Battlefront on PC: no server browser/dedicated servers

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
MatParker116 said:
Grow the fuck up, a lot of games don't have server browsers and there are reasons behind not giving players control of the servers.
You could have gotten your point across without being hostile and insulting. People aren't going to want to debate with you if you are hostile and insulting.

What reasons are those? You can't just say there are reasons and then not say what the reasons are. Answer me this. Would Team Fortress 2 be as popular as it is without a server browser and with no dedicated servers?

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Bat Vader said:
MatParker116 said:
Grow the fuck up, a lot of games don't have server browsers and there are reasons behind not giving players control of the servers.
You could have gotten your point across without being hostile and insulting. People aren't going to want to debate with you if you are hostile and insulting.

What reasons are those? You can't just say there are reasons and then not say what the reasons are. Answer me this. Would Team Fortress 2 be as popular as it is without a server browser and with no dedicated servers?
Reasons I've stated above plus it's a business decision. EA likely handed Disney a huge check for the Star Wars licence, look for Battlefront 2 in a few years plus a shit ton of other titles.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Valkrex said:
Okay all I'm seeing is that it doesn't have a server browser. Where does it say that its not using dedicated servers?
There are actually many questions that are unanswered at this point. We don't know how much the player will be able to filter the matchmaker (no. of players, game modes, map, mutators etc.) and we don't know if the game will allow for direct connecting to specific servers.

To me, it seems like a bad move for the organized community ("clans") to not be able to operate their own servers for practicing or competitive play. On the other hand, if the game allows direct connection to IP then it is no big deal as the clans will just use that function. As for me personally, it ain't a big deal. If I get Battlefront it will be because I want a few quick games of Star Wars goodness in, so not having to browse a metric ton of servers trying to figure out which are good is actually kind of a plus.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Well this just killed all my interest in the game. I want to be able to have more control over whom I play with, that's why after all these years I still play TF2 and Counterstrike. In those games I have a list of favourited servers that are frequented with by players I know I gel with.

None of that with Battlefront it seems, so no Battlefront for me. Ain't too bothered, means I have to spend less money.
Smooth Operator said:
Odd, I would have guessed the re-skinned BF4 would at least have the BF4 feature set, I guess their cheap ass awful website was just too taxing to copy-paste for another game.

Then I can only imagine this is what BF5 will end up with.
It's not a Battlefield reskin, not even remotely, we have to give DICE credit for that. It's not even designed as an FPS!

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
MatParker116 said:
Bat Vader said:
MatParker116 said:

Reasons I've stated above plus it's a business decision. EA likely handed Disney a huge check for the Star Wars licence, look for Battlefront 2 in a few years plus a shit ton of other titles.
An immature host isn't a good enough reason. For every immature host that kicks people I can bet there are three or four hosts that don't pull shit like that. Out of all the dedicated servers I have played on over the years I have only ever been kicked once for dominating the server host.

I don't consider a business decision to be a good enough reason either. It's their game and they are allowed to do it but at the same time gamers can call them out for bullshit like that. If EA/Dice do publish and make a Battlefront 2 it won't be with my money. No space battles, no single player, no server browser or dedicated servers equals me not buying a copy.

Sure my sixty bucks means nothing to them but at least I can take pride in knowing I didn't help contribute to shitty practices.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
If this means that there won't be some shitty in browser Battlelog type then then I'm all for this.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
MatParker116 said:
The Bucket said:
MatParker116 said:
Such as? And I dont know why you're so mad at people making purchasing decisions based on what features the game will come with, EA doesnt need you to fight for them
I'm just sick of the internet causing a riot over every little thing, as long as it plays well and I'm having fun I don't care.
Are you completely lacking of any kind of self-consciousness? You make two statements in one sentence and contradict them in the very same sentence. That is next level mental gymnastics.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
MatParker116 said:
Those games have the problem that it's absolutely sure that they are going to die. As soon as the publisher/developer lost interest and closes the server the game won't be playable, unless they release some kind of patch.

Yes, there those that would open a server just to abuse the power they have as admins, but then you can just leave the server and choose a better one.

The true reason for the lack of dedicated servers is that it gives EA extra control of the game. There won't be user created maps on the servers, they can make you pay for things that other fans of the game would otherwise create and share for free.
Modding, new gametypes that some players may come up with, won't be included without their permission.

It's not about giving the players the best experience or something, it's just about controlling the players and adding possibilities to gain extra money after the game is released.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Neonsilver said:
MatParker116 said:
Those games have the problem that it's absolutely sure that they are going to die. As soon as the publisher/developer lost interest and closes the server the game won't be playable, unless they release some kind of patch.

Yes, there those that would open a server just to abuse the power they have as admins, but then you can just leave the server and choose a better one.

The true reason for the lack of dedicated servers is that it gives EA extra control of the game. There won't be user created maps on the servers, they can make you pay for things that other fans of the game would otherwise create and share for free.
Modding, new gametypes that some players may come up with, won't be included without their permission.

