BCBS report on millennial health

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It?s not a rosy picture. [https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/evj98k/millennials-will-get-sick-and-die-faster-than-the-previous-generation]

Begs the question of how excited would-be parents can be expected to be in bringing kids into a world that?ll apparently fall apart before their eyes.

Aren?t things generally supposed to get ?better? as time goes on? Perhaps we?ve reached an unfortunate turns of events.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Now if only ignorant selfish boomers could stop voting for capitalist fucks who deny healthcare to the people who need it the most

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Yeah, sounds about right. Right in the thick of some shit myself right now, and I don't doubt this stuff for a second. Being in Canada helps the healthcare part, but the crap value of our dollar sure doesn't. And with how tough things are going in the world and what my potential future looks like just by being part of the society that was created around me... Yeah, doesn't help my depressive episodes in the least

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Connected to depression and stress? Yeah that sounds right.

I subbed for two years and the number of high schoolers who joke about suicide is concerning.

Aug 31, 2012
Wooo! YEAH! Gen-X FTW baby!I knew that aimlessley pumping myself full of drugs for decades was the way forward. I should never have stopped.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Zykon TheLich said:
Wooo! YEAH! Gen-X FTW baby!I knew that aimlessley pumping myself full of drugs for decades was the way forward. I should never have stopped.
Well, it worked for Shaun Ryder! Actually...

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Like most people brought up in a death cult, it's not surprising that being taught about the "imminent end" is going to have a deleterious effect. There's also a belief in that cult that justice and rights are on the decline, and have to be fought for to regain. Among other things..

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Like most people brought up in a death cult, it's not surprising that being taught about the "imminent end" is going to have a deleterious effect.
Well excuse me for worrying about the state of the world in light of increasing temperatures, rising sea levels, plastic pollution, permafrost melting, wildfires, ocean acidification, defaunation, extinction, drought, deforestation, overpopulation, overconsumption, and that so far, the world hasn't managed to turn these trends around...

There's also a belief in that cult that justice and rights are on the decline,
By most indications they are, least globally. Just recently, our own prime minister suggested banning boycotts that might threaten the mining industry, while the Queensland government is passing through anti-protest legislation.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Hawki said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Like most people brought up in a death cult, it's not surprising that being taught about the "imminent end" is going to have a deleterious effect.
Well excuse me for worrying about the state of the world in light of increasing temperatures, rising sea levels, plastic pollution, permafrost melting, wildfires, ocean acidification, defaunation, extinction, drought, deforestation, overpopulation, overconsumption, and that so far, the world hasn't managed to turn these trends around...

There's also a belief in that cult that justice and rights are on the decline,
By most indications they are, least globally. Just recently, our own prime minister suggested banning boycotts that might threaten the mining industry, while the Queensland government is passing through anti-protest legislation.
Queensland has loads of anti-protest legislation dating back to the Bjelke-Peterson days. Unless they repealed and someone?s looking to bring back old Joh?s glory days.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Nothing like being constantly monitored by every decent sized governmental organization and corporation in existence to spike up those generalized anxiety levels. That's gotta leave a toll on the psyche.
Add to that the extreme levels of naked greed and hypocrisy being exhibited around the globe seemingly without recourse will get anybody reaching for the absurdist humor.
Remember when the Panama Papers exposed how the ultra wealthy global elite were conspiring to hide nation-state levels of wealth in tax shelters and the only things that happened was some governmental reforms in Iceland and a journalist who reported on the papers got killed by a car bomb in Malta?

[Bane Voice]Gen X merely adopted Nihilism, Millennials were born in it, molded by it

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I think the primary reason is millenials holding themselves to impossible standards exacerbated by social media where people all try to appear better than they really are. I think younger people in particular are more susceptible to be negatively affected by always having to compare. More young people than ever have attended college and they expect the best in opportunities of any denomination and can't really deal with adversity or the unavoidable disappointment of life due to overly protective parenting. Hence the high amount of psychological and emotional distress.

