Bees Are Dying, Scientists Have Found Out Why

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Bees Are Dying, Scientists Have Found Out Why

Scientists have finally identified what's causing the mass die-off of bees in North America, and it's worse than we thought.

Since 2006, bees in North America have been dying by the tens of millions from Colony Collapse Disorder; a phenomenon in which all the worker bees abruptly abandon the beehive, leaving only a queen and a few worker bees behind. Scientists have struggled to pinpoint a single cause of the disorder, identifying malnutrition, pesticides and habitat loss as potential suspects. However, scientists at the University of Maryland and the U.S. Department of Agriculture have found that CCD is caused by a combination of factors.

When the team collected pollen from beehives in seven major crops and measured the type and concentration of pesticides within the samples, what they found was a hodgepodge of chemicals. These chemicals, found in widely-use fungicides previously believed to be harmless to bees, increase a bee's susceptibility to Nosema cerenae, a parasite that has been linked to CCD. Bees in colonies with high concentrations of those chemicals were three times as likely to be infected by Nosema.

It's unclear what, if anything, can be done to stop this impending beepocalypse, but it needs to be fixed - and soon.

Source: PLOS ONE [http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0070182#authcontrib]

Image: Flickr [http://www.flickr.com/photos/99287245@N00/1039780128/in/photolist-2zT9pA-2zT9w3-2zTEg5-2LtnFZ-2Y8FHr-47soHQ-4bhbZi-4n2122-4oJdUB-4qYXXr-4tkFmn-4v42dr-4vewMr-4viA5U-4BfeAb-4FMq69-4QzRrD-4QzRGM-4QzRPi-4QzSHD-4QE4D7-4QE4YU-4SwBCP-4SAQ2j-4TVf8k-4Xugsg-4XukRx-4Xup1Z-4ZbWRk-54qgVH-54KSmY-56pCYt-58ykH8-5a373m-5a37jC-5d5E3r-5fw6jX-5madKK-5tah2k-5uLLHN-5vurqp-5P9i52-63WLeb-67wggE-6g1sRQ-6g1vaL-6nA7Pv-6tRXan-6wQWkc-6wQYJF-6wQZ4r]

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Huh. Yea, bees going extinct would be bad. Wonder what they'll do to stop it.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Ya for science! we found out what was killing all the bees!

Turns out it was science!

...........ahem.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Been keeping tabs on this for the past few months, it is nothing new to me but is still just as disturbing. The EU has already taken steps against certain pesticides that independent studies show to be unsustainably decimating bee populations across the continent.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Yeah, this is pretty serious. Bee's don't just make delicious honey, they pollinate pretty much everything for us.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
It's likely we will take the same route as we did with DDT and ban it. Of course, then that means chemical companies have to find another fungicide that works, and then we'll find out how bad it is for another species within the next few decades.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
And as you know, CCD leads to a bee version of the Helvetica Scenario.

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
Obligatory "NOT THE BEES!" clip?

In all seriousness, I'm glad to know they finally figured this stuff out. When I first heard of this back when people started talking about this, I thought "Eh, so what?" Then I realized just how much shit can go wrong when you lose pollinators, and that's pretty damn terrifying.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Chemicals.. Is that surprising in the least?

Actually to me it sort of is, because I was personally thinking a lot of it had to do with how obsessive we are about pristeenly kept lawns and we have to go out and shave it the second we even dare see anything resembling a flower in the grass.

Id say the two go hand in hand really because the struggle for their environment forces them to have to work harder and take more risks which in turn does expose them to more chemically treated things.

Sneezeguard

Oct 13, 2010
I remember hearing from somewhere that if all the bees died out then almost all life would die out in 6 years.

Hopefully the beepocalypse can be prevented and the damage reversed but as far as apocalypse's go it's a fairly disappointing one.

I mean you've got none of the cool action of a robot apocalypse or zombie apocalypse or the mystery of a mayan apocalypse.

Who would want to watch a bee apocalypse?

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Well that is at least better than it being based on mobile signals like some thought. Heavens knows nobody would stop using mobile phones but at least farmers can stop using certain pesticides. The situation is solveable.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
I don't think it's likely ensuring biodiversity and curbing mass pesticide use is going to get much political traction right now in the US.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
"Scientists have struggled to pinpoint a single cause of the disorder, identifying malnutrition, pesticides and habitat loss as potential suspects. However, scientists at the University of Maryland and the U.S. Department of Agriculture have found that CCD is caused by a combination of factors."

I would like to congratulate said scientists on discovering the source of every human problem ever: Lots of things. But in all seriousness this is sad/distressing. I'm somewhat curious if there's a way to attack the parasite, since it's unlikely the US is going to ban multiple pest/fungicides simultaneously.

Dr.Awkward said:
It's likely we will take the same route as we did with DDT and ban it. Of course, then that means chemical companies have to find another fungicide that works, and then we'll find out how bad it is for another species within the next few decades.
Hopefully they don't 100% ban everything as with DDT or we'll have a lot of other problems to deal with. Bedbugs are a prime example of what happens when you just stop using things altogether, rather than strictly controlling/regulating them.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Nice to see some decent science news on this site, putting it several steps above other news outlets like Fox News. (ZING!)