Be the Bad Guy in Syndicate

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
He kills people without hesitation or remorse, and not for some noble cause or greater good, but for profit margins and quarterly bonuses. It's an ugly business, which is exactly what EA and Starbreeze are aiming for.
you heard it here first EA wants an ugly business and is willing to kill people without hesitation or remorse, and not for some noble cause or greater good, but for profit margins and quarterly bonuses.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
They are not getting paid. In fact, this means you don't even know the story of syndicate. Playing the original isn't being blinded by nostalgia, its knowing what happened. That is like saying watching Episodes in order to know the plot is being blinded by nostalgia.

You are not a paid mercenary, you are a person plucked off the street. Your brain is chipped, body modified, and used as a cyborg slave in a war to get money for the CEO (which used to be YOU in the originals). The entire world is chipped, and syndicates fight over entire continents to switch the chips to their programming. In your eyes, you see a shit hole like Bioshock's Rapture. In the eyes of a chipped citizen, you see some utopia right out of My Little pony.

The CEO gets everything, you get nothing.
actually no
the game is set in 2069 and The CHIP that allowed mind control as seen in the original was introduced after 2100 so the main character in this one most likely has some kind of prototype CHIP and having left you with free will is not going to pan out, so the Syndicates switch to the less effective but easier to control agents we know from the original.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Holy shit. That's some pretty cool news right there. Might actually get it now.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
EA says the "hero" in Syndicate is not a good guy and gamers shouldn't expect him to become one midway through the game.
Good. For a change i'll be glad to become some corporate who*e instead yet another incarnation of Chosen One. Go team Samsung ! Or Google ! Or Weyland-Yutani ! Or whatever ! :)

BTW : In first Syndicate's intro sequence, soon-to-be-agent is unwilingly, ahem, recruited. For me, my agents were always mindless drones with enough brain intact to just take care of things without any morality, regret or remorse. I'm glad nothing's changed. ;)

Mar 30, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
EA says the "hero" in Syndicate is not a good guy and gamers shouldn't expect him to become one midway through the game.
Damn straight! Syndicate is, as you said, all about soulless cyborgs viciously murdering rival agents, liquidating (via the use of miniguns) rival corporation assets and employees, using human shields and kidnapping innocent civilians off the street to brainwash them and replenish their own personality-wiped cyborg ranks.

I am forced to wonder who would expect a nicey-nice protagonist in a Syndicate game. Clearly only someone who has no damn clue what Syndicate is.

Mini-rant over, I am taking this as an encouraging sign. Re-boots don't always capture the spirit of the original, but this is excellent news.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
i'm sure EA is crapping their pants trying to figure out how to make this character a reality. They, more than any other company, would LOVE this kind of asset on their side.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Ummmm .. isn't that kinda the point of syndicate. I mean really if they'd gone for a touchy feely syndicate they'd be pulling every string out of the old story. They've already completely changed the kind of game it is ... they don't need to change more. It doesn't matter to me either way I won't be getting it.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Sorry, but unless I get to summon airstrikes on my foes or shoot them out of vehicle mounted old timey ship cannons, I'll stick with my SR3 pre-order.