Ben Affleck is the next Batman

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Un-fucking-believable. I like the guy but seriously, I can't stop thinking "He's Ben Affleck" in every movie he's in.
He was the bomb in "Phantoms", yo!
I wonder if Ben will get Kevin Smith a role in Batman? Kevin must'be climaxed when he heard the news. "I'm so getting a role in this!".

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
MrGalactus said:
I have never seen him in a hand-to-hand fight scene ever in his entire career.
He did a bunch of hand to hand fight scenes in Dare Devil. Now mind you, the movie wasn't very good, and even the fight scenes were kind of hokey, but he's easily fit enough to pull them off. It's more of a question of whether or not they'll be well choreographed and directed that'll make or break them.

To be honest, it's not so much the action part that I worry about with the casting of Affleck, it's everything else. Lets just say that he made a less than stellar Dare Devil, and it seemed like he was phoning it in the entire time. I really don't think he has the presence to play Batman. I don't think he can pull off the whole calm on the surface, rage boiling underneath, thing that's required to play Batman well.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Same thing I've been saying all day.

"I know right?! Next thing you know they'll get that asshole from A Knights Tale to play the Joker."

Ben Affleck is not a bad actor. He's been in some bad movies, he's been given some terrible direction, but I've seen him in more than a handful of films where he's genuinely good.

While he wouldn't have been my first choice to play Batman, I can see the logic behind the casting choice.

Affleck does have a kind of charm to him that would make for a good Bruce Wayne and a lighter Batman and that's important if, as many people are assuming, this is an attempt to ramp up for a Justice League flick. Man of Steel showed that you can't really bring the rest of the JLA down to Batman's level of brooding angst and expect it to work, so you need to lighten up the Bat a little bit. I'm not saying to give him the full Adam West treatment but a personality more in line with a cast of Alien shapeshifters, Amazon Princesses, Atlanean kings and...Hawk People. On his own "grimdark" Batman works great, as part of an expanded universe he's a joykill.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
MrGalactus said:
I have never seen him in a hand-to-hand fight scene ever in his entire career.
He did a bunch of hand to hand fight scenes in Dare Devil. Now mind you, the movie wasn't very good, and even the fight scenes were kind of hokey, but he's easily fit enough to pull them off. It's more of a question of whether or not they'll be well choreographed and directed that'll make or break them.

To be honest, it's not so much the action part that I worry about with the casting of Affleck, it's everything else. Lets just say that he made a less than stellar Dare Devil, and it seemed like he was phoning it in the entire time. I really don't think he has the presence to play Batman. I don't think he can pull off the whole calm on the surface, rage boiling underneath, thing that's required to play Batman well.
Oh Goooooood Daredevil, I forgot about Daredevil, oh christ.

imahobbit4062 said:
Also, you are aware actors get trained in hand to hand combat for roles right?
Doesn't mean they're good at doing it in front of a camera. Christian Bale suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks at fighting in the Dark Knight Trilogy.

You know who the best Batman was? Nick Cage. The way he moves in the Big Daddy warehouse scene is just perfect for Batman. He walked around with command and purpose, like he knew what he was doing, but acts as if he doesn't give too much of a shit. He seemed comfortably superior to who he was fighting. No panic, and only a little urgency.

He's like 50 now, and totally insane, but NICK CAGE FOR BATMAN!

YuberNeclord

Jul 15, 2012
MrGalactus said:
You know who the best Batman was? Nick Cage. The way he moves in the Big Daddy warehouse scene is just perfect for Batman. He walked around with command and purpose, like he knew what he was doing, but acts as if he doesn't give too much of a shit. He seemed comfortably superior to who he was fighting. No panic, and only a little urgency.

That reminds me, I remember hearing how Nicolas Cage almost ended up playing Superman back in the 90's before the whole thing fell through.

OMG, I just had a brainwave...the Justice League Movie should cast Nicolas Cage as every member of the Justice league. Including Wonder Woman. I'd watch that.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
YuberNeclord said:
MrGalactus said:

That reminds me, I remember hearing how Nicolas Cage almost ended up playing Superman back in the 90's before the whole thing fell through.

OMG, I just had a brainwave...the Justice League Movie should cast Nicolas Cage as every member of the Justice league. Including Wonder Woman. I'd watch that.
Nickolas Cage should be an alternate reality Superman from a different universe!

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
meh. having difficulties caring about batman anymore. need a break from the franchise.......after Arkham origins

cricketer15

Jun 16, 2011
Vivi22 said:
But at the same time, that was my gut reaction when Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker so I'm going to wait and see what happens. The man's a good actor, so even if I can't see it, I'm going to wait and see how it goes.
when heath ledger got casted as joker he coped a lot of shit from social media as well.
http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/08/23/this-batmanben-affleck-backlash-sounds-familiar
i personally cant see him as batman, but if he pulls it off i will give him my oscar. and my batsuit. i am the batman

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Have people actually considered you know... Waiting for a trailer to
be released before raging? He might actually do a good job. surely we've all been pleasantly surprised by an actor at one point?

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
While I would have prefered say, Jackie Chan, I'm fine with this news. Now hopefully he doesn't act like Batman has throat cancer.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Vivi22 said:
My gut reaction is that I'm not convinced he's the right choice.

But at the same time, that was my gut reaction when Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker so I'm going to wait and see what happens. The man's a good actor, so even if I can't see it, I'm going to wait and see how it goes.
Very good attitude. Affleck can act. He has been in a few shit films but he knows his job and whats involved. Him being right for the part is the main question. We all forget that when Michael Keaton got Batman, fans flipped their shit and he is arguably the best Batman. (Or at least the most interesting to watch)

Nobody wants to give a bad performance and great actors have had bad direction an made terrible films, while weak actors can flourish under a good director.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
It's a bit optimistic to expect another 'Joker' but we'll have to see. Who knows, maybe this franchise will strike gold twice.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
I'll happily take another Batman as long as it means the memetic "Bale-voice" starts to die down because of it. Don't really care if it's Ben Affleck or not since I've not seen any movies he's been in.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
YuberNeclord said:
MrGalactus said:

Jul 31, 2013
But...but how will he keep his secret identity a secret with that butt-chin of his. I mean, there can only be one butt-chin of that magnitude in Gotham City, right? I wonder if that'll become a plot point...

On topic, I like Affleck as an actor, I like him as a director. I liked him in Argo, The Town and Daredevil (director's cut, the original version is god-fucking-awfull.) But Baffleck as Batman? I have no idea how that'll work out.

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
Not a huge of Ben Asslick. Despite the shameless propaganda, Argo was quite a good film. I care very little for the Batman franchise so I'm not upset.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Did anyone think Heath Ledger would do a good Joker? Because I sure as hell didn't.

I think he'l do a great Bruce Wayne, but I'm having a hard time picturing him in the Batsuit.

Vanorae

Oct 5, 2011
All I know is that Ben Affleck is a good actor and apparently Argo was pretty good. Haven't seen it yet. I think we should give the guy a chance. Heck, you only really know if the person if fit for the part once you've actually seen him do it. I also didn't think Heath Ledger would make a good Joker, and I was incredibly off on that one.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I dont like Ben Affleck. But he is a good actor. But he cant fill in Christian Bales shoes.
But, just maybe, he seems a better fit for a millionare smart guy than Christian Bale.
Hmmm. Lets see.