It's not about giving the players the best experience or something, it's just about controlling the players and adding possibilities to gain extra money after the game is released.
Be playing on X1 so not really my problem but it's Origin, none of the things you mentioned appear in Origin games.

Denamic said:
MatParker116 said:
The Bucket said:
MatParker116 said:
Such as? And I dont know why you're so mad at people making purchasing decisions based on what features the game will come with, EA doesnt need you to fight for them
I'm just sick of the internet causing a riot over every little thing, as long as it plays well and I'm having fun I don't care.
Are you completely lacking of any kind of self-consciousness? You make two statements in one sentence and contradict them in the very same sentence. That is next level mental gymnastics.
I've learned to not have a hissy fit over stuff that while sucks doesn't affect core gameplay as long as I am having fun, I don't care how I got there.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
People are gonna buy it anyway. Gamers are kinda naive that way. Easily manipulated into thinking that what is advertised to them is exactly what they want. If only they had an ounce of self respect they would realize that the only thing they had to do to get dedicated servers is to refuse to buy the game unless they implement dedicated servers. It's literally the only thing. Because the only reason EA isn't offering dedicated servers is because they know they can get away with it. That's why we have all the shit in the gaming industry today. Devs and publishers know that gamers are too dumb to say no to the hype. Hype itself is nothing more than brainwashing.

No freakin' server browser in a PC game? Who the fuck are the people that are gonna buy into this piece of shit?

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
People are gonna buy it anyway. Gamers are kinda naive that way. Easily manipulated into thinking that what is advertised to them is exactly what they want. If only they had an ounce of self respect they would realize that the only thing they had to do to get dedicated servers is to refuse to buy the game unless they implement dedicated servers. It's literally the only thing. Because the only reason EA isn't offering dedicated servers is because they know they can get away with it. That's why we have all the shit in the gaming industry today. Devs and publishers know that gamers are too dumb to say no to the hype. Hype itself is nothing more than brainwashing.

No freakin' server browser in a PC game? Who the fuck are the people that are gonna buy into this piece of shit?
Modern Warfare 2 people bitched about lack of dedicated servers and Activision laughed as those people played the game and Activision did cocaine off of gold plated strippers asses.

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
No single player (Integral to Battlefront as far as i'm concerned) No sever browsing (which surely means no dedicated servers unless they're direct IP join which seems unlikely)

Seems to me like they're turning what was a series about having fun and not really caring too much about who was winning or losing into some competitive BF or CoD style shooter.

As much as I fucking love the battlefront series and Star Wars I don't think there's anything which can make me buy this now.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
MatParker116 said:
The Bucket said:
MatParker116 said:
Fun... FUN?!?! How fucking dare you insist games are for "fun". Next thing you know you will say games are a luxury and not a necessity. Starving children in Africa who need clean water and food to live NEED games to eat and live you insensitive fool!!

I say good day to you sir. GOOD DAY INDEED!!!

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I stopped being excited the moment they announced that there would be no prequel content. Not that I would have bought it on PC, but this is sad news indeed when EA could use a multiplayer title with longevity that isn't called Battlefield.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
MatParker116 said:
Nope.

The last PC shooter I played without a server browser of any kind of Was Modern Warfare 2, which was utterly terrible on PC for a number of reasons. Even Left 4 Dead/2 had a console command to get to it initially before Valve added it to the main menu by default.

When it comes to shooters on PC this feature is not negotiable, good servers are the basis of entire player communities. By all means have a matchmaking or party system in as well, but without the ability to drop in and out of the same location and play against the same people with a consistent (sometimes custom) rule set this game will die.

This is EA not planning on anyone playing this game on PC for more than 6 months or so. Based on the hype so far, they might actually be right. It's very odd that they should do this though, they make quite a lot of money from server rentals.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
Is this a surprise to anybody? EA wants you to buy battlefront 4 next year so they can shut down the servers for battlefront 3 and force you to buy battlefront 4 with its entirely new set of DLC half of which are maps carried across from the previous game.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
I was so excited when I heard they were making a new Battlefront. But every god damn thing I've heard since then has made me so bloody furious. No space battles, no classes, map pick-up activated vehicles, no story mode, no galactic conquest, and now, no fucking servers either.

I think it's time I made a fake Battlefront box, shit in it, and sent it to DICE HQ. Maybe with a copy of Battlefront 2 and a post-it note reading "This is what we wanted, that is what you are delivering".

Jun 11, 2008
MatParker116 said:
Adam Jensen said:

Modern Warfare 2 people bitched about lack of dedicated servers and Activision laughed as those people played the game and Activision did cocaine off of gold plated strippers asses.
I think I must have had a massive aneurysm or hit my head way too hard but I'm fairly certain there were dedicated servers and a browser in Black Ops. I dunno though I could just be an idiot.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Glademaster said:
MatParker116 said:
Adam Jensen said:

I think I must have had a massive aneurysm or hit my head way too hard but I'm fairly certain there were dedicated servers and a browser in Black Ops. I dunno though I could just be an idiot.
My point was they still made stupid money despite the hypocritical outcry from PC users: