BattleForge Goes Free

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BattleForge Goes Free

BattleForge, a real-time strategy title with a collectible card game element, is now available as one of Electronic Arts' [http://www.ea.com] "Play4Free" games.

BattleForge supports single-player and cooperative multiplayer gaming for 2-12 players, ranked and unranked PvP dueling and a wide range of social and community-related options. The free version of the game includes full access to the game's functionality and content as well as all updates that have been released since it came out in March, including new PvP maps and the Renegade Campaign [http://renegade.battleforge.com/cms/front_content.php?changelang=2].

A central feature of BattleForge is its unique trading card component, built around a "fully enabled, online collectible community," which lets players build customized armies using CCG-style cards that represent spells, buildings and units on the battlefield. The Play4Free release will include 32 of the game's 200 cards and players will be able to participate in the BattleForge Auction House and trade directly with other players once they reach PvE level 4 and PvP level 10.

EA announced Play4Free, which offers free gameplay supported by advertising and microtransactions, in early 2008. Other games planned for the Play4Free series include the online FPS Need For Speed: World Online [http://www.battlefield-heroes.com/], a multiplayer racing game.

The retail version of BattleForge, which is still available for $29.99, comes with cards from all four of the game's factions and 3000 BattleForge Points that can be used to buy new in-game cards; owners of the Play4Free release who want to expand their decks can do so by purchasing points online. Learn more and grab your own copy while you're at it at www.battleforge.com [http://www.battleforge.com]. Hey, it's free!

MrPop

May 14, 2009
So does anyone think a lot of future games may be like this? A bit like music on Spotify I suppose. I still don't think I'd bother with it though even if it is free >.>

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Thank God, thank God I didn't buy this.

I might as well check it out now.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Woot! Thanks EA, thanks for kicking us fans that bought the game in the nuts.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Ranooth said:
Seriously, EA does something nice, and you don't like it, this happens every time

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
dogstile said:
Ranooth said:
Seriously, EA does something nice, and you don't like it, this happens every time
Im just saying its a serious blow to the people that actually stood by EA in beta and bought the game on release, i mean yeah we got BF points but its still annoying.

Kudos to EA for doing it, i (and many others will have) wished they hold made it free from the start (like there doing with Battlefield Heroes)

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
I might have bought the game if the cards were free, or if there was a way to get cards for free. When you have micro-transactions, thats good. When they are required to play the game, thats bad.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Not sure I really agree with that. They dropped the price a lot quicker than usual maybe, but gamers who wait will almost always get stuff cheaper than those who stood in line on release day. I've purchased numerous games for much cheaper than their release price (Mass Effect for 17 bucks and Dead Space for 25, to name two recent examples) just by waiting. It's a bit of a kick in the balls for it to happen so quickly, I suppose, but on the other hand if it spurs growth and helps maintain the viability of the BattleForge community then it's a good move for everyone.

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
I loved playing the open beta for this, where we all had 3000 BattleForge points. I squandered most of it on Destroyers and a Giant for my Frost Army, but I don't regret it at this point, except how my game kept on crashing when I went through certain levels, so I never know what happened during the fight between the Giant King and that giant flaming dude.

Calobi

Dec 29, 2007
DamienHell said:
I might have bought the game if the cards were free, or if there was a way to get cards for free. When you have micro-transactions, thats good. When they are required to play the game, thats bad.
I was under the impression you could trade cards. That might be very hard since the free version apparently only lets you get 32 or something before you need to buy them, but if you play your cards right (no pun intended) it seems like you could get some new ones free that way.

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
Calobi said:
DamienHell said:
I was under the impression you could trade cards. That might be very hard since the free version apparently only lets you get 32 or something before you need to buy them, but if you play your cards right (no pun intended) it seems like you could get some new ones free that way.
You COULD, theoretically yes but is anyone going to go through all that trouble?