Bayonetta is Joining Super Smash Bros

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
-Dragmire- said:
So, is she still going to do the thing where here hair suit thing comes off to a large scale attack?

Yes and no. Bayonetta 2's version of that kept some clothes on and they're going with that version.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
xaszatm said:
-Dragmire- said:
So, is she still going to do the thing where here hair suit thing comes off to a large scale attack?

Yes and no. Bayonetta 2's version of that kept some clothes on and they're going with that version.
Nice to hear they can stay true to the character.

I still need to try Bayonetta 1 and 2, they look very fun.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
IceForce said:
Huh, I guess you two must've missed Leigh Alexander's comments about Bayonetta, from October last year:
https://twitter.com/leighalexander/status/521796696934981632
Intriguing. But then, it is to be expected that there be differing viewpoints within a group as large and diverse as the GameJournoPros. Hell, I even hold some of them in high esteem, such as George Weidman of Super Bunnyhop. I was merely commenting on what I perceived to be the most commonly held opinion amongst them at the time:

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
marioandsonic said:
Corrin, though...really? Another FE character? Really?
To be fair, the onslaught of Fire Emblem isn't anywhere near as bad as the onslaught of Pokeymanns.
Most of what they did with Charizard would have been perfectly applicable to Ridley, and we desperately need Ridley. We don't need Charizard, Lucario, Mewtwo, and Greninja.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
Can someone help me? I watched the direct inside my car, and now I desperately need like 50 gallons of Clorox to clean the stains out of... well, everything, really. Cloud was pushing my limits enough; Bayonetta's a Climax.

JenSeven said:
Welp, guess now Yahtzee has to review it. He has been commenting on Bayonetta never going to be in Smash, and now that she is, I think he might have to face it and review it.
Actually, he already reviewed it while stating why he doesn't want to give an actual review on it, and as someone who despised his Brawl review, I actually like the refreshing honesty and straightforwardness of his newest standpoint.

-He doesn't like Fighting games at all (though I feel like he'd enjoy Punch Out)
-He doesn't like Multiplayer games very much, particularly since most people make him uncomfortable.
-Gratuitous Fanservice, particularly Nintendo's, doesn't automatically equal a sale with him (though he isn't as autobiased as his haters like to think he is).

Adding Bayonetta wouldn't change his perspective at all from what I am aware. Adding a Single Player Story Mode would do it (which is why he bothered with Mortal Kombat X, even noting how he hated having to play it and how Smash 4 avoided a direct paddling because of it), but that ship has long since sailed.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
I wanted Wonder Red...

So this only make me happy that our lord and savior Platinum Games got their mascot in. What an incredible inclusion that left me awe struck and screaming.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I voted for Bayonetta in the Smash ballot, but it felt like I threw my vote away. I thought Shovel Knight or Banjo would've made more likely picks. That being said, I love being wrong. Cloud surprised me, but I'm OVERJOYED for Bayonetta.

Christmas came early! :D

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
That's it, the "unexpected character in Smash" joke is officially dead. Sakurai murdered it with a Mega Man and Pac Man, eviscerated the body with Ryu and Cloud, and reduced it to ash with Bayonetta.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
I recently became a huge fan of Bayonetta and Platinum Games in general, so i'm super Hyped for Bayonetta in Smash.

Her fighting style seems REALLY fun to play too. Move over Mario, i have a new main.

gillnavisingh

Stick a Cupca- AUGH!
Jan 13, 2010
Yahtzee has had his fingers crossed for Bayonetta to be in Smash Bros for the last year (despite not liking Smash, of course)
I wonder if he'll address this in any way.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
No.

Stop it.

I already bought your shitty console because it was the only way to play Bayo 2, you're not going to get me to actually like the damn thing.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
So, with this announcement, it's confirmed that they won't be adding anyone else to Smash 4... and Marvel VS. Capcom is in Limbo now that they'd have to deal with Disney... Looks like there aren't any fighting game announcements I give a crap about until they finally announce Dan Hibiki as DLC for Street Fighter 5.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
LordLundar said:
My personal choice was Shantae, but I'm happy with the choice.
Neverhoodian said:
I was hoping for Shantae, but I'm okay with this. I guess the floodgates really are open with the likes of Bayonetta and Cloud on the roster.

EDIT: Completely missed the mention of no more characters. I has a sad now.

dirtysteve said:
The Usual Suspects on Twitter are now claiming her as a feminist icon, and alleging that "misogynists" are angry at her inclusion.
Oh, isn't that just adorable. That turnaround was so fast it gave me whiplash. Guess they saw which way the wind was blowing for that particular debate.
I have also voted for Shantae. Still, Bayonetta is a great addition.

I am not a fan of her (I don't like teases) but she is a great character. Her games are a lot of fun, and the ballot results confirmed her reputation. Great job, Nintendo!

JenSeven said:
Welp, guess now Yahtzee has to review it. He has been commenting on Bayonetta never going to be in Smash, and now that she is, I think he might have to face it and review it.

Also:

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
crimson5pheonix said:
I... I... I....

Really? And it's going to keep it's E rating?
Judging by the trailer, she's been censored somewhat.
However, it looks like they really nailed the character. Everything is spot-on, and she looks like she'll be as much fun to play in Smash as she is in her own games.

It's worth noting that I actually voted for Bayonetta, as her games are my favorites in their genre (and Nintendo themselves published the second one).

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
IceForce said:
Neverhoodian said:
dirtysteve said:
The Usual Suspects on Twitter are now claiming her as a feminist icon, and alleging that "misogynists" are angry at her inclusion.
Oh, isn't that just adorable. That turnaround was so fast it gave me whiplash. Guess they saw which way the wind was blowing for that particular debate.
Huh, I guess you two must've missed Leigh Alexander's comments about Bayonetta, from October last year:
Pfft, everyone knows all feminists everywhere have to conform to the same set of opinions, handed down on high from the Dark Lord Voldekeesian herself.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
Hades said:
This news just made my day. Bayonetta gets more recognition she deserves and Nintendo seemed to have actually valued EUROPE's opinion! That's new! I can also totally see her interacting with Pit.

The reaction of fans annoy me a great deal. I get the anger about Corrin but what's so bad about Bayonetta? People are even voicing doubts she did well on the ballet. I'm finding it petty and more than a little ungrateful.
That's just the way of fandoms to complain about new things. for example zelda wind waker was lamented for it's artstyle being "childish". then 3 years later the much darker twilight princess was panned as "depressing". when skyward sword tried to find a point in the middle of relaistic/dark and cartoonish/cheerful people still complained aboout it appearantly for no better reason than the fact that it was different from occarina of time, a game with characters with edges on their faces you ccould cut cheese with

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
McMarbles said:
IceForce said:
Neverhoodian said:
dirtysteve said:
Pfft, everyone knows all feminists everywhere have to conform to the same set of opinions, handed down on high from the Dark Lord Voldekeesian herself.
Yep. In the same way gamers are a bunch of men-children mysogknees who would never vote for a women who is considered a feminist icon...

Wait a minute...

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Grahav said:
McMarbles said:
IceForce said:
Neverhoodian said:
dirtysteve said:
Yep. In the same way gamers are a bunch of men-children mysogknees who would never vote for a women who is considered a feminist icon...

Wait a minute...
So we're agreed. Generalizations are stupid.

So why is it okay to generalize feminists here, but god forbid someone DARES suggest anything about gamers?