BBC Aims High With New Games Business

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Any Top Gear game that lets you choose which character you can play: The Stig, Clarkson, Mr. Pearly Teeth or Captain Slow equals $$$$. Smart Move BBC. I was to see some insane cross continent race or some sorta derby.

MrJinks

Apr 13, 2010
RewardMe said:
Will these games be free for british tv license fee tax payers? After all, the BBC will be using our tax money to make these games.
I think an answer could be found in your username, the BBC are facing cuts as are other organisations in the UK and need to make some money from what IPs they have. I'm interested in what could happen as long as it's not a game based on FlashPlayer and helps to make content available for players to enjoy.

Also it's not strictly a tax, we pay a licence fee which has been frozen in price for a few years from now on. You don't have to pay for a licence if you can prove you don't/can't watch TV. I think they've given up on licensing radio because of the difficulty of checking on car radios etc.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
RewardMe said:
Will these games be free for british tv license fee tax payers? After all, the BBC will be using our tax money to make these games.
The BBC hasn't got the cash or the skills to develop a triple a game. It would have to licence it's IP to a third party and this wouldn't cost licence fee payers anything.

Episode42

Nov 28, 2010
No no no no no no no no no!!!!
You just know that they'll get the worst people in to make these games and i really hate seeing decent licenses ruined by poor knock-off games. The Top Gear track is in Gran Turismo 5, why would we need a Top Gear game, it'd never be as good.
Doctor Who is a great idea, but again you just know it won't be any good :(

RewardMe

Dec 2, 2009
MrJinks said:
RewardMe said:
I think an answer could be found in your username, the BBC are facing cuts as are other organisations in the UK and need to make some money from what IPs they have. I'm interested in what could happen as long as it's not a game based on FlashPlayer and helps to make content available for players to enjoy.

Also it's not strictly a tax, we pay a licence fee which has been frozen in price for a few years from now on. You don't have to pay for a licence if you can prove you don't/can't watch TV. I think they've given up on licensing radio because of the difficulty of checking on car radios etc.
It might aswell be called a tax. Can you honestly live without a TV in this day and age? I know i can't.
-|- said:
RewardMe said:
The BBC hasn't got the cash or the skills to develop a triple a game. It would have to licence it's IP to a third party and this wouldn't cost licence fee payers anything.
That makes alot more sense. Let's hope that's what they do.