Battlefield 3 Will "Probably" Use Online Pass

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
Catalyst6 said:
Abandon4093 said:
If they do stuff like this, there should be an option to simply buy the multiplayer or single player games separately.
You can do that already. You just have to buy it used and not buy the online pass! :D
How do you just buy the multiplayer then?
Ah, but why would you ever want to do that? That's like saying that you want to read the last fifty pages of a novel. Decent enough, but without any context it's worthless.

Reliq

Nov 25, 2009
Grey_Focks said:
You realize that they don't make ANY money off of used sales, yet they still need money to keep servers up....right?
You realize that the only reason they need money to keep the servers up, is that they force you to use their servers.... right?

[Edit] And one (not the only) reason they force you to use their servers is so that they can decide the lifespan of the game and shut the servers down just in time for the next sequel to be released. Its a very good way to force a product they sold to become obsolete and get you to pay for the next game. But then who really wants to play a game that you put hours upon hours into getting good at anyway. Just look at CS.

[EDIT2] I'll say one thing for some game developers now a'days, they sure know how to turn a profit while ********* their customers and still having them defend their virtue. But I guess noone wants to admit they have taken it up the tailpipe. Blissfully ignorant is the way to go ;)

[Oh my thats a lot of EDITS] And I thought BF3 was going to have dedicated servers? So why do used game players need to pay for server costs on player run servers? This seems like a no loss interred cash compensation for the developer. Or does dedicated servers no longer mean what they used to mean(That the servercode is released with the game so your funloving neighbour with a 100mb connection can run his own)? Please correct me if I'm way off my mark here.

Sicram

Mar 17, 2010
It's probably already been said but I can't (unfourtunatly) not be bothered to read through everything.

First off, the MW games use crappy P2P system where it also sufferes from "host advantage" among already laggy players being crowded on some poor shmucks consumer grade internet. So they have no other servers to keep running except the main server(s).

They should let the console players have some official servers and then let the rest get by a la PC style; community people renting/setting up and managing them. DICE and EA should actually look into this because then they wouldn't need to have "online passes" seeing as the community would stand for their own servers.

One might argue that consolers don't want to manage servers but I bet some of them do, although they'd a need a PC (or even just a notebook) for that if they want the managing to be even somewhat smooth.