Benefits and disadvantages of gaming in your country

y1fella

Jul 29, 2009
The topic is fairly self explanatory so I'll just start things off. I live in Australia. The advantages are
*easy to acquire games
*Low level of attention from the community (Games Stole my child's life despite what he says)
Now for the disadvantages
*Games are so much more expensive usually about 120 dollars for a new release, About sixty extra if you PlayStation
*Michal Atkinson
*R 18 titles are banned
*No notable game developers are in Australia, so if i want to get a job in the industry i have to move over seas
And that's about it. did i miss anything?

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
y1fella said:
The topic is fairly self explanatory so I'll just start things off. I live in Australia. The advantages are
*easy to acquire games
*Low level of attention from the community (Games Stole my child's life despite what he says)
*Games are so much more expensive usually about 120 dollars for a new release, About sixty extra if you PlayStation
*Michal Atkinson
*R 18 titles are banned
*No notable game developers are in Australia, so if i want to get a job in the industry i have to move over seas
Michael atkinson no longer applies.
Irrational games are part australian.
Game have a much higher level of attention than you think, it's just the vocal minority looking like the mute majority.

I'm glad I'm not a console gamer, and havent bought a game in a physicaly copy for a long time, because 120$? I thought that was only for PS3 new releases.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
Don't forget the shitty internet speeds and delayed release dates. Australia isn't the best place to be for a gamer.../sigh

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
Arcticflame said:
I'm glad I'm not a console gamer, and havent bought a game in a physicaly copy for a long time, because 120$? I thought that was only for PS3 new releases.
Yeah, also go steam! Despite porting it to mac I don't think valve will be bringing their uber-cheap digital distribution/drm/chat thingy to the PS3 any time soon...

y1fella

Jul 29, 2009
Arcticflame said:
y1fella said:
*easy to acquire games
*Michal Atkinson
*R 18 titles are banned
Michael atkinson no longer applies.
Irrational games are part australian.
Game have a much higher level of attention than you think, it's just the vocal minority looking like the mute majority.

Nope i play on ps3 and 360 and the price difference (WHERE I AM AT LEAST)is enormous. Who is irrational games?

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008
y1fella said:
Arcticflame said:
y1fella said:
Nope i play on ps3 and 360 and the price difference (WHERE I AM AT LEAST)is enormous. Who is irrational games?
Bioshock is probably their most famous game, but see for yourself.
Wasn't bioshock made by 2K?
It was published by 2k.

OT: I live in Southern California
Advantages- No one really cares, goodish internet.
Disadvantages- Practically zero game stores (hence 90% of my games are on steam), the culture here is "if you don't play a sport you fail at everything", people here think Farmville is the best thing ever, finding a group for any kind of table top game is an exercise in futility, 99% of the people who call themselves gamers here don't know what WASD is, the people who I live with constantly complain about how loud my computer is (4 120mm fans for the win?), everyone instantly thinks you're addicted to WoW.

Malediozone

Apr 14, 2010
I hear it's pretty good around most parts of Canada, but in my humble little town, our game store is a single display at walmart. So theres low selection, games come in months after they were released, and they're pricey due to such demand. And you can't preorder

The pros: Um... the discount bin has some good stuff in it.

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
The Lawn said:
y1fella said:
Arcticflame said:
y1fella said:
Bioshock is probably their most famous game, but see for yourself.
Wasn't bioshock made by 2K?
It was published by 2k.
Irrational is part of 2K, and was briefly 2K Boston (they made the game, became part of 2K partway through development, released the game under the 2K name, and then went back to being Irrational Games).

OT: The main benefit is that it's fun, but the main problem is that absolutely nobody in mainstream media knows what they're talking about when it comes to video games (such as the Fox coverage of Mass Effect as a sodomy simulator). Well, I can live with them being ignorant because I take solace in the fact that they're all idiots.

DARKLARK

Jul 30, 2008
Benefits for U.S.A: early release dates. tons of game studios.
Disadvantages: Fag politicians who dont know what theyre talkin about but then again what other kind of politician is there

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
DISCLAIMER: I'm Russian. I forgot to put that in so my whining might be misadressed.
Advantages:
+ Quite a lot of shops.
+ Government is not paranoid about violent video games.
That's it, basically.
And, now:
Disadvantages
- High as hell prices - much higher then the ones I've seen in Spain and Germany
- Console gaming is not as prominent so sometimes finding games can be hard (I only managed to find a copy of Top Spin 3 in Germany after looking for so long in Russia).
- Russian games are 98% absolute unplayable crap.
- I hate shopping in our game stores - all of them, except for one, are a bit prejudistic towards 16-year olds (case in point, me) and tend to overwatch me as if I were a thief and constantly nag me.
- No official XBL (that's just lame)
- Gigantic piracy levels
etc. etc.

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
Okay, I'll give it a shot. I like in the UK.

Advantages:
+ Most games only come out a few days after the US etc.
+ The BBFC are much more reasonable at rating games than PEGI. (The BBFC rightly decided that the Mass Effect sex scene was nothing worse than what would appear in a 12-rated film so rightly gave it a "12" which was put on the box instead of PEGI's silly 18+ for mild side-breast. They BBFC only rated Mass Effect 2 "15" because of everyone's newly developed potty mouth).
+ Gaming isn't looked down on as much as in other countries.
+ There's something awesome about having actual games developed from this rainy little island and reaching same heights as the big guys in the US.

Disadvantages:
- If you want to look forward to a Wii game that's coming out then the joke's on you since Nintendo takes bloody ages for no reason to covert it to PAL regions.
- Don't think about using the mic in the presence of people from the US without checking they're not ignorant douches first, you tea-drinking limey who had his ass saved in Dubya-Dubya-Two.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Hong Kong
Pros:
-Cheap games
-I'm able to buy 18+ games in some stores even though I'm 15.
-No one whining about video game violence.

Cons:
-Starcraft players clogging my school computer lab.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Disavantages:
Micheal Atkinson
R 18 rating still problematic
Censorship
Long waits from release in America to release in Australia
Everything costs a lot more

Advantages:
Connections are usually good in online games
We have the sympathy of gamers and developers the world over (a small comfort but it helps)
.... that's all I can think of.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
America seems fine to me. Except I guess for the fact that most people I play with are also in America, which often is not something I enjoy.

oveper

Nov 9, 2009
Norway:
Advantages: Basically noone is paranoid about it, infact our current Prime Minister is a gamer.

Disadvantages: Very expensive, we pay nearly twice as much for games as they do in the US.