Battlefront on PC: no server browser/dedicated servers

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of PC gamers suddenly cried out in terror...and were suddenly silenced.

https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/638780598300078080?s=09

Yep, time to trot this out again...

I wasn't planning on buying the game anyway, but THIS...this is giving even the most ardent defenders pause.

How about it, Escapist? Anyone still excited for this game anymore?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
MatParker116 said:
Grow the fuck up, a lot of games don't have server browsers and there are reasons behind not giving players control of the servers.
A little harsh, but I do agree. I'm not sure I see why its such a big deal. It may not be ideal to some gamers, but its certainly not like they're saying every laser shot is a $.99 microtransaction.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
MatParker116 said:
Grow the fuck up, a lot of games don't have server browsers and there are reasons behind not giving players control of the servers.
Yeah, and those games tend to be dead after less then 2 years. The thing about PC gaming is you cane have BOTH, so the PC gamers out there who prefer matchmaking, all 5 of them, can have their way while those of us who don't like lag and want to play with people we know on servers whose admins we get to know instead of a bunch of randoms and maybe our friends if we can manage to invite them.

OT: I'd already planned on avoiding this game, but had I been foolish enough to still want to play it despite everything we already know about it, this would be the straw which broke the camel's back, because no matter how bad or poorly thought out the game is a PC game without server browsing is not going to last as long as its development time.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
MatParker116 said:
snipped for rudeness
Look, I'm no "PC Master Race" guy. I play on a toaster of a rig (1.8 GB RAM, baby!), my go-to multiplayer title is TF2, and I generally don't give a hoot about the framerate debate. Having said that, even I can see the benefits of a server browser for PC games:

-Set specific search criteria to find exactly the kind of match you're looking for (ping, # of players, current map, etc.)

-Easier to form lasting communities, thus helping extend the game's lifespan.

-More supportive of user-created mods and plugins. Need I remind that many popular games (Team Fortress, Counter-Strike, DOTA, Killing Floor, etc.) started out as mods?

Now then, I've presented my reasons. Would you care to present yours? I'm legitimately curious how relying solely on matchmaking for PC games could be seen as a good thing.

Wiggum Esquilax

Apr 22, 2015
Zontar said:
MatParker116 said:
Yeah, and those games tend to be dead after less then 2 years. The thing about PC gaming is you cane have BOTH, so the PC gamers out there who prefer matchmaking, all 5 of them, can have their way while those of us who don't like lag and want to play with people we know on servers whose admins we get to know instead of a bunch of randoms and maybe our friends if we can manage to invite them.

OT: I'd already planned on avoiding this game, but had I been foolish enough to still want to play it despite everything we already know about it, this would be the straw which broke the camel's back, because no matter how bad or poorly thought out the game is a PC game without server browsing is not going to last as long as its development time.
Exactly this, you can have it both ways. The only reason to forbid player controlled servers is if you want to shut that game down the instant it stops being profitable. For EA this wither means when players stop paying for DLC, or when the sequel comes out.

Don't doubt for a second there are those who consider Battlefield 1942 a partial failure, as people are still able to play it. Consider Battlefront to be a lease, not a purchase.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I am going to take this as a sign that they won't have custom rental servers, meaning there will be no admin. that will kick you just because your are going 24-5 KD. As long as I can join my friends, that's all that will matter.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
MatParker116 said:
Such as? And I dont know why you're so mad at people making purchasing decisions based on what features the game will come with, EA doesnt need you to fight for them

Sep 13, 2009
Yeah, I don't think this is much of an issue. That being said, good to see that they're keeping up with their tradition of having all of their announcements saying what isn't present in the game

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Yep. Still not interested.

But they're somehow managing to make me even less inclined to buy the damned thing well after I've already committed to crossing it off my 'buy' list.

This sort of system sucks. It's always a laggy mess. The lack of community and consistency means less time I'd spend playing or engaging with others (aside from shooting them in their stupid rebel faces) while the technical issues make for less polished gameplay.

...If it's a p2p system, that is. But matchmaking? This ain't Halo 2. This ain't 2004. This ain't an exclusive console release.

Offer alternatives.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
I don't usually play on pc (Yeah, I'm a console scrub. What of it? :p) but I can defiantly see how a lack of a server browser is just dumb. I was already avoiding this 1/3 of a game EA and Dice are trying to call a full game, I guess I just have another reason to now.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Like I needed any more reasons to not want this game, look I can still play Jedi Academy Multiplayer if I want to because there are still active servers, I don't want to rely on the 5 years tops lifespan of EA's servers, however it's not like I was buying that Star Wars Battlefront game that has less than half of Battlefront's 2 content and features, but this is just stupid, BTW despite GameSpy closing down I can also still play Battlefront 2 if I want to because gameranger has SERVERS, though admittedly I'm too lazy to figure out how to set it up, but I could if I wanted to, which is what matters.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
MatParker116 said:
Indeed, it's so that the community can't make mods that outclass the publisher's overpriced DLC and it's also so that the publisher can control everything about the customer's purchase after the point of sale.

Now excuse me while I go back to playing an FPS that has survived for more than 8 years simply on the strength of it's community which is centered around player owned servers and custom content.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
vallorn said:
MatParker116 said:
Indeed, it's so that the community can't make mods that outclass the publisher's overpriced DLC and it's also so that the publisher can control everything about the customer's purchase after the point of sale.

Now excuse me while I go back to playing an FPS that has survived for more than 8 years simply on the strength of it's community which is centered around player owned servers and custom content.
When have Origin games ever been moddable? Also it stops immature dicks kicking good players or teams being switched on a whim because the host is losing.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
MatParker116 said:
vallorn said:
MatParker116 said:

When have Origin games ever been moddable? Also it stops immature dicks kicking good players or teams being switched on a whim because the host is losing.
And that's why you have a server browser to avoid servers that do that. And because Origin games aren't moddable, they tend to only last 1-2 years at best rather than 8+

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Ooooooh yess, how good it is to be on EA boycott position now! Hundreds of thousands of people cringe, moan, demand justice - and still go and pay money those guys who take piss on them all time after time after time, and then they start ferociously defend whatever they bought because understanding of their foolishness embarrasses them and makes to reject reality. Oh sweet sweet times!

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Odd, I would have guessed the re-skinned BF4 would at least have the BF4 feature set, I guess their cheap ass awful website was just too taxing to copy-paste for another game.

Then I can only imagine this is what BF5 will end up with.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
The Bucket said:
MatParker116 said:
Such as? And I dont know why you're so mad at people making purchasing decisions based on what features the game will come with, EA doesnt need you to fight for them
I'm just sick of the internet causing a riot over every little thing, as long as it plays well and I'm having fun I don't care.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Rastrelly said:
Ooooooh yess, how good it is to be on EA boycott position now! Hundreds of thousands of people cringe, moan, demand justice - and still go and pay money those guys who take piss on them all time after time after time, and then they start ferociously defend whatever they bought because understanding of their foolishness embarrasses them and makes to reject reality. Oh sweet sweet times!
Yep EA knows that no matter how many people ***** and moan about it, this game is going to make stupid money.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Okay all I'm seeing is that it doesn't have a server browser. Where does it say that its not using dedicated servers?

I don't really care one way or the other about server browsers as long as the matchmaking works, but dedicated servers are a VERY big deal.