Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
bartholen said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Thaluikhain said:
Hmm...new Batman? Does this mean a reboot?

Can we have a new origin story and watch his parents get shot again? That's what we all really want, right?
I want someone to finally give Batman a real reason to be Batman. The dead parents thing is fine and all for beginning his career, but continuing it? C'mon, you need something better than that.
Didn't Batman Begins do that though? At first Bruce wants revenge on Joe Chill, but when that's taken away from him by the Falcone lackeys, he realizes crime in Gotham is a much bigger issue, and merely taking out small fry like Chill will ultimately solve nothing. Then the League of Shadows teaches him the techniques, and finally the corruption in the GCPD (represented by Flass) makes him take matters to his own hands. I think that's plenty of justification beyond "muh mum and dad wurr murrdurrd".
Well, that only really works for Nolans Batman, who really only existed for Gotham City and its problems. This DCEU Batman clearly is concerned with more than just Gotham.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Ebola_chan said:
It's funny how things work out. Leading up to the release of BvS everyone was bemoaning the fact that Ben Affleck would play Batman, and now everyone is lamenting his (potential) departure. I thought he was on the same level as Christian Bale, and I'll be really upset if we never get more Batman from Affleck, I think he has a lot to offer the character.

Whether he leaves or not, one thing is certain: People are fickle.
I'm glad he's leaving just for what it means for the DCEU. I was definitely not a fan of BvS (I won't go into it here) and I'm ready for WB to give up at this point. I think Affleck could be a great Batman though given the right material. He's a comics fan and he's got the build and personality for it. I do feel bad that he had to get mixed up in this train wreck. In my opinion, Bale was alright as Batman. Of course, I feel a little differently about the Nolan trilogy than most in that I think Batman Begins was the best of the 3. I liked the more comic-book feel of the movie as opposed to the straight detective story that the Dark Knight was. It was loosely based off of The Long Halloween which is a very grounded story and I prefer the more fantastical elements of Batman. If you put Ben Affleck in an adaptation of Hush, or the Red Hood, or Venom, a more personal story about the actual character and his internal demons then I think you'd have a good movie.

Just Ebola

Literally Hitler
Jan 7, 2015
PapaGreg096 said:
You should check it out Deadly Class or Southern Bastards, both are great reads. Hell Image has some pretty great books in general
Image comics does seem to make some really cool stuff, I'd like to dabble in some of their other comics when I have the money to. I remember seeing an add for a graphic novel recently about a vigilante that wore a red mask that killed a bunch of gunmen. I thought that looked neat but I cannot for the life of me remember the name now.
JUMBO PALACE said:
Ebola_chan said:
It's funny how things work out. Leading up to the release of BvS everyone was bemoaning the fact that Ben Affleck would play Batman, and now everyone is lamenting his (potential) departure. I thought he was on the same level as Christian Bale, and I'll be really upset if we never get more Batman from Affleck, I think he has a lot to offer the character.

I'm glad he's leaving just for what it means for the DCEU. I was definitely not a fan of BvS (I won't go into it here) and I'm ready for WB to give up at this point. I think Affleck could be a great Batman though given the right material. He's a comics fan and he's got the build and personality for it. I do feel bad that he had to get mixed up in this train wreck. In my opinion, Bale was alright as Batman. Of course, I feel a little differently about the Nolan trilogy than most in that I think Batman Begins was the best of the 3. I liked the more comic-book feel of the movie as opposed to the straight detective story that the Dark Knight was. It was loosely based off of The Long Halloween which is a very grounded story and I prefer the more fantastical elements of Batman. If you put Ben Affleck in an adaptation of Hush, or the Red Hood, or Venom, a more personal story about the actual character and his internal demons then I think you'd have a good movie.
I'll concede to that, BvS was an overly ambitious movie that tried to do too much and ended up squandering what could've been some good performances. I love Batman as a character and want to see some good Batman media in the next couple of years. I hope they find a good replacement if he does leave, but still.

