Battlefield 4 Claims DDOS Attack Is Killing Its Servers

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
weirdguy said:
so what you're saying is that they treat everybody else they deal with like ass in order to treat their primary customers like ass, and people still pay them for it?
Yes, exactly that, because sadly people are stupid.

However, as a counter point, when Battlefield is working, when your team is working and when the other team is working, it really is that good that people seem to forget about all the bad stuff.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Glaice said:
And this is why you should have dedicated server capability in your MP games for the PC version.
That is not the problem, BF games have always run on (mostly) privately owned servers, except the console versions, but what the hell are you doing buying those?

The problem is that EA have moved the stat tracking and account management from the client side (your computer) to the server side (their computer and the server company's computer) as a form of DRM, but their infrastructure is not up to the job. They did this to a degree in BF3, tracking stats on both sides and syncing to one or the other at the user's choice. But they've gone the whole hog in BF4 and now your computer doesn't store stats at all, which is at least partially responsible for the current fustercluck.

Captcha:accidently on purpose, it knows, IT KNOWS!!!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
weirdguy said:
so what you're saying is that they treat everybody else they deal with like ass in order to treat their primary customers like ass, and people still pay them for it?
Yes, exactly that, because sadly people are stupid.

However, as a counter point, when Battlefield is working, when your team is working and when the other team is working, it really is that good that people seem to forget about all the bad stuff.
Glorious. Just glorious. I'd even say it is glorious even if your team is disjointed, as long as your squad is working well.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Considering how much of a mess the PC version is, I wouldn't believe this. The product just isn't ready from what I've seen.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
MinionJoe said:
AstaresPanda said:
DDos attacks are the thing to blame these days it seems.
Back in my day, we'd blame sunspots. Yup! Solar-electromagnetic flux causing instability in the microchips and causing bit-flip. Answer to any problem.

Couldn't print? Sunspots. Lost your Word document? Sunspots. Random BSoD? Sunspots!

Though, before DDoS and sunspots, such problems were blamed on devils bewitching the circuits.
Can't get an erection? Sunspots. Failed math? Sunspots. Internet connection only downloads at 3kb/s? Dial-up.

OT: Hard to say if this is really DDOS attacks or simply EA messing up. Knowing EA and the people who dislike EA both seems equally plausible.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Eh, I believe them.

I wouldn't have believed them claiming not to be dicks. But they're not claiming that. They're claiming other people are dicks, which I fully believe.

Let's face it, EA has more than enough resentment from people ( quite a bit of it deserved I'd say ), for some of them to do shit like this. Considering the huge amounts of relatively unprotected computers around the world it's really not very far-fetched at all that a group of dicks with both hacking knowledge and a grudge against EA would do this. On the contrary, I deem it quite likely.

Whether or not it was a good move from EA to put all the stat-tracking on their dedicated servers is another matter entirely, but as previously established EA are dicks as well.

So it really boils down to this I'd say:

A bunch of dicks are making a dick move by DDoSing a company of dicks who left themselves vulnerable by doing a dickish thing.

God... I suddenly feel like eating some sausage now...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Xbox fans are so angry they are DDOsing now?

weirdguy said:
so, is the current launch day strain impressive enough that a small number of people can take it the rest of the way down, or is there somehow a group of people with large enough resources to dwarf what is conceivably the majority of the console market attempting to play a popular game in its fourth iteration that grew up in the age of FPSes?
One person playing a game takes 1 constant conenction at a time.

Me, on the other hand, could set up the LOIC[footnote]LOIC is a freeware program that even a child could use. Not sure if rules permit giving its full name.[/footnote] to run 30.000 connections every second and it still wouldnt fully load my internet. In fact, i could probably double that if i wanted to dedicate my cheap consumer grade internet connection to that alone. The beauty of fiber optics. 1 Person ddosing is like tens of thousands gamers giving you load. If they can handle, say, 100.000 players at once, that means 3 guys could ddos them even if noone else used it. Obviuosly, they can handle in millions, but the servers arent empty either.

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
I call bull on this "DDoS" excuse. EA/DICE claimed the same thing with BF3 earlier this year, despite the fact that chronic, unrepairable server crashes have been a problem for that game since late 2012. They haven't provided a shred of evidence to back up their claim of outside-party shenanigans.

I'm not alone in suspecting that Battlefield's crappy network code is ultimately to blame for the server crashes, especially when considering how many other factors they've tried to bring into blame -- PunkBuster, hardware conflicts, Origin/Battlelog interference, busted registry entries, improper game installation, outdated .dat files, blah blah fucking blah.

It's a smokescreen. DICE are incapable of fixing an ongoing problem, so they're making shit up now and hoping their customers will eat it without thinking.