Beer goggles are real

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
http://www.inquisitr.com/1251004/the-existence-of-beer-goggles-confirmed-by-researchers/
A recently concluded study has proved people are more attractive after a few alcoholic drinks or as it referred to as the beer goggles effect. Research by the University of Bristol's Tobacco and Alcohol Research Group (TARG) conducted laboratory tests to gauge whether drink changed people's perceptions of what is attractive.

Volunteers were randomly offered either an alcoholic drink or a non-alcoholic placebo drink. After each drink, they were shown images of 20 male faces, 20 female faces and 20 landscapes. The subjects were asked to rate the pictures on 'attractiveness'.

Sure enough, Researchers confirmed attractiveness ratings were quite higher for all three image types, among the alcohol group as compared to the placebo group. The conductors of the study hence concluded the beer goggle hypothesis, which claims that people become more attractive to the opposite sex after a few drinks, is true.
I guess this comes as no surprise.

Your thoughts on this? And has anyone here experienced the effect of 'beer goggles' for real?

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
First of all, Duh. That actually had to do a study about this?

Second, that doesn't really answer if it's just an effect on the eyes, that the other person actually looks any different, or an effect on mind, in that the drinker's standards are simply lowered.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Everybody knows alcohol takes away inhibition, "beer goggles" is just a funny way of putting it.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
For a second I thought this was a thread about literal beer goggles.
OT: I'm not surprised, anybody that's had a few at a bar or a party has experienced this.

Call me Baz

Nov 26, 2011
madwarper said:
First of all, Duh. That actually had to do a study about this?

Second, that doesn't really answer if it's just an effect on the eyes, that the other person actually looks any different, or an effect on mind, in that the drinker's standards are simply lowered.
I'm not sure putting drunk people in an MRI machine is the best idea. They look tough to clean out, and I'm not sure there's any other way to really "prove" that sort of thing.

Above all, would it really even matter? Or more to the point "Do they actually have to do a study about that?" :p

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Call me Baz said:
Above all, would it really even matter? Or more to the point "Do they actually have to do a study about that?" :p
To say something, that everyone already knew exists, exists is not a very productive study. To try to explain why it happens would be something worth looking into.

It's like the recent study that said 50% of "gamers" were female. Ok, did they look into what types of games those females were playing? ie. How many were playing on consoles, how many were just playing Peggle/Candy Crush? No.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I think this has been tested before. You get the same effect for being horny. I wonder what those glasses are called?

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
There was an episode on Mythbusters that did exactly this, years ago. And of course, they arrived at the same conclusion. And here's a related clip on QI -

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
IceForce said:
Tobacco and Alcohol Research Group (TARG)
Am I the only one who likes the idea of this group. These are possibly 2 of my favourite things. I hope they are looking for volunteers

Beer goggles do exist ive experienced them first hand and im sure they have worked in my favour too

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
McElroy said:
I think this has been tested before. You get the same effect for being horny. I wonder what those glasses are called?
Bawdy bifocals? Titillating trifocals? Libidinous lenses? Lewd lorgnons? Lecherous lorgnettes? Prurient pince-nez? Salacious spectacles? Randy rims?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I could have told you that for a bottle of spirits. I want to be a scientist, you get to day drink and call it work.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I wonder what other studies they were conducting at the same time. Maybe accuracy and dexterity experiments with beer pong?

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Everybody knows alcohol takes away inhibition, "beer goggles" is just a funny way of putting it.
Beer goggles isn't connected to inhibitions...the term has nothing to do with your own actions, it's about how you perceive people after a few drinks. Men or women who weren't quite up to your standard suddenly look quite delicious, whether your 'inhibitions' allow you to act on it or not.