Bayonetta 2

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Definitely getting this as soon as it comes out. I have a Wii U already so I'm all set.

I really enjoyed the first game. It has some of the tightest controls I ever felt in an action game and I loved it's over the top action and boss battles.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
100 times yes, platinum games games(derp) are the only ones worthy of a day one purchase for me.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
JohnnyDelRay said:
I'm so torn over this, I'm one of the "absolutely adored the first one but can't decide if a WiiU is worth getting just for it." Exclusive really means exclusive, right? Any hope for it coming out on anything else at all, ever? I played the first one through twice, unlocked nearly everything, and that's a damn rarity for me these days given the time allocated to playing. Maaaaybe, if I could get a super deal on a WiiU, or maybe later down the track if I can get one second hand.
It is possible we might get a port some day, but chances are slim. Sales are not great in Japan, so chances are they will not port it - low chance of it being worth it. It is almost certain this game isn't going to be ported, at least not for years to come, so you are looking at Wii U or not at all.

Bayonetta 2 does come with a copy of Bayonetta 1 with some updated graphics (I think) and additional goodies like Nintendo themed costumes, so it is a really good deal. Plus, the Wii U has some really good games. I certainly think it is worth getting the console, I already did and have never regretted it, but that all depends on if you like the games available. Do any other games on the Wii U interest you?

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
I can see myself enjoying the game massively, but staying out of any discussion for 10+ years due to the whole 'Nintendo funded the game so it's an exclusive' situation.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Maximum Bert said:

Not sure about them being with them for the long haul arent they making Korra for PS4 and Xbox one and Scalebound for Xbox One? have they got anymore games for the WiiU coming out? (hope so).
MetalDooley said:
Blitsie said:
it looks like Platinum is stuck for the long haul with Ninty anyway.
Actually their next 2 games are Scalebound which is an Xbox One exclusive and Legend of Korra which is a multiplatform title that appears to be launching on every platform except Wii U
Oh that's quite cool! Never knew haha, thanks guys. Also see Kamiya is behind Scalebound so color me super interested, although it being Xbox One exclusive is a bit miff, I'll gladly buy a Wii U because (totally agree with you Maximum Bert!) its also got great titles like Xenoblade and that new Zelda coming which makes me want it more but the One? Ehhhhhhh.....

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
It's not on any preorder but it is definitely on my list of games to get with the Wii U. In fact the my current lineup is SSB for Wii U and Bayonetta. So that should seal the deal for me concerning this year. Oh! how can I forget Sonic Boom.

I have really high hopes for that one. (I miss those kinds of games.)

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Shirokurou said:
If you have a WiiU and you like action games...get it.

For the rest of the people lacking a WiiU...just lament it being on the WiiU. I don't think it's worth getting the console just for it, considering that it's most likely the last in the series.

I actually was one of the people hoping for it to be a timed exclusive and going multiplatform later. Cause the "Bayonetta 2 wouldn't be made without Nintendo" and Nintendo publishing it...were not kiss of death to this idea.
The Publishing contract might have had a clause on time. And the industry has a lot of examples of JRPGs being 360 exclusives and then coming out on PS3 to sell better and go like "360 version was like a beta test, so this is the superior version".

I mean, it's still possible that SEGA was grabbed by the balls and signed FULL exclusivity FOREVER, but again, Nintendo did not buy out the IP and apparently Inaba of Platinum once tweeted that it was a timed exclusive or something.

But then the sales. Oh god, the sales. Bayonetta 2 on WiiU in Japan sold WORSE than Bayonetta 1 on 360 (IN JAPAN). And Japan is where most of the WiiUs are. Having Smash 3DS come out close to it, kinda stole its thunder

So even if SEGA can in fact make Bayonetta 2 multiplatform after the exclusivity runs out...with these sales they probably won't. Which is sad, cause apparently Bayo2 fixed a lot of my gripes with Bayo1.
One has to ask though, what other games were coming out in Japan at the time Bayonetta did? This seems like one of those franchises that do a lot better overseas than in their home country. For instance, historically, the Metroid series always sold a lot more copies in the US than it ever did in Japan.