I'll be sad to see that beefy bat boy go.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Ebola_chan said:
PapaGreg096 said:
You should check it out Deadly Class or Southern Bastards, both are great reads. Hell Image has some pretty great books in general
Image comics does seem to make some really cool stuff, I'd like to dabble in some of their other comics when I have the money to. I remember seeing an add for a graphic novel recently about a vigilante that wore a red mask that killed a bunch of gunmen. I thought that looked neat but I cannot for the life of me remember the name now.
JUMBO PALACE said:
Ebola_chan said:

Sounds a lot like Luthor Strode(though his mask isn't red)

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
If affleck's out they need to cancel the whole deal. He's easily the strongest pillar of the whole thing, we all thought he was fantastic as batman. He walks, the EU needs to be rebooted.

Bob_McMillan said:
Thaluikhain said:

Can we have a new origin story and watch his parents get shot again? That's what we all really want, right?
I want someone to finally give Batman a real reason to be Batman. The dead parents thing is fine and all for beginning his career, but continuing it? C'mon, you need something better than that.
you gotta realize comics is all 2nd act. thats why Batman works. because we never get to the logical closeur point where he stops being Batman.

Thats part of the reason I liked TDK Trilogy so much, it ends with him not only hanging up the cowl, but actually finding a way to finally be happy again. Because that's all Batman is, an unhappy person. Thats his core conflict. and theres only two ways his story ends, either he gets killed being batman or he finally meets a woman and realizes "Hey... I don't have to keep throwing myself in harms way in order to deal anymore."

In short, I think Kevin Smith pointed out the best. Dick Grayson can grow up, have a girlfriend and still fight crime. Batman can't.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
I want to at least see an attempt. I have zero faith in any of the heroes left. Flash's Ezra Miller just kinda looks weird, Cyborg looks like a cheap Terminator, and Aquaman (the only movie who has had good news so far) is, well, Aquaman. Wonder Woman looks fine, but I feel like I know exactly what's going to happen in it already.

But Batman, Batman is so easy to do right, and (barring Zack Snyder's stupidity) he was done great in BvS. Give me one good Batman movie out of the DCEU, and the rest can go burn in the flames of a reboot.
It is also incredibly easy to do wrong. All you need is a producer or a person of power inside WB pushing to enforce marketing or commercial deals, and a director without the leverage to fight for his own decisions. That is the reason why Batman and Robin had the batcard (deal with Visa) and a handful of colorful villains with only a couple being relevant (merchandising potential). It is also the reason why the Dark Knight trilogy started so good, because WB was ready to give up on the property's potential and gave him green light to do whatever he wanted.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Jump ship whilst ye can, Affleck! We still love you! Or... Mildly to medium appreciate you. But it's definitely a positive feeling! Take that DC license too, then crush it, burn it and build it from the ground up. Except without another Bruce Wayne origin story cos it's done, we get it... parents dead, batman mad. Sad. And...umm...clad?

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Ebola_chan said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Sounds like The Red Hood

Who is a Batman character, but does have a series called Red Hood and the Outlaws. I know it came out with the New 52 but I'm not up to date on its current status. If you like Batman then pick up Under the Red Hood. It's a great story and a key moment in the Batman mythos.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
DudeistBelieve said:
If affleck's out they need to cancel the whole deal. He's easily the strongest pillar of the whole thing, we all thought he was fantastic as batman. He walks, the EU needs to be rebooted.

Bob_McMillan said:
Thaluikhain said:

you gotta realize comics is all 2nd act. thats why Batman works. because we never get to the logical closeur point where he stops being Batman.

Thats part of the reason I liked TDK Trilogy so much, it ends with him not only hanging up the cowl, but actually finding a way to finally be happy again. Because that's all Batman is, an unhappy person. Thats his core conflict. and theres only two ways his story ends, either he gets killed being batman or he finally meets a woman and realizes "Hey... I don't have to keep throwing myself in harms way in order to deal anymore."

