Battlefield Director: "We Strongly Want To Get Into Linux"

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Battlefield Director: "We Strongly Want To Get Into Linux"

It would only take one "killer" game for the Linux platform to explode its way into mainstream gaming, says DICE creative director.

Linux, the Unix-based operating system, has been slowly gathering gaming support over the years. Its open-source nature and light-weightedness makes it a very attractive alternative to Windows, yet it just hasn't really "taken off" yet. DICE director Lars Gustavsson says that it would only take one "killer app" to make the platform explode into mainstream gaming, and the Battlefield 4 developer is very seriously considering adopting the platform.

"It took Halo for the first Xbox to kick off and go crazy - usually, it takes one killer app or game and then people are more than willing [to adopt it] - it is not hard to get your hands on Linux, for example, it only takes one game that motivates you to go there,"

Gustavsson sees Valve's SteamOS, a Linux-based gaming operating system, as "healthy competition", as he believes that Valve's foray into the living room will open up the market to explore new, and perhaps better, ways of consuming games.

"We strongly want to get into Linux for a reason," Gustavsson said. Could we possibly be looking at a Linux port of Battlefield 4? He told us that the studio actually already utilizes Linux to run its dedicated servers because it is a "superior operating system to do so."

So what do you guys think? What "killer app?" would make you turn to Linux? Personally, if Titanfall [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127956-Titanfall-Hands-On-Preview-Like-CoD-on-Steroids] was a Linux-exclusive on PC, I would install the OS in a heartbeat (though Microsoft's exclusivity deal means that will never happen).

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/12/4826190/linux-only-needs-one-killer-game-to-explode-says-battlefield-director]

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Half-Life 3
Any CoD game
Battlefield: Bad Company 3
Borderlands 3
FIFA 15
whatever the newest Madden title is
EverQuest Next (Landmark)
Titanfall
Watch_Dogs
Assassin's Creed IV
The Crew
ArmA 4
Trainz 2015
Star Citizen

Those are the games I feel would make people switch to Linux, if they were to be made Linux exclusive on PC (even IF only for two to three months).
The best method for this would be to directly deliver them with a Kubuntu install disc.

Now... if Battlefield went Linux exclusive for a month or even just a week, Linux would be much more popular as a platform, resulting in publishers actually thinking more and more about releasing a Linux version, and in the end - completely stopping to bother with a Windows version (for you see, Windows is not too game developer friendly - and it has a slew of other issues like blue screens).

ddrkreature

Jun 24, 2013
I'm personally not a fan of Linux. It feels too unstable for me. Maybe it's gotten better since I tried it last but I'm happy sticking with Windows 7

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Matthi205 said:
Windows is not too game developer friendly
Actually, that's not true.
Windows is actually MORE developer friendly than Linux.

Windows has DirectX, which is basically just a bunch of DLLs and program code, already pre-written, that developers can 'hook' into, saving them the hassle of writing it themselves.

On Linux, all of that code has to be written manually.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
If the Pokémon MMO came out on Linux with Oculus Rift support...I'd probably complain about not having an Oculus Rift or a Linux machine. For me to realistically switch to Linux I'd need a user-friendly experience that is compatible with all the software I currently use, has most of the games I already own and play and isn't a headache to switch over to.

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
IceForce said:
Matthi205 said:

Windows has DirectX, which is basically just a bunch of DLLs and program code, already pre-written, that developers can 'hook' into, saving them the hassle of writing it themselves.

Well, Linux has OpenGL (granted, the free drivers are really bad and some of the hardcore Linux guys refuse to use the proprietary ones for some reason, but this "killer-App"-business is not for those anyways), which theoretically does most of what DirectX does aswell and some stuff even faster than DirctX

Also, if AMD decides to, Linux could get access to the Mantle API

puffenstuff

Jan 31, 2008
IceForce said:
Matthi205 said:

Um... What?

Sorry to call you out on this one. Your description of DirectX is accurate, but libraries such as OpenGL do the exact same thing on both windows and Linux. The principle difference is that OpenGL is open source. In practical terms, the only difference is that when a developer finds a bug in the DirectX DLLs they are stuck working around it until Microsoft decides to issue a fix (if they ever do), whereas with OpenGL the dev can find and patch the problem.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
For me personally if I knew that most games were going to be at least ported to Linux AND I knew how to get that Vine(?) emulator to work I'd be ok with switching.

As it stands Linux has very little support compared to Windows, which is probably my biggest fear in switching. I don't think that a "killer app" would make me switch just like that.

I've heard it's pretty easy to use for basic functionality, but gaming can be a bit of a pain if you aren't just looking at indie games.