I...honestly think the kind of games Platinum makes just doesn't sync up with what Japan thinks is cool at the moment.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
DrOswald said:
JohnnyDelRay said:
I'm so torn over this, I'm one of the "absolutely adored the first one but can't decide if a WiiU is worth getting just for it." Exclusive really means exclusive, right? Any hope for it coming out on anything else at all, ever? I played the first one through twice, unlocked nearly everything, and that's a damn rarity for me these days given the time allocated to playing. Maaaaybe, if I could get a super deal on a WiiU, or maybe later down the track if I can get one second hand.
It is possible we might get a port some day, but chances are slim. Sales are not great in Japan, so chances are they will not port it - low chance of it being worth it. It is almost certain this game isn't going to be ported, at least not for years to come, so you are looking at Wii U or not at all.

Bayonetta 2 does come with a copy of Bayonetta 1 with some updated graphics (I think) and additional goodies like Nintendo themed costumes, so it is a really good deal. Plus, the Wii U has some really good games. I certainly think it is worth getting the console, I already did and have never regretted it, but that all depends on if you like the games available. Do any other games on the Wii U interest you?
Yeah that's what I was afraid of, waiting for a port that never comes. If I got one, it would most likely be for the party/friends around oriented games, for the brief time I had a Wii that's what it was for anyways (golf, bowling, Wii sports Mario party etc). The only games I can imagine getting with this one are Mario Kart 8 aaaaaaand that's it for now. It does look a pretty good deal getting the 1+2 Bundle, but I never really got into the whole Nintendo thing, and I'm too old/not enough time to get started on the whole Zelda/Metroid/Donkey Kong/Smash Bros. stuff.

If there were a few more games like on the Wii that I never got to play (Madworld, No More Heroes 2) or other decent exclusives (Resident Evil?) I might consider it though, if Bayonetta 2 hasn't been ported by then. Can anyone also tell me what the battery life on the touch screen remote is like? Seems like it would be horrible, but I have no idea what battery they've got in it. Also, the extra remotes (gamepad, Wiimote) are still so damn expensive!

Gamerpalooza

Sep 26, 2014
Totally looking forward to it.

There's enough coverage if you keep up from the developers and nintendo's side and not be dependent on the "game journalism". The stream they had where they played the game was pretty damn sweet. That Star Fox and Peach outfit though.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
JohnnyDelRay said:
DrOswald said:
JohnnyDelRay said:

Yeah that's what I was afraid of, waiting for a port that never comes. If I got one, it would most likely be for the party/friends around oriented games, for the brief time I had a Wii that's what it was for anyways (golf, bowling, Wii sports Mario party etc). The only games I can imagine getting with this one are Mario Kart 8 aaaaaaand that's it for now. It does look a pretty good deal getting the 1+2 Bundle, but I never really got into the whole Nintendo thing, and I'm too old/not enough time to get started on the whole Zelda/Metroid/Donkey Kong/Smash Bros. stuff.

If there were a few more games like on the Wii that I never got to play (Madworld, No More Heroes 2) or other decent exclusives (Resident Evil?) I might consider it though, if Bayonetta 2 hasn't been ported by then. Can anyone also tell me what the battery life on the touch screen remote is like? Seems like it would be horrible, but I have no idea what battery they've got in it. Also, the extra remotes (gamepad, Wiimote) are still so damn expensive!
In my experience battery life for the game pad is around 2-4 hours (depending on the brightness you select) but if you put it back on the charger (it has a charging cradle it comes with so you don't even have to plug anything in) while you take breaks I tend to get upwards to 5 hours on medium brightness (plenty bright for a well lit room). It charges quick. Also, the cord they have for it is long and small so it isn't much of a problem to have it plugged in while you game.

You might also be interested in Wonderful 101, another game made by Platinum for the Wii U. It is another high energy brawler like Bayonetta. I really like it.

Extra controllers can be expensive, but for almost all multiplayer games all you are going to need is 3 remotes and maybe a nunchuk for each of them, you can get those fairly cheap. Nintendo sells the combo for $25 refurbished. I would just use the gamepad for everything else, it is a really good controller.