The environment is worrisome but doesn't really impact any millenial directly. Neither do the 2-percenters. Seems kind of like surrogate issues to project a shared sentiment on. Young people now have way more individual freedom and possibilities to live their life as they see fit than in the past but I guess it comes at the cost of delayed adolescence and loss of predictable structures(job safety, family life etc) that also broke the anchors that provided mental and physical welbeing espescially to the millennials who are left out in the job and dating market. Some people can also cope better with uncertainty than others.

Not to say there aren't legitimate concerns. Living expenses are ridiculously high for example(espesially housing costs) and modern society is a continuing pressure cooker with an uncertain future. But I don't see how this would somehow make the plight of millenials more 'special' compared to the generation before who grew up in the (seriously uncertain) Cold War era.

Oct 22, 2011
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Like most people brought up in a death cult, it's not surprising that being taught about the "imminent end" is going to have a deleterious effect. There's also a belief in that cult that justice and rights are on the decline, and have to be fought for to regain. Among other things..
"Break the thermometer, you won't have fever."

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
stroopwafel said:
I think the primary reason is millenials holding themselves to impossible standards exacerbated by social media where people all try to appear better than they really are. I think younger people in particular are more susceptible to be negatively affected by always having to compare. More young people than ever have attended college and they expect the best in opportunities of any denomination and can't really deal with adversity or the unavoidable disappointment of life due to overly protective parenting. Hence the high amount of psychological and emotional distress.

The environment is worrisome but doesn't really impact any millenial directly. Neither do the 2-percenters. Seems kind of like surrogate issues to project a shared sentiment on. Young people now have way more individual freedom and possibilities to live their life as they see fit than in the past but I guess it comes at the cost of delayed adolescence and loss of predictable structures(job safety, family life etc) that also broke the anchors that provided mental and physical wellbeing espescially to the millennials who are left out in the job and dating market. Some people can also cope better with uncertainty than others.

Not to say there aren't legitimate concerns. Living expenses are ridiculously high for example(espesially housing costs) and modern society is a continuing pressure cooker with an uncertain future. But I don't see how this would somehow make the plight of millenials more 'special' compared to the generation before who grew up in the (seriously uncertain) Cold War era.

I think Millenials can deal with hardship just as well as their boomer parents, the issue I feel is that Melenials got a lot of mixed messages from adults growing up creating uncertainty and anxiety later in life. Many have fallen victim to blind optimism created by the increased commercialization of university. Uni is still a very viable path to success but many are so expensive you can't attend without falling in to debt. There is a false ecpectation that expensive=better. This is only somewhat true based on the faculty and they dont really matter until you are in the upper levels of your major or seeking advanced degrees. You can get gen eds at community college and get the same experience for cheaper. However, due to the false expectation of cost=value, kids are encouraged to take massive loansat the beginning of their adult lives. They still lack life experience and as a result many can't make a fully informed decision. They then come of age during the great recession and are criticised for not being as good as their parents when they are entering adult life with less opertunity than their parents.

The big problem here is that millenials were guided down this path from a young age by boomers, so when it turns out a degree isn't a guarantee of stability/success millenials become angry at their elders and develop esteem issues. If you can't find a job with a degree somthing must be wrong with you not the system. It can be argued who is more responsible for this outcome but it is clear that Boomers play a significant role. The root of the frustration seems to be that instead of taking responsibility for certain problems faced by millenials many boomers seem to be content with blaming issues on younger generations, who had no way to affect the outcome beforehand.

Consider the derision of participation trophies by older "harder" generations. The made millenials soft and weak. Well who made those trophies? Boomers. It's a unique and unfair hypocracy directed at millenials that gets internalized as axiety/depression.

As to why gen xers haven't been involved in this squabble, my theory is that they can empathize with both gens. They are old enough to remember a world pre internet but young enough that they were able to adapt to it.

As a milenial a lot of the angst is justified but directing all of it at a large and diverse section of the population feels weird. While Boomers may have contributed to some of the woes of younger gens a lot of these problems are so big and systemic it isn't fair to lay all the blame on Boomers. It's unproductive, the energy needs to move towards actual changes instead of just griping.

I don't think it's a coincidence that these fires are being fanned in the year before elections. It's tinfoil haty but I do believe this generational conflict is being capitalized on to create wedges between voters.