Berserk: it finally happened

TWRule

Dec 3, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Guts' name also stems from him being seen as worthless muck by his adopted father. Another word for guts is offal, which I believe in the olden days was used as an insult, and I assume where the word 'awful' comes from.
I was curious about this, so I looked it up. From what I can tell, it's not clear that 'awful' and 'offal' have any etymological relation; they have different roots, with the first being related to "that which inspires fear" and the second being related to "to fall off" (i.e. that which 'falls off' the butcher's block) (https://www.etymonline.com/word/awful) (https://www.etymonline.com/word/offal). 'Awful' used to have much weighter connotations of something which induced dread, whereas 'offal' was apparently more about refuse - not something dreadful, just something unwanted in the way waste is unwanted.

That said, I do think you are right that Guts' name is meant to relate to 'offal' and its root meaning by its evoking imagery of spilled innards and everything about them which is grotesque, unclean, and calling to be disposed of.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
This is a bump for a reason because its been almost a year since this...momentous event has happened.

So what has happened in the world of Berserk since then?

Has Guts been reunited with Casca yet?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
This is a bump for a reason because its been almost a year since this...momentous event has happened.

So what has happened in the world of Berserk since then?

Has Guts been reunited with Casca yet?
Since being cured not much has happened. Last time we saw her she set eyes on Guts for the first time and had a sudden flashback. Since then there have been two or three chapters of Griffith killing giants and that's it. The manga is in the midst of another hiatus atm.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Fappy said:
Since being cured not much has happened. Last time we saw her she set eyes on Guts for the first time and had a sudden flashback. Since then there have been two or three chapters of Griffith killing giants and that's it. The manga is in the midst of another hiatus atm.
Boy, what a shock.

Does Miura even want to work on this series anymore?

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Good question. Aside from short single volume series Japan and Gigantomakhia, the guy has basically worked on nothing else for the past 30 years. I wouldn't really blame him if he's kind of sick of it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Chimpzy said:
Casual Shinji said:
Good question. Aside from short single volume series Japan and Gigantomakhia, the guy has basically worked on nothing else for the past 30 years. I wouldn't really blame him if he's kind of sick of it.
I think it's pretty apparent that he is. And beyond having worked on it for 30 years, the story has become way too big to ever get proper closure. It's a testament to how Muira managed to craft this whole world by himself, but it's just too freaking huge.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Casual Shinji said:
Chimpzy said:
Casual Shinji said:
I think it's pretty apparent that he is. And beyond having worked on it for 30 years, the story has become way too big to ever get proper closure. It's a testament to how Muira managed to craft this whole world by himself, but it's just too freaking huge.
I imagine he envies novelists. They can tell a whole lot more story in a lot less time working on their own.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
bartholen said:
Thoughts?
That certain storytellers really suck at the art of storytelling if they expect people to wait decades to do something and even then, not really resolving the main story in any way.