BBC Hijacks PCs to Prove a Point

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
*waits patiently for quantum-state encryption*

EDIT: Sweet Jebus, got the name wrong. Actually called "Quantum Key Distribution."

Samah

Jul 7, 2008
If I found out I was a victim of this, I would (attempt to) prosecute the BBC for every dollar/pound I could.
The law is the law.
NOBODY is above the law.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
The BBC is doing it right. I generally like grey methods like this.

I love how the corporate PR agents have stepped in to have a quick banter - Prevx and Sophos are both highly respected, I use tools from both companies, but this is the first time I've seen such a public skirmish-of-sorts between them. Quite entertaining.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Nimbus said:
So there are at least 22,000 people who open emails from people they don't know.

Interesting, if not surprising.
Certain virus programs known as worms don't need you to open the email for it to attack your computer. Instead they search through emails for more addresses to spread to.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Samah said:
If I found out I was a victim of this, I would (attempt to) prosecute the BBC for every dollar/pound I could.
The law is the law.
NOBODY is above the law.
This would not, of course, stop it from having been your fault that your PC was owned by your poor security decisions.

Though it might give you the money you need to source an adequate security product for the future.

Gitsnik

May 13, 2008
Labyrinth said:
Certain virus programs known as worms don't need you to open the email for it to attack your computer. Instead they search through emails for more addresses to spread to.
If the worm is spread via email, you need to open it (albeit if there was, say, an issue with the subject line you would just need to download it). A complete worm is autonomous in so far as it doesn't require user interaction, but like hacker, the term worm has come to cover far more than it properly should.

Something like Melissa, or the I Love You virus, should have been considered a trojan and/or a network-aware virus, a worm was something like SQL Slammer, which was set and forget and required no interaction by a user.

Edit: And is the BBC going to be punished for this cracking action?

Gitsnik

May 13, 2008
If I walked up to a network, cracked the key and breached the LAN because they were sitting their wireless in the DMZ with a stupid alcatel box, but didn't touch anything sensitive and took my logs straight to them would I be reported the the police, or would I not. Hard to say. Now imagine that I do this for 50 companies or, say, 22,000 people, and publish my findings in the local news.

The BBC is huge, so my bet is they won't be punished, but what's the difference between them and me? I've got just as many verifiable morals as a bunch of people who select which words and questions they will use for an interview, or what images they will show for a report, but it's the little guy who is going to get prosecuted.

My thoughts on that side of things anyway.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Is this any different from the Gov't showing two dead bodies mangled in a alchol induced wreck? They did nothing malicious and nothing that will effect these peoples computers.

They may have 'bent' the rules but they did it with good will in mind and are doing it for 'uneducated' people's benefit.

This is also the UK and not the US. So an American commenting on this is about as usefull as me trying to explain why my neighbour needs shotguns and an AR15....

The BBC is one of the greatest news networks in the world with, in my mind, the greatest level of reporting. If they have done this they will have known it wont of broken any laws.

As for the company that they spammed to death. They had agreed to do it and were aware it was coming. So hats off to them for trying to further the war on Internet Spam Merchants.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Wow. Well, if some people would only use their email for personal/buisness things, this would be entirely avoidable.

Fronken

May 10, 2008
Lets just hope that the 22.000 people who were dumb enough to open random mail sent to them learns never to open mails unless its from a valid source.

Specter_

Dec 24, 2008
ChocoFace said:
It's creepy how i'm not surprised by this.
Work some time in tech-support, 1 or 2 months are easily enough, and you won't be surprised anymore. Firewalls and scanners can provide only so much security, if the user clicks on anything that pops up, security goes byebye.

I've seen programmers click on those "Your computer is infected"-popups and one would think that at least them know what they are doing when it comes to software...

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
Skrapt said:
GRoXERs said:
[insert snooty mac/linux bragging here]

That's pretty awesome, but isn't it technically illegal?
It certainly is in the US, but I don't know about the UK.
This country is home to Phorm - we're used to public/private companies being able to install spyware on our computers or at our ISP's without our knowledge.
dude...that sucks

ElArabDeMagnifico said:
I'm going to rob banks to prove how insecure they are....
dude...great idea!

Somethingfake said:
GrahamCluley said:
MR. Cluley, they sought legal advise on doing this, it's on their twitter.

And Mr. L33tsauce_Marty, if you read carefully enough (which you didn't) it says "As a secondary test, the bot-net attempted a Distributed Denial of Service(DDos) against a friendly target **that was expecting it**, the security company Prevx."

So as long as they know and agree for testing, it is legal.
dude...twitter is now a legitimate form of legal council? or are you saying they announced it on their twitter? the BBC has a twitter? wtf is wrong with the world? i hate twitter? was that even a question? oh well?

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
Specter_ said:
ChocoFace said:
Work some time in tech-support, 1 or 2 months are easily enough, and you won't be surprised anymore. Firewalls and scanners can provide only so much security, if the user clicks on anything that pops up, security goes byebye.

I've seen programmers click on those "Your computer is infected"-popups and one would think that at least them know what they are doing when it comes to software...
so my status will go from not surprised to not surprised. hmph.

Specter_

Dec 24, 2008
ChocoFace said:
Specter_ said:
ChocoFace said:

so my status will go from not surprised to not surprised. hmph.
No. It will go from "It's creepy" to "Yeah, I expected that" or even "Wow, only 22k?"...