BBC Gives High Praise For No Time To Die

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
While I'm sure the final film will be entertaining enough, I cannot trust the BBC culture to avoid wallowing within an undercurrent of institutionalised patriotic bias, the same way they proudly export terf ideology and upper class royal fawning as clawing overcompensation for a looming nationwide crisis fueled precisely by such lurking archaic nationalism of which all but the upper crust of protected parasites will ever feel the consequences of.

In other words, surface-level escapism is not so easy for some of us on the ground floor.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Knowing now that Bond dies and Lynch's character takes the 007 code number, is mine and others' idea of setting Bond in the 1950s still such a foolish one? Because even if/when they decide to bring Bond back now, he will already be dead in the minds of many people. You can tell me that setting it in the 1950s would be admitting that Bond isn't relevant anymore, but what they've done here seems worse.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Wonder if they're going to continue the series with the new 007. So many places to go from there.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
spoilers here, my review is in the general thread
Bond gets his 007 number reinstated, and thus Nomi is not 007 at the end of the movie. These movies are super expensive, and even though Lynch is good at her role, they would have to squeeze the series through an impossibly tight hole to get 007 movies made with her as the lead. I don't see an option other than a reboot.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Honestly I think they should have had Lashana Lynch's character die if they wanted to try and do any kind of subversion. I mean dude makes noble sacrifice to save the world is kind of a fairly old trope by now but Black woman sacrifices herself so James Bond can fade into obscurity in retirement? That kind of has more impact in my view because it's not following the standard hero tropes that would be expected. I mean it would probably cause some outcry about it but I dunno I think it would have hit harder that Bond's trail of bodies also includes his own allies now.

Also does anyone else feel like they ripped some of the plot from Metal Gear Solid? A programmed nanomachine virus targeting specific DNA? Really?

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I guess James Bond did have time to die another day tomorrow after only living twice.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Honestly I think they should have had Lashana Lynch's character die if they wanted to try and do any kind of subversion. I mean dude makes noble sacrifice to save the world is kind of a fairly old trope by now but Black woman sacrifices herself so James Bond can fade into obscurity in retirement? That kind of has more impact in my view because it's not following the standard hero tropes that would be expected. I mean it would probably cause some outcry about it but I dunno I think it would have hit harder that Bond's trail of bodies also includes his own allies now.

Also does anyone else feel like they ripped some of the plot from Metal Gear Solid? A programmed nanomachine virus targeting specific DNA? Really?
Metal Gear has ripped off 007 before so what goes around comes around. Also, black characters sacrificing themselves for white characters is hardly anew and innovative idea.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I wonder if they have made so many of these strange decisions for the last several years, culminating with this, because they are bored of producing these movies for thirty (Barbara) to forty (Michael) years. The Broccoli siblings have made almost nothing else. It must get tiring. So why not fulfill your own desires by changing it into something people barely recognize as Bond instead of, you know, giving the reins to someone else, who has the passion for Ian Fleming and Albert Broccoli/Harry Saltzman's version? The more I think about it, the more I really believe that's a part of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker