Becoming a pc gamer

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
I managed to get a Dell laptop (!) with a Core i5 (a base clock rate of 2.4 Ghz) and an ATi 5650 for about £700. Chews through TF2 for breakfast, and does well in the Just Cause 2 and Mafia 2 demos on high (if you ignore the benchmarks). You could probably get similar performance out of a basebox for £500.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Any graphics card made in the past five years will eat those games for breakfast. Your laptop must STINK.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Firstly you'll save money (aside from some killer sales) by building yourself rather than buying pre built. There's also a lot of things you may or may not need. For example, sound cards are not a necessity at all as mobos these days come with high def 7.1 audio. Unless you're an audiophile and have some decent speakers or really good quality headphones, mobo sound is fine.

IMO go to Tom's Hardware forums, there's a ton of people posting builds all the time and a lot of very knowledgeable people so it's a great place to learn.

AMD CPUs are great for budget builds. Intel CPUs are faster but mostly unessary for gaming. If you can afford an i5 750 build tho, they're really good. Otherwise an AMD Phenom X4 955 or 965 is a great way to go.

Also, I recommend not getting a sound card for now. You probably won't care for on. I got an AuzenTech Bravura 7.1 (~$100) and I love it with my 7.2 speaker set up, but for 2.1 or headphones it's not all that necessary as mobos come with high def audio onboard anyway.

Video card is very important. Right now the best bang-for-you-buck high performing GPU is the Nvidia GTX460 768mb. The 1gb version is about 5-8% faster, but costs a little more too and that 1gb is only really needed for higher resolution settings. Still, it's a good way to go.
From ATI, the 5850 is a great GPU and is one notch higher than the 460 on the heirarchy. IMO, if you pick a motherboard with SLI support get the 460 so that down the road you can easily stick another 460 in it and get superb performance. Otherwise you need either single card Nvidia or you can crossfire ATI. That said, if you play at, say, 1280x1020 or something then a 5770 is a fine GPU and much cheaper. It's not going to max games out at 1920x1080 but it's a decent performer nonetheless. Nvidia GTS 260 I believe would be similar, but then you won't have DX11.

Make sure you buy Windows 7 64bit

Get 4GB RAM. Speed/latency isn't a big deal. If you were thinking of overclocking the CPU, then get 1600mhz RAM. If not, 1333mhz RAM.

PSU is important. Get a quality one. My preffered brand is Corsair. They offer great quality PSUs with a ton of amperage. I believe Antec has stepped up their PSUs lately, so that's fine too.

For a case, just get a mid size tower, as long as it can support ATX motherboards. A really good budget case is the Antec 300 - but it really comes down to your taste. Buy one you like.

CPU cooler is a good idea but only required for overclocking. My suggestion, to keep it cheap, is the Hyper 212+ which is great for it's cost.

Anyway, we can throw numbers and product names at you all day, but you really need to do some research so your not dissapointed in the end. And http://tomshardware.com is a really great place to start. Once you start thinking about and picking some items, google reviews and you'll find other good sources - overclockers.net, silentpcreview.com, frostytech.com, guru3d.com etc etc. There's plenty.

Start by matching a CPU and GPU - a higher end GPU will do better with a faster CPU. Then based on that you can get the mobo, RAM, PSU... etc.

NOTE: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/balanced-gaming-pc-overclock,2699.html
Part 4 of a series "Building a Balanced Gaming PC". Lots of info to take in but it's good to read through.

EDIT: I'll make this a super long post by adding a $1000 complete PC I put together for another thread. I made it off newegg.ca, so it's under $1000 Canadian. I'd recommend a 1080p monitor but otherwise this PC is very good.

Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition +
BIOSTAR TA890GXE AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Combo deal $269.98
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.456495

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 RAM $89.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145278&cm_re=dual_channel_ddr3-_-20-145-278-_-Product

Corsair 550VX PSU $99.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004&Tpk=550vx

Antec 300 case $54.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066&cm_re=antec_300-_-11-129-066-_-Product

Western Digital 500GB HDD $54.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136497

Philips 19" LCD Monitor 1440x900 $114.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824133039

Cyber Acoustics 2.1 speakers $39.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836150086

ASUS DirectCU TOP GTX 460 768mb $214.49
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121390&cm_re=gtx_460-_-14-121-390-_-Product

Cheap keyboard $12.49
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823107128

Cheap laser mouse $19.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826193039

Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R Lightscribe $23.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118040

Grand total: $995.89 (Canadian)

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Banksey said:
The last year have been quite an adventurous month for me when it comes to games. I decided to download steam and purchase half life 1 for my quality challenged laptop. It worked well. I then decided to re-install call of duty 1. That also worked

But then I started becoming more modern. A free weekend for killing floor came out, so i gave it a try. It worked on the lowest settings possible, but even then I realised the zombies moved alot slower on my game then my friends and the people I played with online, which made lag. Then i got tf2, and that dosent work at all on the lowest settings.