In short, I think Kevin Smith pointed out the best. Dick Grayson can grow up, have a girlfriend and still fight crime. Batman can't.
You ever see Mask of the Phantasm? It's a movie from the early 90s done by the Batman The Animated Series team. You see a Bruce Wayne/Batman who is approaching a closing to his career thanks to a woman and outside influences.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
JUMBO PALACE said:
DudeistBelieve said:

Bob_McMillan said:
Thaluikhain said:

You ever see Mask of the Phantasm? It's a movie from the early 90s done by the Batman The Animated Series team. You see a Bruce Wayne/Batman who is approaching a closing to his career thanks to a woman and outside influences.
Or hell, the Batman movie with Val Kilmer as Batman, he actually has some growth. He realizes, after spending time with Nicole Kidman's character, that he doesn't have to be Batman because of his guilt over his parents, that he can just be Batman because he wants to help people and fight crime. That's a pretty big emotional breakthrough for the caped bat. Instead of doing it out of some misplaced survivor's guilt complex, he does it for the same reason that people like Superman does it. "Because he can, and because it helps others."

I agree that the Dark Knight trilogy was nice in that it ended, however I don't like how it ended. I'm sorry but someone as famous as Bruce Wayne (read someone like George Clooney or Brad Pitt), wouldn't be able to just go to bistros in public and not be recognized by people everywhere. His cover of being dead would be blown immediately.

It made for a nice final shot, sure, but it's impractical as hell xD

Just Ebola

Literally Hitler
Jan 7, 2015
JUMBO PALACE said:
Sounds like The Red Hood

Who is a Batman character, but does have a series called Red Hood and the Outlaws. I know it came out with the New 52 but I'm not up to date on its current status. If you like Batman then pick up Under the Red Hood. It's a great story and a key moment in the Batman mythos.
PapaGreg096 said:
Sounds a lot like Luthor Strode(though his mask isn't red)
I see why you would think so based on what I said, but those aren't it. I spent almost an hour searching for it online before digging out the last few issues of TWD to look for ads in the back and I still didn't find it.

It was about a guy in a red ski mask, no super powers or paranormal elements, just killing a bunch of "bad guys" in a number of brutal ways, all while spouting an inner monologue. It was super violent and seemed interesting but I didn't pay attention to the name at the time.

I'm starting to think it was a fever dream, for how hard to find it is.

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
DudeistBelieve said:
Oh, I don't know... if the girlfriend was a as damaged as he was? That's why Catwoman works so well for him. Imagine all the storylines they could play with. Heck, Batman is always wandering along the tightly balanced line of (for want of better words) light and dark. Toss in a serious GF/wife who has to walk the same line but sometimes can cause him to almost lose his balance... mmnn, development right there. :)

And I also was getting into the whole Cassandra Cain becoming his daughter arc, before it was brutally chopped short. He adopts a young girl, trained by her father (with beatings, shootings... you name it) to kill people. A mother who, frankly, isn't much better and then ends up being adopted by a man who has his own demons that he fights AND uses to beat up people who attack the public of Gotham City.

Imagine THAT teenager bedroom and fathers day. :)

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Happyninja42 said:
JUMBO PALACE said:
DudeistBelieve said:

Bob_McMillan said:
Thaluikhain said:

Or hell, the Batman movie with Val Kilmer as Batman, he actually has some growth. He realizes, after spending time with Nicole Kidman's character, that he doesn't have to be Batman because of his guilt over his parents, that he can just be Batman because he wants to help people and fight crime. That's a pretty big emotional breakthrough for the caped bat. Instead of doing it out of some misplaced survivor's guilt complex, he does it for the same reason that people like Superman does it. "Because he can, and because it helps others."
True! Geez it's been so long since I've seen that movie I completely forgot most of the plot. I'm gonna have to go back and check it out again.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Seeing how he already pulled out of directing the next Batman movie, it's no surprise. Wonder if they'd let him though.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Can you blame him? The man's a fairly accomplished actor. And he seems to genuinely like Batman. But he had to play Batman in a movie that turned out to be a complete trainwreck. And another movie that's not out yet but, let's be reasonable here, is probably gonna be another complete trainwreck. You really expect the guy to stick around for another movie that'll probably just do more damage to his reputation as an actor and the reputation of Batman as a cinematic property? The good will the Dark Knight movies earned them is only gonna last so long.