Battlefield 4 Announced in Medal of Honor: Warfighter Trailer

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Battlefield 4 Announced in Medal of Honor: Warfighter Trailer

Battlefield 4's beta window has been set for "fall 2013."

In a new example of cross-pollination [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118514-EA-Battlefield-Medal-of-Honor-Serve-Different-Audiences] between EA's biggest FPS franchises, EA has officially announced the existence of Battlefield 4 in a trailer for upcoming spec-ops outing Medal of Honor: Warfighter. The trailer, in addition to dropping details regarding Warfighter's multiplayer, invites players to note that a pre-purchase of the "Limited Edition" version of that game will grant them access to Battlefield 4's beta, set for launch in "fall 2013."

Details on the exact nature of Battlefield 4 are scarce, though safe bets would probably involve the inclusion of tanks, guns, and maybe the occaisional chest-high wall [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/miracle-of-sound/5914-Shooter-Guy]. Announcing the beta, EA promised that more details on the game will be "revealed at a later date."

Frank Gibeau, President of EA Labels, sounds pretty pleased with the whole thing. "Though Battlefield and Medal of Honor: Warfighter each offer players a completely unique experience, they are united by their underlying technology base - Frostbite. These are two of the hottest shooters, coming together to deliver a one-two punch of action, intensity and shooter entertainment," he said in a statement.

Medal of Honor: Warfighter (and its hands-on multiplayer coverage [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117891-Devs-Announce-Medal-of-Honor-Warfighter-Charity-Project] from E3.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Might not be getting this one. There's only so much you can do with modern military games and anything you can add or change with Battlefield 3 can easily be done within the current game. No need to update it so soon unless they plan to overhaul the engine.

J. Mazarin

Jun 25, 2012
Waaghpowa said:
Well given how soon the Beta is, I think I can safely say that EA has adopted the annual CoD model. Guess I wont be getting this one. There's nothing they couldn't update that they haven't already done through expansions.
wat

Battlefield 3 came out in 2011, and since the beta for BF4 starts late in 2013 it'll likely come out in 2014. That's like 2.5 years apart at least.

OT: Bleh. I prefer the days when every shooter was set in WW2 rather than all this generic MODURN WURFURR crap. Medal of Honor had the genre all to itself, and decided to be a fucking lemming and go along with everyone else.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
J. Mazarin said:
Waaghpowa said:
Well given how soon the Beta is, I think I can safely say that EA has adopted the annual CoD model. Guess I wont be getting this one. There's nothing they couldn't update that they haven't already done through expansions.
wat

Battlefield 3 came out in 2011, and since the beta for BF4 starts late in 2013 it'll likely come out in 2014. That's like 2.5 years apart at least.
Mis read 2013. It's early. It's also still too early to be releasing a new multi player game based on the modern military. What could they honestly add or change that can't be done with the current game anyway? Battlefield 2 was released in 2005 and people were playing it right up until 3 was released.

bfgmetalhead

Aug 4, 2010
Yo dawg I heard you like generic shooters so I put a generic shooter in your generic shooter so you can generic shoot while you generic shoot.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
People still play Medal of Honour?
Maybe it's escaped your mind that people like different things. But I will remind you that people do in fact like different things. No need to thank me for telling this piece of information but it's sure to come in handy when you keep posting.

As for this, well I'm not mad or anything. Just want to see what DICE does with it.

Waaghpowa said:
Mis read 2013. It's early. It's also still too early to be releasing a new multi player game based on the modern military. What could they honestly add or change that can't be done with the current game anyway? Battlefield 2 was released in 2005 and people were playing it right up until 3 was released.
Ok, lets hold off ANY game until the previous game is completely dead and when no one is playing it. That'll make the fans happy as only then it would be worth moving on right?
Couldn't possible be because some people might not want to play a game for 1-2 years straight and want some variation.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Zefar said:
hazabaza1 said:
People still play Medal of Honour?
Maybe it's escaped your mind that people like different things. But I will remind you that people do in fact like different things. No need to thank me for telling this piece of information but it's sure to come in handy when you keep posting.

As for this, well I'm not mad or anything. Just want to see what DICE does with it.
Hey, I don't dislike MoH, and I never played BF3 or MW3, being the main competitors, I have just heard next to no talk about Medal of Honour for years excluding stuff from EA.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Zefar said:
Ok, lets hold off ANY game until the previous game is completely dead and when no one is playing it. That'll make the fans happy as only then it would be worth moving on right?
Couldn't possible be because some people might not want to play a game for 1-2 years straight and want some variation.
People have been playing CS 1.6 and CS Source for about a decade now and CS GO is being made as a more accessible version across all platforms rather than the PC only versions there are now. People have been playing TF2 for about 5 years now, there's no TF3 and all extra content is free. Blizzard hasn't released a World of Warcraft 2 because they've added content to the original game with expansions.

a Aside from reskins, new maps and balance tweaks, which can be added within the original game in the form of patches, CoD is essentially the same game unless you're playing it for single player.

It's not that people are wanting variation, it's the companies wanting you to give them more money.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Waaghpowa said:
Lets see, BF3 was released 2011, beta is in Fall of 2013... assuming release date is early/mid 2014, that is a good 3 years of waiting for a sequal. Not even CLOSE to the CoD Model.
In case you failed to read the other posts before responding, I fixed my statement due to sleep deprivation.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Funny, I have Sleep Deprivation right now.

So no, I did not read any other posts past the first few.
Excellent, we're in the same boat. All aboard the S.S Sleepy time.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
bfgmetalhead said:
Yo dawg I heard you like generic shooters so I put a generic shooter in your generic shooter so you can generic shoot while you generic shoot.
I'll admit it. I laughed at this post.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
People have been playing CS 1.6 and CS Source for about a decade now and CS GO is being made as a more accessible version across all platforms rather than the PC only versions there are now. People have been playing TF2 for about 5 years now, there's no TF3 and all extra content is free. Blizzard hasn't released a World of Warcraft 2 because they've added content to the original game with expansions.

a Aside from reskins, new maps and balance tweaks, which can be added within the original game in the form of patches, CoD is essentially the same game unless you're playing it for single player.

It's not that people are wanting variation, it's the companies wanting you to give them more money.
I know those have been played a long time but does it matter? The ones who keep playing it are the hardcore crowd and those have been sold in the millions. Where are all of those other people now? Obviously not playing their game.

Game developers do not want to be locked down to one game for several years unless they can do different things on it. One reason why TF2 and WoW works well for a long time. You can make all type of crazy stuff for it. TF2 art style also make it quite hard to kill in terms of graphical level.

Still for me all of those games are boring. I've played them all and now they are just not fun anymore.

Game Devs also can't survive on making a single game and focus on it forever. Maybe for MMORPGs but it has to be with a large population.

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
How is this a surprise? Honestly.

DICE has long ago jumped on the EA "release a virtually identical sequel annually and make sure you don't do anything interesting" bandwagon.