Beauty and the Geek....

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
so just latley I've been seeing advertisments for Australias new season of "Beuty and the Geek"

much like alot of Australian attepts at American reality TV shows I imgane it lacks a certain..."somthing"...but I digress..thats not my point here

now I havnt watched much of the show (can you blame me?..honestly?) but I do wonder about the "geeks" who go on it...how much they are told to "geek it up" (if at all)..and no I'm not questioning their "validity" its clear that there are people who fit archetype 100%

I also wonder "why"...I supsoe from their perspective you'd get a free make-over out of it and the chance to hang with beautiful women...

anyway my discussion point here is [b/]what do you think of the show?[/b] whatever version...is it stupid nerd-bashing in the same leuge as big bang theory? reenforcing negative sterotypes? OR is it harmless fun? would you go on the show given the chance?

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
I think it's strange, and a little stupid. I wouldn't mind being on the show though, however...

cerealnmuffin

May 15, 2010
I remember hearing many years ago that they are told to geek it up or they purposely put them in awkward situations to get the 'geeky' reactions. Also mind you they probably go through tons of candidates and pick people who are super nerdy or ones who play that up just for a shot of being on tv and possibly hooking up with some girl.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I guess some people will take any opportunity to get their mugs on TV, even if their role is to be laughed at.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
My sister has talked with a girl who was on the show. Yes, the guys are forced to geek themselves up when actually they're quite normal beforehand. But it's also true of the girls, they're told to be a bit more "air-headed" because it's funnier, the girls are not that dumb and the guys aren't that socially inept.

In other words, reality TV is anything but realistic.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
To be fair if you so much as look at another person then that person is aware* they're being looked at and it will affect how they act. Put a person in front of an audience and they'll find themselves doing all sorts of shit they would never normally do.

*- Unless you're using concealment and a telescopic lens, naturally.

Araqiel

Jul 5, 2011
Seems to me like any other fake-reality show. People dress up and act silly to be on TV. While some might be a bit geeky or air-headed it's greatly exaggerated and framed to look more extreme.

I'm not if it's actually good or bad though. A bit like TBBT it seems to go with the 'nerd flow'. Except here they show the actual extreme versions. I'm inclined to say that it's portraying the so called nerd culture in a bad way.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Araqiel said:
I'm not if it's actually good or bad though. A bit like TBBT it seems to go with the 'nerd flow'.
I honestly believe big bang theory is a "laugh at nerds" show rather than "laugh with nerds"...in fact I kind of find it hard to beilve its targeted towards nerds at all

sure there may be the occasional science/reference joke thrown in but honestly do nerds find "OMG NERDS LIKE STAR WARS AND CAN'T GET GIRLS HURR HURR" thing funny?...does anyone find that shit funny?..it just seems..."wrong" to me that the show has merch and goes into comic con

http://butmyopinionisright.tumblr.com/post/31079561065/the-problem-with-the-big-bang-theory

an interesting read on the issue

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
you know... there's this thing about german television you should know:

The producers here have just kinda stopped giving a shit and are straight out going for the "Oh, dude, it's so bad, you gotta watch it!" crowd. So most of german television is straight out surreal in it's pure badness. It's offensive, vulgar and exploitative. It almost crosses into dadaist art. So it always kinda amuses me when people complain about their bad television shows. Believe me... you've seen nothing.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
PsychedelicDiamond said:

The producers here have just kinda stopped giving a shit and are straight out going for the "Oh, dude, it's so bad, you gotta watch it!" crowd. So most of german television is straight out surreal in it's pure badness. It's offensive, vulgar and exploitative. It almost crosses into dadaist art. So it always kinda amuses me when people complain about their bad television shows. Believe me... you've seen nothing.
Also, the german version of "Beauty and the Geek", back a few years ago, seems pretty harmless nowadays because...well...

...GERMAN REALITY TV IS EVIL!

...now, alright, i guess that doesn't count for every show and also it's entirely possible that reality tv in other countries is as evil or worse, but...well...there is proof that:

- Just about every show in Germany manipulates "Reality" to an extreme, going so far as having directors and scripts (i'm not referring to so called "Scripted Reality Shows" here, wich only pretend do be in a documentary style and have a clear disclaimer at the end, but actual "Reality TV")

- Most don't care about the Outcome of said manipulation wich ruined some people and familys in the public, even some actually uninvolved in the shows themselves.

- Most contracts for "participants" are written in a way that the studios have complete control while the individual has no rights, going so far as having to pay ludicrous fees if they are doing anything to disrupt or prevent the production or broadcast of a show, no matter how intrusive or manipulative the final product ends up to be.

- There are a lot of rumors that the payment recieved don't include any damage or costs that popped up during production. Some claim that they lost most of thier payments due to a high electricity bill the following month (professional equipment, cameras and lightning need a lot of power)

Its a disgusting business.