Honestly, the value of the Wii U depends on your other gaming platforms. The Wii U is the different option. PS4 and Xbox offer similar experiences, experiences you can also get on the PC for the most part, while the Wii U does its own thing. For the gaming enthusiast I would not suggest the Wii U be the only gaming device (unless Nintendo is really your thing), but it should certainly be the second. Get a PS4, Xbox One or PC. You only need one of those. Then get a Wii U.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
I love Bayonetta... Or the thought of it.

I played the demo of the first and it made me realize I'm too bad at spectacle fighter/character action games. I just wouldn't enjoy it too the fullest.

KikReask

Mar 25, 2014
I'm still playing the original on 360 and I've got plenty of time to finish it before I pick this one up. After seeing the Bayonetta 2 direct they did a few weeks ago I'm already hyping this up to be my game of the year so of course I'll pick it up day one. It's nice to see that nearly everyone else here is going to buy it, the game won't be a huge system seller but it looks like it'll be a sleeper hit anyway.

At the very least it'll sell more than the Wii U version of Watch_Dogs.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Gamerpalooza said:

There's enough coverage if you keep up from the developers and nintendo's side and not be dependent on the "game journalism". The stream they had where they played the game was pretty damn sweet. That Star Fox and Peach outfit though.
Not sure you can count going looking for coverage as having enough coverage by that account something like J stars victory and UNIEL have lots of coverage if you look in the right places but I doubt your average joe would have even heard of the existence of these games especially over here. Suppose what I meant was I have seen this game advertised nowhere nor have I seen any magazine coverage of it being mentioned in the "game journalism" (dont think they threw the money at them to get that).

Glad your looking forward to it though I just get a bit peeved when NIntendo actually have a decent game outside their usual IP and dont market the hell out of it or hardly at all same happened with Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandoras tower and so far the new Fatal Frame in japan atm (hope this gets localised). But whatever im not calling the shots if I was then I would be trying to improve Nintendos image and show they bring out good games that are outside the regular IP umbrella. Im also just guessing that Bayonetta 2 is a good game I hope to god it is but I could be wrong however I would put good money on it being excellent (hope I havent jinxed it).

Im sure it will get word of mouth after release at the very least and Platinum do have a reasonable following maybe that will be enough to improve its fortunes hopefully being one of those rare games that continues to sell steadily over time (doubt it but still fingers crossed).

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Dragonbums said:
Shirokurou said:

For the rest of the people lacking a WiiU...just lament it being on the WiiU. I don't think it's worth getting the console just for it, considering that it's most likely the last in the series.

I actually was one of the people hoping for it to be a timed exclusive and going multiplatform later. Cause the "Bayonetta 2 wouldn't be made without Nintendo" and Nintendo publishing it...were not kiss of death to this idea.
The Publishing contract might have had a clause on time. And the industry has a lot of examples of JRPGs being 360 exclusives and then coming out on PS3 to sell better and go like "360 version was like a beta test, so this is the superior version".

I mean, it's still possible that SEGA was grabbed by the balls and signed FULL exclusivity FOREVER, but again, Nintendo did not buy out the IP and apparently Inaba of Platinum once tweeted that it was a timed exclusive or something.

But then the sales. Oh god, the sales. Bayonetta 2 on WiiU in Japan sold WORSE than Bayonetta 1 on 360 (IN JAPAN). And Japan is where most of the WiiUs are. Having Smash 3DS come out close to it, kinda stole its thunder

So even if SEGA can in fact make Bayonetta 2 multiplatform after the exclusivity runs out...with these sales they probably won't. Which is sad, cause apparently Bayo2 fixed a lot of my gripes with Bayo1.
One has to ask though, what other games were coming out in Japan at the time Bayonetta did? This seems like one of those franchises that do a lot better overseas than in their home country. For instance, historically, the Metroid series always sold a lot more copies in the US than it ever did in Japan.

I...honestly think the kind of games Platinum makes just doesn't sync up with what Japan thinks is cool at the moment.
Bayonetta 2 didn't have any competition on its launch but had to deal with the 3DS monsters of Super Smash Bros 3DS, Monster Hunter 4, and 4-month chart topper Yokai Watch 2. Another thing to note is that despite sales being poor, it still scored the third best selling title for that week. I think its just that consoles are selling poorly period than anything else. Don't expect large numbers in the US though.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
JohnnyDelRay said:
It's less than slim. Kamiya has just released another statement saying that Nintendo is the reason the game exists and I quote "while you're asking Nintendo for Bayonetta 2 why don't you ask for Mario or Zelda on the PS4 as well." Sorry, you'll have to get a Wii U for this one. On the plus side, Wonderful 101, Hyrule Warriors, Super Mario 3D World, and many other games will be there to keep you company.

