Behold The Magical Xbox Tree

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Behold The Magical Xbox Tree

A frustrated father has taken an entertaining if somewhat irrational approach to his children's discipline by nailing their Xbox [http://www.xbox.com] to a tree.

CNN's iReport [http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-60244] has the story about a family man who got tired of listening to the crapola flying between his three sons as they played their Xbox. Although it's unclear whether the boys were fighting over who got to play or how badly they were playing, one thing is unmistakable: When this man of action says he's going to nail something to a tree, he means it.

"My husband had repeatedly warned our three boys about their behavior while playing the Xbox," their mother reported in her iReport report. "Tuesday after I arrived home from work, our oldest son told me to look in the backyard at 'Dad's artwork.' Well, I wasn't surprised to see the Xbox proudly displayed on the nearest tree." She concluded her report with an enthusiastic, "Way to go Honey!!!!!"

I'm not so sure that nailing consumer electronics to nearby trees is the best way to deal with unruly boys, but based on his wife's apparent lack of surprise I do give the guy credit for following through on what he's likely been threatening to do for some time. In that sense, he reminds me of my own dad, who is an ardent believer in the "threaten, then clobber" school of parenting.

And despite this display of burned fuses and primitive woodland augmentation, I have a very strong suspicion that the kids have probably found something else to fight about by now. Boys, after all, will be boys.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Xbox died for your sins! (/heresy)

Though I have at times fantasized about a loud-mouthed opponent's console getting nailed to a tree, wouldn't the better route have been to donate the thing to charity so at least someone gets some use out of it?

-- Steve

Zombie_King

May 26, 2008
Anton P. Nym post=7.68820.641149 said:
Xbox died for your sins! (/heresy)

Though I have at times fantasized about a loud-mouthed opponent's console getting nailed to a tree, wouldn't the better route have been to donate the thing to charity so at least someone gets some use out of it?

-- Steve
Pfft, logic. Although that may have been the 'smart' thing to do, nailing someone's Xbox to a tree really makes a statement. And that statement is, "Get the sh-t out, or the Xbox is gonna have company." I don't think you can truly respect a parent until they kill a bear with their hands, or do this.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
HA, proof, the origonal XBOX is still as vunerable as the breakbox 360(Well, at least mine anyway).

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
LMAO!!!!!!

This is wonderful. Kids these days have no responsibility. It is about time someone took a stand and taught those brats a lesson.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
"IF YOU GUYS DON'T SHUT UP I'LL NAIL YOU TO THE TREE. And you better f'in believe I will, remember that little Xbox you guys had...".

This guy is awesome.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
sirdanrhodes post=7.68820.641168 said:
HA, proof, the origonal XBOX is still as vunerable as the breakbox 360(Well, at least mine anyway).
I don't think this quite qualifies as a "technical" fault.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
seeing this reminds me I still have an xbox n, having lost another 360 to technical failings, should prob give up n go back to the origional. Least that takes effort to break it

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
They probably goaded him into it. Now they'll just pester him constantly until he breaks down and buys them a 360. I mean, I remember as a kid, you had to think of some good reason to get your stuff broken so you could get new stuff. If your parents actually broke it, well, you were good as gold.

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
1) Awesome
2) why the fuck is this news?
3) I wouldn't be surprised nailed the wrong console up there. His kids probably had an xbox 360, but he just knew it as an xbox. Have you ahve been playing playstation, then your mom told you to stop playing "gameboy" and do such-and-such. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, especially since the kids didn't seem to broken up about it.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
I'm just surprised that he managed to not only find a strong enough tree but a nail to hold the Xbox in place, those things weight a ton!

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
So why couldn't he just take it away and have the boys donate it to a local boys club or needy family? While I applaud the dad for the discipline, I'm not sure how this serves a greater good.

So because he couldn't control the kids, he ends up nailing/damaging a tree and Xbox that could have gone to some more deserving kids as a donation...hmmmmm.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Alone Disciple post=7.68820.641645 said:
So why couldn't he just take it away and have the boys donate it to a local boys club or needy family? While I applaud the dad for the discipline, I'm not sure how this serves a greater good.

So because he couldn't control the kids, he ends up nailing/damaging a tree and Xbox that could have gone to some more deserving kids as a donation...hmmmmm.
Its the mindset, I'm afraid. After all, if you believe something has turned your kid into an procrastinating twat, then you don't generally believe that giving it to more children will help.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Melaisis post=7.68820.641703 said:
Alone Disciple post=7.68820.641645 said:

Its the mindset, I'm afraid. After all, if you believe something has turned your kid into an procrastinating twat, then you don't generally believe that giving it to more children will help.
I think it's the symbolic nature of the act. Yah, he could just "give" it away. But so what. No, this guy took it one step further and sent a message to all other consoles: "Come to my house, get crucified, *****."