Battlefield BC2 Recon Class

CrikeyO

Jul 1, 2009
I searched the forums and couldn't see a thread like this so here goes ...

Is it just me who thinks that the Recon class in Bad Comapny 2's multiplayer is abused for all the wrong reasons?
An example, today I was playing Rush on the attacking side, and joined a squad full of Recon players. I normally don't mind what classes my squad with, but for the entire match my squadmates just sat there and sniped in at the defenders from our bases.
Needless to say, since defenders have infinite respawns they kicked our asses.

So is it just me or is there a large contigent of noobs who think Battlefield is Modern Warfare 2?

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
I think more people play the Recon class as a more sniper-oriented one, which means you're only getting half of the benefit of playing the class by sticking back and killing from a distance for the entire game.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want more Recons to sneak into the M-COMS, lay a few charges, then sprint back out to safety - which is pretty much the entire point of the class.

For the most part, my Recon teammates are competent.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
Unfortunately, this is true in just about any game where the objective is something other than "kill the most people". Battlefield BC 2, Team Fortress 2, Day of Defeat, or even Battlefield 2 always have the douches who prefer high k/d ratios to teamwork.

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
This is true, some people just want frags. I don't think they realize how many points there's out there to get by doing squad activities. One revive gives you +50 points, just like killing an enemy does.
It has happened to me before too, whole attacking team sets up a camp on the hill, complete with medics and assaulters too revive and resupply. It usually means we lose.

Have you played on hardcore mode before? Woo, bolt-action rifles are one hit one kill, imagine that.

CrikeyO

Jul 1, 2009
Hazy said:
I think more people play the Recon class as a more sniper-oriented one, which means you're only getting half of the benefit of playing the class by sticking back and killing from a distance for the entire game.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want more Recons to sneak into the M-COMS, lay a few charges, then sprint back out to safety - which is pretty much the entire point of the class.
I wouldn't mind so much but if you're going to sit back and snipe you could at least spot targets or whatever. Recons have a lot ofabilities available to them, that's why it annoys me to see Kill/Death lovers on my team.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Depends on who you're playing with. Sometimes people don't abuse it. But like any sniper in any game ever, it will be abused.

Alien Mole

The Quite Obscure
Oct 6, 2009
I think they might be able to fix this by implementing a few carbine-ish recon weapons. Light, high-mobility but fairly weak automatic weapons like BF2142's Lambert Carbine, y'know? It wasn't a good weapon statistically but the recon kit also had a cloak and C$ and that made it devastating for special ops.

I know that theoretically the shotguns are supposed to fill that void but they're a bit situational, and most of the all-class weapons I've seen so far are still too long-ranged to make them a viable choice for a 'special ops' kind of role.

I know that two 'main' weapon classes on a kit might mess with the game's design philosophy, but c'mon, less snipers is never a bad thing. Or just add a few decent all-class SMGs and let me play a high-mobility sniper. That'd shut me up too.

llew

Sep 9, 2009
i think it is abused for the wrong reasons but it does get pretty damn annoyin when most of your team are usin it and stayin back and snipin and only u are chargin the enemy and gettin ur ass kicked in the process...

FURY_007

Jun 8, 2008
Yeah, that's really annoying, if I'm ever the recon class, I usually equip the Thompson or M14 or Garand, unless I'm defending. I just did this to max out my recon class, and for the C4, but now if I want the C4 I'll just equip my Assault class with the G3/M14/Garand so it gives me C4.

YouCallMeNighthawk

Mar 8, 2010
heavy gunner that's me :D

Everyone chooses recon because you can shoot them without being seen, i on the other hand prefer face to face killing.

EDIT: To win BC2 you need to work as a team where you are not all the same class as each has their own upper hand to the others .... well that's what the sexy IGN lady on XBL said :D

Zap Happy

Mar 28, 2010
This annoys me too. I mean, no one will respect your K/D if you lose. Well, I guess some might, but they shouldn't!

TyrantGanado

Oct 21, 2009
I've had it happen to me to the point where I was the only one planting charges...and even then we still lost because defence would kill me and disarm them. Got rid of one M-COM and lost on the first base thanks to those bastards. Still, when you have a Recon player who knows what they're doing and doesn't sit still then it can be a godsend.

Personally I try to shake my class up mid-round to go for different approches.

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
All recon players I have encountered are a load of retarded wookies who need a swift kick in the balls. I got into a rush game, as an attacker, and my whole team, with 3 exceptions, was recon.

You chances of losing go up with the more recon players you have. Proven fact.

andmuem

Sep 12, 2008
dont get what you have against snipers... when i play wih my friends i always play as the sniper, in any game.
i find a high spot, and lay down a covering fire + spot people who are moveing into their position as they are advancing towards the objective

that is in my eyes what a sniper is supposed to do

this also mean i dont use the C4 in BFBC2, since the artillery strike suits the purpos much better...

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I play the Recon class all the time, but use a Sniper Rifle for Defending and the WW2 Thompson for Attacking.

C4 every time, damn I love the feeling of blowing a tank with 4 people in it to smithereens!!

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
Alien Mole said:
I think they might be able to fix this by implementing a few carbine-ish recon weapons. Light, high-mobility but fairly weak automatic weapons like BF2142's Lambert Carbine, y'know? It wasn't a good weapon statistically but the recon kit also had a cloak and C$ and that made it devastating for special ops.

I know that theoretically the shotguns are supposed to fill that void but they're a bit situational, and most of the all-class weapons I've seen so far are still too long-ranged to make them a viable choice for a 'special ops' kind of role.

I know that two 'main' weapon classes on a kit might mess with the game's design philosophy, but c'mon, less snipers is never a bad thing. Or just add a few decent all-class SMGs and let me play a high-mobility sniper. That'd shut me up too.
damn lambert...
if they could sooner git the VSS and slap a reddot on it, then advance with me and sensor ball while I restock them, then recons could be my bros.
or use the tommy (some do, nice!), G3A3, M14 EBR Mod0, or even M1 garand, or a shotgun.
but until then, I will have to smoke them until they rush, then hope they keep the idea in later rounds.

Shynobee

Apr 16, 2009
Well, I have 3 friends who I can regularly squad with, and we always work it out for one person per class. When I recon while we're on offense, I tend to hang back and snipe out anyone who tries to take out my buds while they plant the bomb. Occasionally I'll call down a mortar strike, but I usually don't have to resort to that.

As for all sniper squads, yes I have seen those, and they upset me so. There really isn't much you can do about it either, other than try and join the other team, switch to an engineer and wreck them with a tank or chopper.

skywalkerlion

Jun 21, 2009
No. They wouldn't give you a sniper rifle if the point of the game was to do nothing but spot.

And why the heck are you complaining about recon not using their class right? I see plenty more Medics acting like idiots not playing their class correctly.

And Recon is very useful in Defense games if you know how to snipe. AND I see way more people using the akimbo models in MW2, and rarely see anyone attempt to snipe there.