancy as they can, basically putting in all the features they've been touting already, and just let us test the servers. Sure, maybe it also helps with some balance issues, but on the whole every time I've been in a beta it's just presented to you as "you are already going to by the game, so here's a little taste of what you'll be getting".

I mean, really, at this point I'm sure everyone's been in a beta of some kind and yet the keep touting it as if it's such a big deal, basically another method of advertising their game. "Preorder now and get early access to the beta!" is what they say, and it works. It just feels like a glorified demo at this point.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
Jumplion said:
Does anyone else get the feeling that releasing a "beta" for a game pretty much has absolutely no purpose anymore other than to hype up a game for what is essentially a demo for the game?

Really think about it, many betas are now being released only a few weeks before the actual game is being launched, and by then everything is already put in place. They dress up the betas as fancy as they can, basically putting in all the features they've been touting already, and just let us test the servers. Sure, maybe it also helps with some balance issues, but on the whole every time I've been in a beta it's just presented to you as "you are already going to by the game, so here's a little taste of what you'll be getting".

I mean, really, at this point I'm sure everyone's been in a beta of some kind and yet the keep touting it as if it's such a big deal, basically another method of advertising their game. "Preorder now and get early access to the beta!" is what they say, and it works. It just feels like a glorified demo at this point.
That's exactly what this is. Its a public release of the alpha to hype the game, still a he'll of a teasing time killer.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Frost27 said:
Jumplion said:

That's exactly what this is. Its a public release of the alpha to hype the game, still a he'll of a teasing time killer.
Oh, it sure is, but I think the concept of a public beta has lost its touch.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
A Gent of Villainous Intent said:
I downloaded it

Excited to play online

Can't connect to server.
Same story here. I'm waiting for the 'EA server' to stop fluffing around.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Feel you on those issues buddy, albiet it's on the PS3. We're having similar problems on our version. The damn squad thing might end up being a deal-breaker for me. I play these games as much to chat with my friends as to play the game. Chat being anything from BSing to (more often) calling out enemies and organizing strategy. Hope they get these issues sorted out.

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
Anybody else read the post up until it says PC needs origin. Then shake your fist and yell ORIGINNNNNN? (at least in your mind.)

I'll pass. EA servers are usually bad, even for games like Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age. Frequent bugs saying you can't connect and poor support. Seems like EA hasn't changed from BC2.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
As someone who has barely played Battlefield, I wasn't really enamored with what I played this evening. I want to play Battlefield for big open battlefields, blowing up buildings and riding around in tanks and such. This Metro level is HORRIBLE for showing what Battlefield should be about.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Comic Sans said:
As someone who has barely played Battlefield, I wasn't really enamored with what I played this evening. I want to play Battlefield for big open battlefields, blowing up buildings and riding around in tanks and such. This Metro level is HORRIBLE for showing what Battlefield should be about.
If you are a PC bro, snag the password for one of the Caspian Border servers, it's truly Battlefield. :p

OT: My complaint, other than the shit map and bugs, is that you die too fast.
Kills tactics like a mofo.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
I've had fun with several of the Battlefield games, but I'm not nearly as hyped for this as my game magazines say I should. Sounds a lot like a graphics update to me. I'd have still bought it if it wasn't for Origin and it's terms of use that seem to have cribbed some notes from George Orwell, a weird server browser... and that rap-trailer didn't help either.

Oh hey, I see that Sword of the Stars 2's release date is set to 3 days after Battlefield 3. Well, guess I'll be busy anyway, no point in picking it up on release anymore.

Spencer Petersen

Apr 3, 2010
JoesshittyOs said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Just once, I want a game to portray realistic shotguns. You know, guns that don't lose their effective range after ten feet? The ones that can kill at up to 100 feet?
Realism does not equal fun.

You know a game that portrayed the most realistic shotgun? Modern Warfare 2 Spas.

That also happened to be one of the most overpowered game in a thing filled with overpoweredness.

Realistic shotgun ranges do not translate well in videogames.
Except in L4D

And by the way I have no idea why a spas 12 in 2010 is pump action when the 1968 version in black ops was semi auto.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Spencer Petersen said:
JoesshittyOs said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Just once, I want a game to portray realistic shotguns. You know, guns that don't lose their effective range after ten feet? The ones that can kill at up to 100 feet?

You know a game that portrayed the most realistic shotgun? Modern Warfare 2 Spas.

That also happened to be one of the most overpowered game in a thing filled with overpoweredness.

Except in L4D

And by the way I have no idea why a spas 12 in 2010 is pump action when the 1968 version in black ops was semi auto.
Left 4 Dead isn't exactly a competitive shooter.

And remember to take Call of Duty's logic with a grain of salt. The Spas wasn't invented till the late 70s

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
What little of the Beta I played I love, but my terrible graphics card can barely run it. Damn you Nvidia 8600 GT!

Spencer Petersen

Apr 3, 2010
JoesshittyOs said:
Spencer Petersen said:
JoesshittyOs said:
Soviet Heavy said:

Except in L4D

Left 4 Dead isn't exactly a competitive shooter.

And remember to take Call of Duty's logic with a grain of salt. The Spas wasn't invented till the late 70s
Just because a game is a competitive shooter doesn't mean the guns cant be balanced. Modern war games could have tons of uses for shotguns like door breaching, incendiary rounds, flechettes, bean bags. They could even provide an interesting dynamic by making the shotgun effective versus lightly armored enemies but ineffective versus armored dudes except at extreme close range, or maybe make the shotgun less damaging but very effective at knocking you over or breaking your sprint. But then again the only choice in combat gear you seem to get nowadays is whether you want be be effective at any range or useless at all but one range.

(oh and the 1887s were way more overpowered than the spas in MW2, i know its fun to include a joke weapon in your game, but goddamn don't make the joke be that it ruins your already feeble game balance)

The Elcor Batman

Jun 9, 2011
I personally quite enjoyed the beta, glitches and all. Although vehicle-laden map is..just not right.

ALthough its kinda odd that the Assault kit has the defib and medkit, and the support kit has ammo packs. although that could have been a bigger glitch i dont know about....