Just thinking about it actually, how come indie games very often have Linux support but big budget $50 million, 400 dev team games almost never do?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
ddrkreature said:
I'm personally not a fan of Linux. It feels too unstable for me. Maybe it's gotten better since I tried it last but I'm happy sticking with Windows 7
Windows 7 is a good OS, Linux is a good alternative though. It depends when you tried it out and which distribution, each one while using the core part of the OS have their own tweeks, it's possible you had one that was early development or something. May I ask when and what you used?
Btw in the last few years most Linux distros have reached Windows level of ease of use, it looks however you want it to look (including Windows) and runs smoothly.

CardinalPiggles said:
For me personally if I knew that most games were going to be at least ported to Linux AND I knew how to get that Vine(?) emulator to work I'd be ok with switching.

As it stands Linux has very little support compared to Windows, which is probably my biggest fear in switching. I don't think that a "killer app" would make me switch just like that.

I've heard it's pretty easy to use for basic functionality, but gaming can be a bit of a pain if you aren't just looking at indie games.

Just thinking about it actually, how come indie games very often have Linux support but big budget $50 million, 400 dev team games almost never do?
I believe you mean WINE. If games were officially ported then it would not be needed and support wouldn't be an issue, I hope they do start porting I would seriously consider switching especially with where Windows is heading.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
I dunno, it would take a lot more than a killer-app to make me switch from Windows.

I highly doubt I will ever use Linux, as much as Gabe Newell wishes.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Interesting sentiment.

Shame EA will never go for it, Linux by it's very nature prevents them from exerting the kind of control they are so desperate to maintain over all their license renters.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I can't wait for more games to be made for Linux, it means that I won't need to pay for a windows licence :D Also it means OSX ports will be easy to make :D

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I am so in with these guys right now. I could care less about linux per se. But I am in for an open platform, and I'm receptive to a "third option" for hardware, instead of just another rig vs console.

edit

couldn't.
nerp

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Matthi205 said:
Half-Life 3
Any CoD game
Battlefield: Bad Company 3
Borderlands 3
FIFA 15
whatever the newest Madden title is
EverQuest Next (Landmark)
Titanfall
Watch_Dogs
Assassin's Creed IV
The Crew
ArmA 4
Trainz 2015
Star Citizen
Those are all AAA games. Games of that scale have no business doing anything other than multi-platform (from a business perspective), let alone on Linux. The comparison to Halo in the OP is barely relevant, as the early 2000's were an age before game budgets were inflated like a goddamn balloon animal. This is why we need a AA market that isn't crowdfunded.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Matthi205 said:
Those are the games I feel would make people switch to Linux, if they were to be made Linux exclusive on PC (even IF only for two to three months).
The best method for this would be to directly deliver them with a Kubuntu install disc.

Now... if Battlefield went Linux exclusive for a month or even just a week, Linux would be much more popular as a platform, resulting in publishers actually thinking more and more about releasing a Linux version, and in the end - completely stopping to bother with a Windows version (for you see, Windows is not too game developer friendly - and it has a slew of other issues like blue screens).
Wow. Someone hates Windows with a passion.

I would like to point out though that BSODs are not technical problems themselves but diagnostic screens for when problems do occur. Do you just love bashing windows or something?

Also, fuck exclusives.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Everyone should use Linux, there is so much free stuff!
thiosk said:
I am so in with these guys right now. I could care less about linux per se. But I am in for an open platform, and I'm receptive to a "third option" for hardware, instead of just another rig vs console.
Wait, did you mean "could not care less", or do you actually care?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Everytime someone says Linux is ready I find it incapable of some basic functionality without resorting to the console. The GUI is king when it comes to beating Mac and MS, and Linux may never get there because of the nature of its developers.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
IceForce said:
Matthi205 said:

Ever heard of OpenGL? Now, remember how Microsoft praised direct X for new shader technology and things like tesselation in its releases?
The first pixel shader implementation in DirectX was actually just a copy of already existing OpenGL implementations on graphics cards, something that was designed LONG before Microsoft jumped on the band wagon. Tesselation? OpenGL had it for 3 years before DX11 rolled out. DirectX isn't that developer friendly either - it doesn't allow you to manually control how some resources are used and tries to do many things automatically, with almost no control for the developer. While that might be nice for some 2D game this is HORRIBLE when it comes to actual proper 3D applications that can benefit from manual optimization. OpenGL also has A LOT more features. Why? actually mostly because DirectX is a set of libraries for games, including sound, controls, and whatnot, while OpenGL is for actual professional work like 3D films.
so, DirectX might be better for indie developers that want to make a small quick game, but if you want to get into proper 3D, or of course all the "photorealistic games" stuff, OpenGL is the better choice by far.

Ninja_Bob117

May 7, 2013
Valve just needs to put half-life 3 on SteamOS Linux would win but I can see the point he is making here