Ben Affleck Was "Reluctant" to Take Batman Role

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Ben Affleck Was "Reluctant" to Take Batman Role

Ben Affleck initially felt he wasn't the right actor to play Batman but was convinced by director Zack Snyder.

Back in August <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127114-Ben-Affleck-is-The-New-Batman>it was revealed that Ben Affleck would be donning the cape and cowl to co-star as Batman in the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126177-Batman-and-Superman-Facing-Off-in-Man-of-Steel-Sequel>Batman/Superman team-up sequel to Man of Steel. The reaction among certain sects of Bat-fans was, how shall we put it, angry. Affleck did have <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/7987-Batfleck>his defenders, but there were more than a few voices expressing outrage at the thought of Ben "Armageddon/Pearl Harbor/Gigli" Affleck taking up the mantle of the Bat. As it turns out, Affleck himself apparently had some of the same reservations.

"Initially I was reluctant as I felt I didn't fit the traditional mold," he said, speaking about the role. It would apparently be director Zack Snyder who would convince Affleck to take on the job. "Once Zack showed me the concept, and that it would be both different from the great movies that Chris [Nolan] and Christian [Bale] made but still in keeping with tradition I was excited." Affleck wasn't willing to elaborate much, however, on what won him over. "I don't want to go further because I want to be able to capitalize on what is new about this iteration by having it be a surprise to the audience."

Regardless of how surprising the new take on the character is, it's probably still going to take some work to win over Affleck's many skeptics. Then again, if he takes to truly channeling the Dark Knight he shouldn't have too much trouble performing superhuman feats. Maybe he just needs one of those nifty knee brace thingies that aging Bruce Wayne used in The Dark Knight Rises. We're not sure specifically how that would help, but it was fun to watch Christian Bale kick through solid brick.

Source: <a href=http://www.411mania.com/movies/columns/301740#c3TqhsrLxPeWUZOs.99>411Mania

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
I don't understand why they wanted him if he was so reluctant to play Batman.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Hazzard said:
Probably because Matt Damon is Lex Luthor or something. Or Zack Snyder really wants to see Affleck in a skin tight costume again.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
I don't have a problem with Affleck as Batman. My problem is with the fact that WB is rushing the whole Superman vs Batman thing right after Man of Steel. I think they should of waited one more movie, but they desperately want to catch up to Marvel in establishing their own cinematic comic-verse.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
The more I think about it, the less of a problem I have with Affleck as Batman. I'm sure he can play a Batman Beyond style crusty asshole just fine, which I suspect is where this movie is headed.

No, my bigger concern is that the script will be obviously rushed like it was for Man of Steel and Snyder will apply a blue filter to the entire film like he always does.

P.S. Thanks

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Hazzard said:
Because he's a good actor?

It's a decade now since the aberrations that were Gigli and Daredevil, sooner or later you have to forgive him.

AntiChrist

Jul 17, 2009
james.sponge said:
Hazzard said:
Because of Zack's artistic vision. You can't argue with artistic visions.
That's right! Zack Snyder is out to reinvent cinema as we know it. Batman vs Superman: The Citizen Kane of movies - you heard it here first!

Also:

I-LIKE-YOUR-AVATAR

There, I said it.

Nov 28, 2007
fix-the-spade said:
Hazzard said:
Because he's a good actor?

It's a decade now since the aberrations that were Gigli and Daredevil, sooner or later you have to forgive him.
Especially considering that no actor could have made the lines in Daredevil work. Like, at all.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
It doesn't particularly matter who plays Batman or Superman or any other character for that matter in this movie or any other, what does is whether the ones picked to write the damn script can actually write. If not, there's absolutely nothing that can salvage a movie, not big time actors, not big time directors, not big time producers, the movie is just outright screwed.

Affleck is probably the best actor I can think of who could play Batman who hasn't actually done it yet, and it's because of Daredevil. He was basically already playing a slightly less broody Batman in Daredevil, and playing it well.

Oh, and for the record, I LIKED Daredevil, in fact it's the movie that really got me into reading his comics for the first time. I have no idea why so many people hate it, it's like throwing a gold bar in the trash because the gold isn't pure enough.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Batfleeeeeeecccck batfleck! da da dada dada!

I suppose it'll be interesting to see how it plays out, but by the time the team-up movie comes out, the Avengers' movie/character troupe will be very strong.

petrolmonkey

May 6, 2009
At first I was in the anti-Afleck camp but the more I think about it, even Bale wasn't that good. So far Michael Keaton was the best Batman and he killed people (as Batman, though I have my suspicions).

Then pretty much this:

Covarr said:
The more I think about it, the less of a problem I have with Affleck as Batman. I'm sure he can play a Batman Beyond style crusty asshole just fine, which I suspect is where this movie is headed.

No, my bigger concern is that the script will be obviously rushed like it was for Man of Steel and Snyder will apply a blue filter to the entire film like he always does.

P.S. Thanks

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
I hated, hated, hated bale as batman, he just doesn't look like a batman, I could barely stand watching those movies.

At least Batfleck looks like a batman, I think he will do a fine job.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
WHY THE HELL IS EVERYONE SO SKEPTICAL ABOUT BEN AFFLECK PLAYING BATMAN?

Seriously, he's had a few 'off' movies but he's had far more hits. He has shown that he can do comedy, drama, and everything in-between, far better than a lot of actors I can name. For the comedy side we have Dogma, Chasing Amy, and Mallrats. For the drama, far more suited for Batman, we have Good Will Hunting, The Sum of All Fears, State of Play, The Town, Gone Baby Gone, and the most relevant of all I feel, Argo. He has acting chops, serious ones, in films that have gone on to win or be nominated for very prestigious awards. He easily matches, if not out-classes, Christian Bale (one of my favourite actors no less) as an actor, yet people still think he's a bad choice for Batman.

I just don't understand it. Can someone please elaborate for me because I am seriously baffled by the reaction of the so-called 'fans' here...

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
The Bale movies were awful, so anything is an upgrade from that - whether it be the actors or production staff.

And Affleck's appearance alone fits my perception of Batman better than the last 3 movie Batmans, easily.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
a batman no one saw coming, he's perfect.

Seriously though, I think Affleck is a good actor and this can turn out well. I look forward to seeing the finished product.