Beauty or Brain?

liza01

Oct 10, 2014
Hi guys! what would you prefer beauty or brain?

if you want share your thoughts :)

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
I think such a dichotomy is a bit simplified. I don't see why one needs to be chosen over the other. As to which one is more important in the long run, I would say neither. The ability to connect with someone emotionally is probably the thing I put at the top of my priority list. So maybe that's brains, but probably in a different way than you're thinking.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'd take self-confidence and the capacity for hard work over either of those things any day.

I like to think I'm pretty smart, but so does every other idiot on the planet. I could be thick as a brick and have no way of knowing it.

I am not beautiful by any standard and would like to know what it's like. However, the grass is always greener. As tempting as it is to imagine that the pretty people are all happy, it probably isn't the case.

TheRiddler

Sep 21, 2013
I'm sexy enough already. Brains.

Wait, are we talking about brains/beauty for us, or for our significant other?

I mean, my answer remains the same, but still...

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
I think the idea that people are not often both is a terrible stereotype that has no basis in reality. You do not need to be ugly to be intelligent, nor dumb to be attractive.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Lil devils x said:
I think the idea that people are not often both is a terrible stereotype that has no basis in reality. You do not need to be ugly to be intelligent, nor dumb to be attractive.
Actually, did you know that people are inclined to believe that attractive people are more intelligent than unattractive ones?

I've read about experiments where subjects were shown photos of random people and asked to estimate their intelligence. They invariably rated the more attractive people as being smarter. And vice-versa. Fat people in particular were assumed to be dumber.

While the stereotypes of the brainless but pretty ("dumb blonde") and the ugly but smart (scrawny scientist) obviously exist, I don't think they carry much weight in how people actually act toward others.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
A bookworm Disney princess vs. a diabolical lab mouse out to conquer the world? I'll go with the former, please.

In all seriousness, I'd go with brains. Intellect and personality tend to accentuate physical attractiveness for me anyway. Besides, physical beauty tends to fade faster over time than a sharp mind (barring something terrible like an early onset of Alzheimer's, of course).

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I'm a zombie....
Does that answer your question?
[sub][sub]Both together are what I prefer[/sub][/sub]

Ramzal

Jun 24, 2011
I got both! She's both smart and pretty attractive. :D Though my wife can be a bit dense at times when it comes to her own personal organization.

giles

Feb 1, 2009

Healthy is attractive. Intelligent people stay healthy.
1+1=?

Seriously, so many fit&hot physics undergrads... that trope is just flat out wrong, my friends. According to personal experience, the obvious autists have all been in maths.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Jux said:
I think such a dichotomy is a bit simplified. I don't see why one needs to be chosen over the other. As to which one is more important in the long run, I would say neither. The ability to connect with someone emotionally is probably the thing I put at the top of my priority list. So maybe that's brains, but probably in a different way than you're thinking.
This answer is kind of a cop out.

...that I totally agree with. Just because someone is smart doesn't mean you'll have any connection with them, and intelligence won't enhance any connection that you do have. Likewise, they could be smoking hot, but you might hate their personality.

So I'm gonna say personality; I find that people become more attractive as I get to know them.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Intelligence and wisdom are things you can increase over time, both with support and motivation. Beauty, not so much. I mean there's make up and shit, and plastic surgery if you've got the cash for it, but they're both pretty artificial options. So I think I'd take beauty as the first preference.

Both is better though, obviously.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I would definitely prefer both but if I have to choose one then it would definitely be intelligence.

If someone is intelligent then I generally find conversations with them far more interesting. Meanwhile if my significant other were attractive but a complete dunce then I would just find myself becoming bored of the relationship very quickly.

Granted, there is such a thing as too much intelligence since I've had a friend who was incredibly smart but also had the habit of being a bit condescending about it.

iamjustin

Oct 10, 2014
Hi, i choose brain rather than beauty. science now can do so much of physical appearance but in order to do that we need to have a brain to think and produce money :)