Besides your money Apple now wants your organs too

Telefonegun

Dec 2, 2015
According to The Guardian upcoming iOS 10 makes becoming an organ donor easy 1 push decision. This new feature is only (phew) available in the USA.
The news doesn't specify does this new feature only mean after death organ donation or does it make possible to get your left kidney donated even before your death. Also the article doesn't say if opting out from the organ donation is 1 push decision. These kind of decisions should't be so easy to make (1 push on an App) and feel that Apple is doing wrong here.

Personally I laughed out loud at this, because it made me think how Apple is one of those companies that is pushing and reseaching self driving cars. So in the future when iOS crashes your iCar with you in it, your iPhone promptly notifies the rescue personnel that your organs are possibly up for grabs.

Even when I don't live in the states I wouldn't never buy an Apple iPhone (I had the 1 gen, got it as a gift and I hated it).

edit.oh here is the Guardian article
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/05/apple-organ-donor-registration-us-iphone-users-tim-cook-steve-jobs-health-app

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I don't see any issue here, studies have shown that the vast majority of people are okay with the idea of organ donation, but a great many have never gotten around to filling out the right forms to signify that. Pushing a button isn't much different from scribbling on a piece of paper, weighed against a very real shortage of donor organs that costs lives as we speak, I'm good with anything that makes signing up easier. For the record, this only applies after you are dead, you aren't going to have a kidney forcibly extracted by a gang of doctors because you pressed a button on an iPhone :p

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Shit, this thread just made me realize that when I switched my license back to Pennsylvania I forgot to renew my organ donorship.

Then again, I'm not even allowed to give blood anymore, so... is there even a point?

As for Apple's thing... eh. It's weird, and one would think unnecessary, but hey, whatever gets those organs out, right?

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Telefonegun said:
The news doesn't specify does this new feature only mean after death organ donation or does it make possible to get your left kidney donated even before your death.
Jesus christ, could you be more insanely paranoid?

These kind of decisions should't be so easy to make
Why not?

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
What the fuck, bro.

If this makes it easier for some lazy people to sign up to be an organ donor, good. Most people are fine with it but just never get around to registering. And no, Apple isn't going to go around yanking organs out of living people.

It's fine, dude. I'm already a donor so it doesn't affect me one way or the other.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
There's a fair degree of really absurd fear over organ donation.

Neither Apple, nor anyone else is going to trick you into becoming an organ donor so the can steal your organs.

They do that regardless of if you are a registered donor or not, everyone knows that. The space lizards aren't that pedantic.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
inu-kun said:
Thaluikhain said:

Neither Apple, nor anyone else is going to trick you into becoming an organ donor so the can steal your organs.

They do that regardless of if you are a registered donor or not, everyone knows that. The space lizards aren't that pedantic.
I think the problem is the ease, some people are just not comfortable with the idea of donating their organs and if it's quite literally a popup box that you can unwittingly check then it's not okay.
In this case, perhaps, but there's plenty of strange fear at the best of times.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
inu-kun said:
I think the problem is the ease, some people are just not comfortable with the idea of donating their organs and if it's quite literally a popup box that you can unwittingly check then it's not okay.
If you accidentally go to the health app and then accidentally register as an organ donor, 1- you can reverse it and 2- you have bigger problems, like learning how to use a phone.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
inu-kun said:
Thaluikhain said:

I think the problem is the ease, some people are just not comfortable with the idea of donating their organs
Fuck those people.

and if it's quite literally a popup box that you can unwittingly check then it's not okay.
You're implying that we should keep the system obtuse so that idiots don't accidentally sign up for something which does not alter their lives in any way and actually helps society?

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Must admit I'm fairly keen on opt out for organ donation.Those who actually care about what happens to their organs still can remove themselves if thats what they want, society gets a massive boost.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Take my organs! I'm throwing them at the screen right now..Am not exactly putting them to good use either. But honestly, do people really believe Apple are going to come take their organs in their sleep? Repo-men style? Fear everything, people...fear!! Now buy everything I am selling you to not feel this fear anymore, my product will protect you, your children, your children's cat AND any viruses you might be harbouring from the virus Nazis, or "doctors" as they so often refer to themselves as. Don't trust them, with their scary glinting tools of death, warm dead smiles and alleged "knowledges." What do they even know? They don't know my mother's maiden name I bet. Oh wait, they might actually. How did they get hold of my medical records?? Who even talked?? Their power knows no bounds!
Anyway, I have always wondered how my liver would fare in another survival vessel. We have had some pretty turbulent times together and I should probably put a warning label on there or something.

I'll never understand the fears of organ donation, it is a new level of illogical selfishness, like hoarding your collection of stuff away from the world after you die cos "ain't no dirty thieving immigrants getting mitts on my cool stuff!" Thinking it's somehow better to destroy something than potentially let another human have it.
Personally, I think I'll have bigger problems when I'm dead than who's using my organs correctly to an arbitrary standard I invented.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Errr... Why shouldn't it be easy?

If it's donation after death, who gives a shit, you're dead and as far as anyone else knows you made the choice intentionally, everybody wins (well, not you, you're dead).

If it's before death and you hadn't thought it through, it's not like Apple is just going to show up in a van and swipe your kidney without your consent.

And besides all that, it's unclear how easy it would be to unintentionally activate. At the least you still have to be in the Health App. I don't really see it happening by accident and if it did, I don't really see a reason to care.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I honestly don't see what the problem with this is, all it does is make it easier for you to sign up. What's wrong with that? You're making a big deal out of nothing.

Quite frankly I think organ donation should be opt out anyway. What on earth do you need your organs for when you're dead?

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Alleged_Alec said:
inu-kun said:
Thaluikhain said:

I think the problem is the ease, some people are just not comfortable with the idea of donating their organs
Fuck those people.

and if it's quite literally a popup box that you can unwittingly check then it's not okay.
You're implying that we should keep the system obtuse so that idiots don't accidentally sign up for something which does not alter their lives in any way and actually helps society?
In the United States and other countries, some people have religious reasons for this. Also, some people don't like the idea that they give blood/organs to hospitals for free and then the hospitals turn around and charge the patient a ridiculously high sum to have it implanted. Individuals can't sell their organs, they can only give them away for free but the hospital can profit a mint from these donations.

These are not my views and I am not defending them, just shedding some light on why some might dislike the idea.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Been a bit since I renewed my driver's license, but wasn't becoming an organ donor as easy as checking a box on the form when renewing that? Hardly appreciably different to a check box in an app.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
inu-kun said:
Thaluikhain said:

Was it ever hard? When I went to the DMV to get my license, they asked if I wanted to be an organ donor. I said yes. Now it's on my license. How is this different? Your organs are just going to rot in the ground anyway. Assuming the coroner doesn't suck them out with a straw, and pump your husk full of stiffening chemicals. May as well donate. It's the least disgusting option.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Well done for turing a nice, selfless (as much as any publicised philanthropic acts by a company can be) community-spirited move into a sinister organ harvesting plot. I hope you're very proud.

I think the standard in the UK now is that being an organ donor is assumed unless you take action to withdraw from it which means that lazy people automatically donate their organs anyway, which is great. Personally I'd go a step further and say that you shouldn't have the right to refuse.