Battlefield 3 Premium Enlists 800,000 in 14 Days

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I was wondering why I was feeling like I was being screwed by 800k people at the same time.

People are pissed off because its accepting the developers pushing an unwanted precedent that will effect ALL games, not just shooters. This is just an early step to what it will evolve into and it only gets much worse from here.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
I can tell you that there is one main reason that this worked out, and its the reason I got premium to. Saving $$$ on map packs you would of bought anyway.

Thats the only reason why I, and many others, bought it. We save 10 bucks in the long run (Considering if you already bought Karkland. $75 dollars without). If it would of been $60 or more, I would of let it slide.

Honestly, I kinda give EA props on pretty much discounting their map packs, though I still greatly hate this new trend of high DLC prices.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
thats a joke. just read these 116 pages. even premium members (most of them) hate this crap.
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654625056132067/1/

i personally dont have it and never will. i already have B2K map from the limited edition. so why should i pay for something twice? the only thing i bought was the CQ DLC, which i do enjoy but it does seem like you have to use more bullets on enemies to kill them.

premium is a joke anyway. sure, it does look beneficial by getting early access to DLCs and other stuff, but paying for something you dont know if it will be any good, is just a rip off. i dont want them all, i play TDM only and dont care about vehicles.
its from ?A, you know they dont care about their products, they just want your money.
plus, they throw premium at us like we must have it. like they punish you for not having it. every time i play this game, im practically the only non premium member on the server. i hardly see anyone without it.

also this double XP is even a bigger joke. i have no premium and i still end up having more points then a premium member. hell, even when my team loses, and im the first in my teams score board, i still have more points then the enemy top player, who has premium and has even more kills then me.

but i still enjoy the game though, even when i get a bit angry at the premium crap.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
In this particular instance, I don't really see a need for any of the freaking out that seems to be going on...

If people want to pay extra money for a bunch of possibly nice but probably unnecessary items/'privileges' - why stop them? It's their money.

I'm hard pressed to think of many things these days that you *can't* somehow pay more to upgrade on. Most big games have a 'deluxe' edition where the quantity/quality of the random stuff you get may or may not equal what you paid extra. No-one seems to complain about those. Stand still long enough in any food outlet and you'll be encouraged to upsize/add-on/whatever your order. What about that?

And this is coming from someone who lives in a country where the vanilla games can already cost NZ$130 (USD$104 at the moment, apparently)at launch.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Will be saving a load of money with Premium on all the expansions. It was a no-brainer for me.

Also Close Quarters is pretty much Modern Warefare multiplayer rolled into a few really good maps and without the kill streak crap. Been playing it since the Premium release 3 weeks ago. Really looking forward to playing more expansions.

Zukabazuka

Mar 7, 2012
Saucycarpdog said:
Zulnam said:
You know, for diehard BF3 fans, this is a decent deal.

The pack offers 5 DLCs, which alone would come at about 75 euros (14.99 each). Add up with all the other minor crap (best of which the double XP events, for most players) and it's not a bad deal for 50 euros.

Probably won't get this one, myself, though. I rather buy the DLCs at my own pace, maybe when they're at an offer or something.
And it actually is fair. COD Elite just lets you get the maps early but you still have to pay for them. BF3 premium lets you get maps early AND you already paid for them by getting premium.
And you get to keep the premium title for a life time, while elite only last a year. So yeah its a lot better really.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
ASnogarD said:
The issue isnt really about BF3 premium , if thats where it stopped no problem you can select to participate or not... no issue.

The issue is that EA will take this to the next step, and push for making it a none choice ... or shall we just say it will make it too attractive to not bother with by shrinking the core game even more and adding the rest of the game as premium content which none members can buy as DLC.
You could buy a reduced core game for your $60 and pay $50 annually for $80 worth of DLC, or buy the game for $60 and pay $80 for the rest of the game... you dont think EA will actually add more content, it will simply with hold more content from the core.

Now, imagine if that annual fee included other games, all Dead Space 3 DLC , all Simcity DLC , etc etc... wouldnt it be worth paying $50 for all that... especially when EA takes more out the core game and turns that to DLC , artificially increasing the DLC amount for the same effort.

You will end up basically choosing to boycott EA, or participating in the premium subscription model...

...or do you think I should ditch the tin foil hat ?
I share your fears.

We've gotten numerous examples of core games being reduced to allow for on-disc/day 1 DLC, and it's only been getting worse and worse.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm older (28) than many gamers. Maybe it's the fact that I'm primarily a PC gamer. I have enough difficulty conceiving that people are willing to pay $20 for what equates to a small map pack, but this is a whole different story.

I know many will say "if you don't think it's worth it, don't buy it". Nevermind how DLC can split a community. The reason is bothers me is that even if I don't buy it, enough people will that it makes the publishers a profit (it doesn't take too many), so they become more and more aggressive with DLC, passes, and other such nonsense.

When publishers first started pushing DLC people raged, and eventually bent over and excepted it. Then there's DLC you can only get if you buy the game new, and people accepted that. Then online passes. Etc... it's just a terrifying progression... And this is the only industry you'll see this sort of trash in.

valkeminator

404Th Ravens. No.04
Nov 19, 2009
I got negative EXP point in BF3, and then now i am trying to *shamefully* buy BF3 Premium... and it DOESNT EVEN LET ME BUY and I kept getting error messages...

nice job EA.

Neyon

May 3, 2009
Well I am shocked. Time to admit the battlefield series is as good as dead then.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
itsthesheppy said:
I think it's time we admit defeat, gents. We lost the culture war.
Never! I used to like EA but god damn it's not like they want people to like them.

The mindless sheep should be sacrificed to the god of "STOP PAYING MONEY FOR SKINS AND STAT VIEWING YOU MINDLESS CUNTS!"

Seriously though EA already fucked up BF3 in my opinion. I've said it countless times that it just isn't as good a game as it could have been for a whole assortment of reasons.

EA killed it for me when you couldn't find a normal game for the bullshit server rental.

I went and played Pokemon instead. It was fun.

Zukabazuka

Mar 7, 2012
Can someone please explain to me how its bad to buy it? It's cheaper to buy premium than buying all the DLC alone. Australia saves up to 50AUS on this. Its not like all of those people are gonna buy every single premium for every other game EA release. Oh yeah one DLC usually cost around 15?/$ maybe more somewhere else.

The queue function isn't that friendly yes, but I only use it to get in to Metro 24/7 servers. The other stuff isn't exactly giving us an upper hand. In fact it will mean a lot of player will be available for the future DLC, because it's a lot harder to get people to buy the last DLC than the first DLC. If anything it will keep most DLC alive for a longer time.