Benedict Cumberbatch Will Be Marvel's Dr. Strange

Heartsib

Jul 2, 2014
Seriously boring. This guy is everywhere and he's so ubiquitous at this point that the only role where I'm seeing the character and not Cumberbatch is friggin' Smaug. I'll sit this one out.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Kind of a boring choice. The only bork get choice would have been Hugh Laurie.

I wonder if in avengers 3, they will have a behind the scenes Sherlock off?

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
No doubt Benedict's a good actor, but I was hoping (If it's true) he wouldn't get it, largely because I think he's a little overexposed (No doubt this influenced the decision, again, if true). Phoenix was my personal pick.

Even still, like with the Ant Man film, I'm waiting for footage before judging. Remember, Marvel hasn't screwed up yet.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Way I see it, look at the work they've done, then judge.

From my knowledge, the guy has acted in quite a few different types of roles and movies. I don't share the Tumblr level zealotry toward the man, but I know he can act. I'll give Marvel the benefit of the doubt. Plus it could have been worse. I cringed when someone brought up Johnny Depp.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Heartsib said:
Seriously boring. This guy is everywhere and he's so ubiquitous at this point that the only role where I'm seeing the character and not Cumberbatch is friggin' Smaug. I'll sit this one out.
You'll "sit this one out"? A marvel film? Because of one actor? Yeah, good luck with that matey. Tharr be clouds up ahead wher' yo're goin'.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
I don't get where this "overexposed" talk is coming from. Cumberbatch is no more prolific than any other big-name actor these days, and he's a seriously talented actor unlike lots of other actors that show up in everything. Benedict Cumberbatch is popular for a reason.

I mean, Matther McConaughey has been in just about everything since people realized that he's actually a fantastic actor a few years ago, but we aren't skipping Interstellar because it's "yet another McConaughey film".

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Well he's one of those big nerd names the people I know who love marvel love so guess it was only a matter of time. I wonder if I'll ever get the fuss about marvel movies.

Heartsib

Jul 2, 2014
Ferisar said:
Heartsib said:
You'll "sit this one out"? A marvel film? Because of one actor? Yeah, good luck with that matey. Tharr be clouds up ahead wher' yo're goin'.
That one actor is the lead, not a walk-on cameo. And the MCU doesn't really light my socks on fire, tbh. Not bad stuff for the most part and I'll go if a group of friends want to (and it lines up with my schedule), but it's generally very low priority for me when it comes to doling out my entertainment dollar.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
I'll believe it when I see it. Marvel has had a heck of a time getting this role filled, and this isn't the first time I've heard an actor be in "final talks" for the part.

For the record, I think Cumberbatch would be a safe, if uninspired, choice.

...although at some point, I NEED Martin Sheen to show up in the MCU.

Yes, he was awesome as Uncle Ben. No, it totally doesn't count.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Will be relieved if this is true.

Considering the other choices, he was by far the best person for the job.

The hallmark of the MCU thus far has been comedy (and action) with a heart. Joaquin Phoenix is the most serious, depressed looking actor in Hollywood almost. If it were a DC character, it would make sense since they are all about the 'gritty realism' angle, but as a Marvel character? No thanks. Ethan Hawke would be only marginally better. At least he smiles once in a while.

If anyone has watched Sherlock, you can see he will be great because he can carry that great mix of manic hilarity and somber clarity that the character will need.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
While I am excited for this to be true, this might kill off Sherlock as we are already waiting for over a year till the next season...

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Bad choice, he is too skinny, and I can't imagine he looks good with a beard.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
I was honestly looking forward to Joaquin Phoenix, but Cumberbatch is a good actor.

The real question is whether or not he can pull off a beard. He also seems a little young for Strange, but that can be fixed with make-up pretty easily.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
I loved his "shall we begin?" speech in ST into darkness and all his part in sherlock, I'm confident that even though I never read dr.strange and not a fan of "magic" stuff, Benedict will make me like the movie.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Meh. Could have been better. Could have certainly been worse. I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I can't since rumors of this casting have been around for a few months now. Marvel seems to be having issues keeping their shit secret lately with trailers leaking and now this.

I have nothing against Cumberbatch, but I'll wait until I see the film before deciding if I hate it or not. If I can give Affleck a chance as Batman, I can give this guy a chance as Dr. Strange.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Furbyz said:
The real question is whether or not he can pull off a beard.

Pulls it off just fine in my opinion. Mayyyyyy need to dye it though, along with his hair lol

Jinjer

Jun 16, 2012
Eeeh... I don't really see him in the role of Sorcerer Supreme TBH. He's a sought after actor at the moment but there are others who I think would fit the part better

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Yojoo said:
I don't get where this "overexposed" talk is coming from. Cumberbatch is no more prolific than any other big-name actor these days, and he's a seriously talented actor unlike lots of other actors that show up in everything. Benedict Cumberbatch is popular for a reason.

I mean, Matther McConaughey has been in just about everything since people realized that he's actually a fantastic actor a few years ago, but we aren't skipping Interstellar because it's "yet another McConaughey film".
The difference is that we don't hear constant fanboyish gushing every time McConaughey is cast for a role. Meanwhile I heard non-freaking-stop about how awesome it was that Cumberbatch was in the new Star Trek movie... and then it sucked. Then I heard non-freaking-stop about how awesome it was that Cumberbatch was going to be the voice of Smaug in the second part of The Hobbit... and then it sucked. Granted that I'm sure neither movie sucking was his own fault (I blame a terrible story and needless fan fiction, respectively), but it hasn't really done him any favors all the same.

Basically, unless you're a fan of the Sherlock TV show, it gets tiring hearing non-stop gushing every time he gets announced for a new role.