BattleTech Kicks Butt, Reaches Kickstarter Goal in 53 Minutes

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Hmm, on the one hand Shadowrun Returns was a bit shit, but on the other Harbrained seem to have learned a lot from it and the expansions/sequels were a lot better. With Weisman actively involved as well, this certainly has potential.

Karadalis said:
This game will only feature content from the Classic battletech era wich was pretty limited but much better balanced then the later time period.. wich made for good reading.. but terrible unbalanced gameplay.
This is part of the reason I prefer the single-player computer games over actual Battletech. Balance is mainly an issue for multiplayer games, where you want all players to be able to compete on equal footings. But in single player games, you generally want things to be unbalanced most of the time. With multiplayer, IS vs. Clan is tricky because Clan gear is objectively better in pretty much every way; you can play around with things like cost and availability, but it's never going to be easy to balance it all. But in Mechwarrior Mercenaries, having the player with crappy IS kit suddenly being completely outclassed by the invading Clans lets the game greatly increase the challenge while keeping things entirely in keeping with both the overall lore and the narrative of the game, unlike all too many other games where enemies keep getting tougher as you level up for no apparent reason. Essentially, introducing Clan and other improved gear allows for progression in a game that doesn't have any levelling.

In any case, since this is a PC game it's likely to get plenty of mods, so as long as the base gameplay is solid we'll probably be able to choose whichever equipment set we like.

ravenlordhun

Jun 27, 2012
I really hope the game will be moddable. It would be a nice touch to be able to use regular vehicles instead of just mechs - they really under-appreciated, I think. I mean, I had lots of fun wiping mech-only armies with just vehicles in MegaMek. I understand that this is a niche need though, so I'm resigned to grunt and toil for it myself... if modding is possible, that is.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Karadalis said:
- there is only one size of PPC... and even later there are only 2 sizes.. normal PPC and snub nose PPC
There's also Light PPCs, which sacrifice damage for pod space/weight.
(Snub-Nose PPCs sacrifice long range for better short range performance.)

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Light_PPC

On the flip side, yes "Heavy PPC" is a thing, but not quite as one would imagine.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Heavy_PPC

In practice it's just a really shitty Clan ER PPC (unsurprising, being an IS knockoff).

- no targeting lasers either in 3025 and targeting lasers are used for artiller and Arrow IV since LRMs are actually NOT guided missles in Battletech..
Uh...
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/LRM

Relevant Text said:
Adapted towards the profusion of electronic jamming on the battlefield and the effectiveness of current armor designs, these self-guided missiles are unique for using a special armor-piercing explosive warhead.
This makes sense for given the presence of NARC Beacons and the Artemis IV FCS support equipment.
There is an alternative LRM type called "Semi-Guided LRM" that's designed to use TAG or C3.

The rest is accurate.