Battlefield: Bad Company 2 DRM Detailed

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I will assume that this is the truth they are telling, for sake of argument.

I'm curious about the digital version, because useing a physical disc these days feels kind of like blowing into a cartridge, or playing on 56k. But as it is...yes, yes, this will do. I challenge anyone to name a situation where this DRM would hinder any legitimate buyers capability to play in any significant degree. We gotta to face facts that SOME DRM is a necessity. Sure, someone will always hack the game, and someone will always release it for free. But it's like locking your car door. Someone can get your car if they really want, but even a little security will dissuade the vast majority of thieves. Rock on, DICE. You have done good, and I sincerely hope the PC community rewards you. And when fewer people pirate your game then the harsher DRM-protected games, heres hoping publishers stop burning there own money in an attempt to harm legitimate buyers.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
This is reasonable, I have no problems with this at all. I'll likely buy this game. It's refreshing to see that EA more or less learned their lesson with the install limits. I really don't see the reason for having a 30 year lifetime to it though... I'm pretty sure bad company 10 will be out by then.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Oh well, I remember the Starforce software, I can't say it's the best idea, Starforce or SecuROM, but in any case, I hope it doesn't affect the experience of the regular buyers.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Actually now that I think about it, you probably do need something like this it you're going to have dedicated servers for multiplayer. You need someway to keep people who downloaded the game illegally from flooding the servers. Otherwise you have the same thing that happened to DemiGod on launch day. Still given SecurRom's reputation.

I wasn't really planing on getting this for PC anyway so i guess it doesn't matter.

robrob

Oct 21, 2009
Odds are they could have renamed the software to SimpleDRM, released it in this format and most people wouldn't have batted an eyelid. Only uses it if you're going online, doesn't leave anything installed, no install limits. I can handle that, it's less than what Steam does (can't play single player without at least connecting to steam.

Thanks for actually thinking about it, EA, I'll buy your game.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Actually, this isn't bad at all, and I see no major problem with it. No internet is required for single player, and just a simple, one time activation on the internet for multiplayer.
I know it isn't no DRM, but it is a lot better than some.

-IT-

Feb 5, 2008
Bretty said:
I love these posters that are still upset it is there and wont buy it...

Kinda retarded really? Its like you are angry just so that you can remain angry?

This DRM wont affect you at all... Either Int or Disk check... no extra files installed. What is the fucking problem people?

I cry 'SHEEP!!!' on this one.

Way to go Dice. I for one will be buying your awesome product.
Agree. I can understand that people are upset with install limits, rootkits and unnecessary online activations, but deciding to boycott (or pirate) an game with even an mild version of DRM like this is just pointless.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
[tinfoil hat]

The DRM that has been so frustrating to gamers over the past years, that when a limited version of securom is used, people find it reasonable because it's "not nearly as big an assraping" as it used to be, where the companies wanted it to begin with.

[/tinfoil hat]

wait for a crack that keeps the junk off your system.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
Who buys SecuROM anyhow? Publishers? Why do they pay for something that:

1) Infuriates their customers
2) Does nothing else?

I mean, at best, it infuriates their customers less than other applications of SecuROM.

I also find the SecuROM blurb to be quite hilarious:
PC games and software are great business. By providing your products and services to the market you satisfy many people around the world. They love entertainment and see great value in your products.

Over the years, market requirements and consumer behaviour have changed. The PC games and software industry need to understand these changes and adapt their products and services accordingly.

Whether it is new business models such as Try & Buy or providing additional customer value by offering downloadable content, consumer satisfaction is what drives your business.

This is where SecuROM steps in.
(http://www2.securom.com/ - Emphasis theirs.) I think everyone can agree on what's said.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
While I still don't udnerstand what they hope to acomplish by this, i think it's fair enough, that they're making it affect the costumers as little as possible.
If I udnerstand this right, all i have to do is put the disc in when i'm playing. This is no different from back in the days, and some games still require that.

Also, i can chosoe not to haev the disc in (which is nice cause i'm lazy) by just beeing connected to the internet, which i always am. And if my net goes down, i can still just pop the disc in.

I don't see this as a problem for the players, only a unneccecery expense for the company, caus eit can and will be pirated the moment it comes out or before regardless of what kind of protectiopn they put on it.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
SecuROM DRM doesn't work as intended, it has never worked (intended or otherwise). It's an expensive waste. It doesn't stop piracy, it's not even a speed bump. Steam or the Day One DLC are at best limiting potential piraters. Short of killing the pirates and those who do, limiting is the best they can acheive.

Remember the episode of the Simpsons where the town spends an outlandish fortune to keep bears away? Homer pays Lisa money for a rock which keeps tigers away (since there are no tigers, the rock must be working), SecuROM is like that rock.

guardian001

Oct 20, 2008
Well, if it must have DRM, I suppose this is a favorable option. No installed DRM that doesn't leave with the game, online activation good for several decades, online activation not required.

Still ultimately futile, but at least it's not going out of its way to piss of the paying customers.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
So the only point in bringing back the whole dedicated server issue was to say that while BC2 will have it it will also have a very myuch less intrusive SecruROM, err or howeveer its spelled?

BonerMacTittyPants

Aug 3, 2009
What the hell are you people at The Escapist trying to do? SecuROM is nothing in comparison to the lack of Dedicated Servers.

It's going to be midly-annoying at worst, and you people are trying so damn hard to make it seem like it's the end of all good things.

Jeez, who writes those newsposts?

Zani

May 14, 2008
It could've been much worse, I haven't had the best experiences with SecuROM but I'll manage.