So ive decided to buy a new desktop computer to replace my laptop. BUT Ive decided to get one that can run these games and any more I buy.

So heres my question to you? How much would a computer that can run games at a fair level cost? I dont really want everything at max settings or anything crazy like that, I just want one that can run games like tf2 and kf at normal settings (so I dont have to fuss about with them) and the normal speed for the game. I havent got a budget, its the more it is the longer I have to wait.

Also, what graphics card would you reccomend?
If you're buying a fairly decent monitor to go with it then probably £600 minimum but that would probably be making compromises. Personally I'd spend £1000 for new PC and monitor but then you can game just fine on something much cheaper.

LightningBanks

Apr 15, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Any graphics card made in the past five years will eat those games for breakfast. Your laptop must STINK.
It does indeed, it has (wait for it) ...Freaking intel chips for family >.<

Last time I ever let my parents get a 'surprise computer' without me taking it apart to see whats inside, Its actually quite shocking how they got sold such an appaling laptop

(I am on said laptop, I hope it doesent see this and ban me from going on it)

LightningBanks

Apr 15, 2009
Continuity said:
Banksey said:
The last year have been quite an adventurous month for me when it comes to games. I decided to download steam and purchase half life 1 for my quality challenged laptop. It worked well. I then decided to re-install call of duty 1. That also worked

But then I started becoming more modern. A free weekend for killing floor came out, so i gave it a try. It worked on the lowest settings possible, but even then I realised the zombies moved alot slower on my game then my friends and the people I played with online, which made lag. Then i got tf2, and that dosent work at all on the lowest settings.

So ive decided to buy a new desktop computer to replace my laptop. BUT Ive decided to get one that can run these games and any more I buy.

So heres my question to you? How much would a computer that can run games at a fair level cost? I dont really want everything at max settings or anything crazy like that, I just want one that can run games like tf2 and kf at normal settings (so I dont have to fuss about with them) and the normal speed for the game. I havent got a budget, its the more it is the longer I have to wait.

If you're buying a fairly decent monitor to go with it then probably £600 minimum but that would probably be making compromises. Personally I'd spend £1000 for new PC and monitor but then you can game just fine on something much cheaper.
Its all quite hazy atm, Im trying to get prepared for it, but i want to spend as much as I can on it, but im just entering sixth form, and Im trying to get a part time job aswell. The final budget I have is gonna rely on my income and whatever I need money for at the time.

EDIT: Also how long I can put up with my laptop before throwing it at something

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Danny Ocean said:
Mid-Price Gaming PC- 867 said:
Case- Xigmatek Utgard-- 62
Mobo- Gigabyte GA p55m ud2-- 85
CPU- Intel Core i5-750-- 150
RAM- Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800-- 100
GPU- Asus Radeon HDh5850 1gb-- 230
CPU Cooling- Gelid Tranquillo-- 24
PSU- Antec TruePower New TP-650-- 100
HDD- Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB-- 50
OpD- Samsung SH-D162D-- 12
Scrd- Asus Xonar DX-- 58
I'd not recommend the Utgard as of yet, got one myself and there are some fairly major quality control issues (they may have fixed them by now, unsure).
Stick with Antec's cases for now.

John47

Jul 19, 2010
Banksey said:
Tadas Kucikas said:
Banksey said:

it's not worth it trying to make a computer to run the MOST modern games because it will run the most modern games without lag for about 4 months
Im more going to use my computer for valve games (tf2,l4d) games on multiple systems Ill probably buy on ps3 (9/10)
you know the crazy thing? my pc is 4 years old already and it can still run modern games on the highest graphics like mw2,l4d2,runs all the modern valve games on highest i like valve they don't make huge just HUGE system requirements for theyre games to not piss people off
also i think teamfortress 2 should be called 3 because so far there are three valve original teamfortress games

Dodgy

Mar 23, 2010
Tadas Kucikas said:
Banksey said:
Tadas Kucikas said:
Banksey said:

it's not worth it trying to make a computer to run the MOST modern games because it will run the most modern games without lag for about 4 months
Im more going to use my computer for valve games (tf2,l4d) games on multiple systems Ill probably buy on ps3 (9/10)
you know the crazy thing? my pc is 4 years old already and it can still run modern games on the highest graphics like mw2,l4d2,runs all the modern valve games on highest i like valve they don't make huge just HUGE system requirements for theyre games to not piss people off
also i think teamfortress 2 should be called 3 because so far there are three valve original teamfortress games
Sorry to make this such a big post with all the quotes but I disagree with what Tadas wrote. Since the 360 and the PS3 PC gaming graphics have all but remained stable. Nothing has beaten Crysis really and that game is 3 years old now, dating back to 2007.

