BBC Confirms Matt Smith For Another Doctor Who Season

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Good news, as far as I'm concerned. Matt Smith makes a fantastic Doctor, and I hope he'll stick around for a long time to come. 3 years is about the average for actors playing the Doctor, but with any luck he'll hang around for a little longer.
Varya said:
jamiedf said:
i thought that was the entire point of casting him in the first place, what with the last two being relatively big name they were less likely to stay, so get in a less known guy who wouldn't mine being type cast
I doubt that, it's true that the old series had one doctor for hundreds of episodes, but it's because they had a lot more episodes per season. I don't count on Matt staying for more than 3 or 4 seasons. The 50 year anniversary is coming up, does any one else smell a new doctor for the new half.century?
To be honest, I think a crossover between several Doctors is more likely; they did that a number of times in the classic series. A "Three Doctors" episode where Matt Smith, David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston team up to take down some big, huge enemy would be pretty spectacular.

hamasins

Jul 12, 2010
eventually we will get young river song as a companion... will she know if she meets old river song that she is talking to herself?

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Well, there went the suspense. Oh well. So much for that, I guess. Alternatively, yay, more Smith! Hooray for evolving character. Which probably means more River. And possibly more Amy and Rory, which had better happen. At least Rory. Because Rory is awesome.

The Sane

Apr 2, 2010
Id be interested in a mid season regeneration at some point. Rather than fitting it neatly in between the major story arcs have it slap bang in the middle of one and show the consequences and difficulties that are produced by it.

Unfortunately I doubt its practical as keeping such a change under wraps would be impossible, and keeping it as a surprise would be important for it to keep the same impact.

EmeraldGreen

Professional Lurker
Mar 19, 2009
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
That's good. I like Smith as the Doctor. There's been moments when he even surpassed Tennant. Anyway, I would really like Amy and Rory to come back, but, let's face it, they probably won't. Even Rose only lasted two seasons, and Amy's the only companion to make it that far since.

PREEMPTIVE NOTE: I've never seen the classic series.
Even in the classic series, companions that stuck around for more than two seasons are rare, though not unheard of.