Gamerpalooza

Sep 26, 2014
Maximum Bert said:
Gamerpalooza said:

Not sure you can count going looking for coverage as having enough coverage by that account something like J stars victory and UNIEL have lots of coverage if you look in the right places but I doubt your average joe would have even heard of the existence of these games especially over here. Suppose what I meant was I have seen this game advertised nowhere nor have I seen any magazine coverage of it being mentioned in the "game journalism" (dont think they threw the money at them to get that).

Glad your looking forward to it though I just get a bit peeved when NIntendo actually have a decent game outside their usual IP and dont market the hell out of it or hardly at all same happened with Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandoras tower and so far the new Fatal Frame in japan atm (hope this gets localised). But whatever im not calling the shots if I was then I would be trying to improve Nintendos image and show they bring out good games that are outside the regular IP umbrella. Im also just guessing that Bayonetta 2 is a good game I hope to god it is but I could be wrong however I would put good money on it being excellent (hope I havent jinxed it).

Im sure it will get word of mouth after release at the very least and Platinum do have a reasonable following maybe that will be enough to improve its fortunes hopefully being one of those rare games that continues to sell steadily over time (doubt it but still fingers crossed).
That portion I totally understand, the average consumer that don't look for the news are denying themselves the coverage and exposure to a richer library.

Personally I don't get peeved over it since marketing has turned out to be a financial expense that not everyone can afford and aside from being, imho worthless, Bayonetta being part of that niche genre, especially with the drama revolving the whole switching to Nintendo, isn't gonna do it any more justice to its sales.

From my perspective Platinum just being based is the best they can do. At least switching to Nintendo didn't affect their take on fun and quality experience. Brand loyalty was such a childish thing to judge it on, I know because I did that first but my opinion changed when they revealed what they would do with Nintendo through those cameos.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
xaszatm said:
Dragonbums said:
Shirokurou said:

Bayonetta 2 didn't have any competition on its launch but had to deal with the 3DS monsters of Super Smash Bros 3DS, Monster Hunter 4, and 4-month chart topper Yokai Watch 2. Another thing to note is that despite sales being poor, it still scored the third best selling title for that week. I think its just that consoles are selling poorly period than anything else. Don't expect large numbers in the US though.
Ah okay. So when you put it that way, compared to console sales in tangent with game sales, Bayonetta 2 did a damn good job.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
xaszatm said:
JohnnyDelRay said:
It's less than slim. Kamiya has just released another statement saying that Nintendo is the reason the game exists and I quote "while you're asking Nintendo for Bayonetta 2 why don't you ask for Mario or Zelda on the PS4 as well." Sorry, you'll have to get a Wii U for this one. On the plus side, Wonderful 101, Hyrule Warriors, Super Mario 3D World, and many other games will be there to keep you company.
Fair enough there chief. I guess I'll wait for the WiiU to come down in price and grab a bundle of those games. But in response to the quote (Kamiya's, not yours) well, we never had Zelda or Mario on other platforms now did we? If suddenly Zelda and Mario were Sony or Msoft exclusives I'm sure some people would be asking for it back on Wii, why the hell not? I can appreciate though that Bayonetta 2 is only in existence because of Nintendo, and for that I won't say another word besides "thanks!"

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
I have it preordered and I don't even own a Wii-U. I probably can't even afford to get one this year. I liked the first one so much I'm getting the sequel anyway.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Definitely grabbin it. Not sure it'll be exactly day 1 since my cash is a little low at the moment. Seriously, Hyrule Warriors, Smash Bros 3DS launchin right after another hurt. Then there's Smash Bros for WiiU comin and all the games I still need for my WiiU, ugh. Why do I need money for things! Stupid money!

But yeah, definitely grabbin it as soon as I have 60 bucks.