If anything PC gaming has become pretty cheap because of the multi-platform developping, it slowed down the constant graphics improvement that PC games aspired earlier.

Oldmanwillow

Mar 30, 2009
Banksey said:

Whats your budget OP, i can give you the specification of a computer that will run any game on max for about 5 years for 950 (just built one for my friend)

and for all the people saying "you need to upgrade everytime a game comes for for PC" you are so wrong its funny i am sorry you dont know anything about computers.

4 years ago i bought my comp for 1000 and it still runs everything on max (except crysis and thats on high)

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
Layz92 said:
I would recommend an NVIDIA card, probably a 1 gig graphics card so you can run some future releases (though a 512mb can run a fair whack of games an minimum). You can probably get an acceptable computer from 700-1000 dollars (aus dollars).
1 gig graphics cards still aren't fully utilized 512mb is enough (tho the 1 gig does future proof a little). The amount of memory a card has does not = a better card, there are plenty of 512 cards out there that beat the crap out of some of the 1 gig cards. Memory is only one thing that you have to look at on a graphics card, to say "buy a card that has 1gig of ram" really doesn't help much at all, they could go out and buy some card with a gig of ram that is lucky to push 20-30gb/s (you probably don't know, so my upper mid range card is does 76.8gb/s)

PurpleSky said:
I used Ati x800 for a long time,everything that didn't require a 3.0 pixel shader ( latest games do ) at minimum specs went just great,but last month it died on me, and I bought a HD9600GT (i think is the main name) which runs everything to great settings so far.So I would recommend that,it's about 100 dollars.

Also,welcome, please feel free to enjoy the complementary modding and private servers.

Even the old graphics card would run Killing Floor and TF2 for me.
HDXXXX = ATI, you'll find your card is a nVida 9600GT, and yeah it runs most things fine now, but its on its way out, and its easily not the card to go for if your building a new rig, If your building a rig yourself try future proof it at least a little bit.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
Banksey said:

You really need to set a budget before we can help, before you you're self will know what to get, without a budget you could line up all the parts and not knowing how fast you save, but could end up having to re-think your build when you finally get the money because prices change, technology changes.

If you really want to build your own set a budget (and a rough time period) otherwise browse all the pre-build stuff(don't touch alienware unless your happy paying insane markups), but you'll save yourself a lot of money if you build yourself.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
(BWM) T-O-M said:
Yay more PC Gamers:D
Amen. Happily "dying" since 1985.

But seriously, the first thing you need to ditch is the notion of being a graphics whore. Learn to love medium-high setting (aka "console-level" for multiplatform games) and you'll get a LOT of mileage out of a PC.

Mine's been chugging along since December of 2006 and I don't have a word of complaint about its performance. It looks like Civ5 is going to be the first game to really push it beyond its limits. Which makes me sad, because I'm not rich enough to replace it right now and won't be for at least another year.

PurpleSky

Apr 20, 2010
TheComedown said:
HDXXXX = ATI, you'll find your card is a nVida 9600GT, and yeah it runs most things fine now, but its on its way out, and its easily not the card to go for if your building a new rig, If your building a rig yourself try future proof it at least a little bit.
Thanks for the correction, yes it's nVidia, and I quite like the difference, ati used to be a bother when looking for new drivers.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
PurpleSky said:
TheComedown said:
Thanks for the correction, yes it's nVidia, and I quite like the difference, ati used to be a bother when looking for new drivers.
ATI have always been a little poor with its drivers but recently its gotten a lot better with its driver support, I recently got my HD5770 OC edition and haven't had an issue with it, for the same price I was going to get gts250 which has less grunt and chews up more power.

HerrBobo

Jun 3, 2008
Welcome to the sharp end of gaming!

In the UK you could do it for less then a grand.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Building a system from scratch that can run a modern game at a reasonable pace can be done for well under 1000 USD. My own system can run all modern games at the highest settings without stuttering cost about 1100 USD and, truth be told, there was easily room to cut the price by 300 USD without hampering performance significantly.