Araqiel

Jul 5, 2011
Vault101 said:
I honestly believe big bang theory is a "laugh at nerds" show rather than "laugh with nerds"...in fact I kind of find it hard to beilve its targeted towards nerds at all

sure there may be the occasional science/reference joke thrown in but honestly do nerds find "OMG NERDS LIKE STAR WARS AND CAN'T GET GIRLS HURR HURR" thing funny?...does anyone find that shit funny?..it just seems..."wrong" to me that the show has merch and goes into comic con

http://butmyopinionisright.tumblr.com/post/31079561065/the-problem-with-the-big-bang-theory

Read the article and agree with it wholeheartedly. I do watch the show from time to time and must admit it can be funny, but most of the humour is at the cost of nerds. Beauty and the Geek is exactly the same in that respect. It makes fun of nerds and silly blond girls and makes the viewer feel superior. It kinda makes me sad to think that most entertainment these days stems of making you feel better because you watch someone who is supposedly inferior :(.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
PsychedelicDiamond said:

you know I heard that since the TV in germany is so shit board games are or were extremely popular (it was the DVD comentry on "Father Ted"..an Irish sitsom from the 90'd..would you beive)

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
Watched the american version once and couldnt stand it because of its fakeness.

watching this show and similar others has a negative effect on my brain, because of all the facepalms I have to give myself everytime I hear a stupid answer come out of the mouth of some 30 year old air head looking for their 15 seconds of fame. Don't need to see the aussie version to know it'll follow the same pattern.

At least Australian television doesnt sink to the tripe of american tv shows like Jersey Shore and the ..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shire_(TV_series)...

...Never mind

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Vault101 said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:

you know I heard that since the TV in germany is so shit board games are or were extremely popular (it was the DVD comentry on "Father Ted"..an Irish sitsom from the 90'd..would you beive)
Not sure, wouldn't know anyone who's big into boardgames. I guess most people, like me, have just moved on to the internet. Here i can watch whatever i want, whenever i want.

The most genuinely popular programs on german tv are probably american shows. The Simpsons, How i met your mother, Two and a half man and stuff like that.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Vault101 said:
Araqiel said:
I'm not if it's actually good or bad though. A bit like TBBT it seems to go with the 'nerd flow'.

I find it funny that so many "nerds" have such a big problem with this show.
"Oh no! A mainstream TV show isn't portraying a particular group in a realistic way! Stop the presses!"
It's like if cops would throw a tantrum because "Lethal Weapon" doesn't portray their jobs in a realistic way.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
HardkorSB said:
I find it funny that so many "nerds" have such a big problem with this show.
"Oh no! A mainstream TV show isn't portraying a particular group in a realistic way! Stop the presses!"
realistic?.....or do you mean un-realistic?

because...I know there are people who fit the sterotype but REALLY? I'd hardly call it realistic

anyway my problem with the show is its just the same old tried bullshit..

"durr huur people like starwars thats funny....durr huur thease guys cant get with girls thsts funny...durr hurr sheldon said somthing funny about world of warcraft black ops aquaman..uhh...whatever FUNNY!!"

there may be a few "nerdy" jokes (that arent stupid) but that doesnt hide the fact that this show is for a mainstream audience...Penny is the character the audience is suposed to identify with, were suposed to laugh at the nerds..not with them

its just a mediocre to crappy show

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Vault101 said:
realistic?.....or do you mean un-realistic?

because...I know there are people who fit the sterotype but REALLY? I'd hardly call it realistic
Please, read my post, then answer.

anyway my problem with the show is its just the same old tried bullshit..

"durr huur people like starwars thats funny....durr huur thease guys cant get with girls thsts funny...durr hurr sheldon said somthing funny about world of warcraft black ops aquaman..uhh...whatever FUNNY!!"

there may be a few "nerdy" jokes (that arent stupid) but that doesnt hide the fact that this show is for a mainstream audience...Penny is the character the audience is suposed to identify with, were suposed to laugh at the nerds..not with them

its just a mediocre to crappy show
The first 2 seasons were actually pretty funny. The 3rd wasn't so I stopped watching after that.
Yes, it has mainstream humor because it's a mainstream sitcom, popular all over the world.
Also, Leonard is the one we're supposed to identify with, not Penny. He's a smart geek but he isn't odd or exaggerated. The other guys are but they're comic reliefs, most of the jokes and one liners revolve around them so they're supposed to be.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
HardkorSB said:
Please, read my post, then answer.
ah..."is".."isn't"

[small/]derp[/small]

[quote/]
The first 2 seasons were actually pretty funny. The 3rd wasn't so I stopped watching after that.
Yes, it has mainstream humor because it's a mainstream sitcom, popular all over the world.
Also, Leonard is the one we're supposed to identify with, not Penny. He's a smart geek but he isn't odd or exaggerated. The other guys are but they're comic reliefs, most of the jokes and one liners revolve around them so they're supposed to be.[/quote]

ehh..I guess he he still shits me though "waaaahhh I can't get a girl"...and that's funny

I guess it bothers me a little more than most shows because of its subject matter and all that

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I never watch train wreaks like that anyway. Most commercial tv is shit.