Best 3D platformers

Chaosut

Apr 8, 2009
A genre that i've always had a bit of a soft spot for is the 3D platformer. What i see in some of my favourite 3D platformers are; a good soundtrack, imaginative and well designed levels, colorful and memorable characters, an emphasis on exploration and a lengthy singleplayer.

My first console was the N64, so my top three favourite were; Banjo-Kazooie, Super Mario 64 (of course ;)) and Donkey Kong 64. I also really liked Sly 2: Band of Thieves (haven't played number 3 yet), Rayman 2 & 3, Psychonauts, Jet Set Radio Future (if that counts), Vodoo Vince and Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 (yes i actually like some of the 3D sonic games).

So anyway, i was just wonder what some other people's favourite games in the genre were. It's also a bit of an invitation to be sentimental about the genre seeming as it's popularity has died down for a while now, imo.

Hatman Jam

Apr 21, 2008
Man you've already used all the best ones, haha.

Banjo-Kazooie and Psychonauts both hold huuuuge places in my heart.

The Blue Mongoose

Jul 12, 2008
Don't know if they count, but the Jak games are rather awesome. As are the Ratchet and Clank games.

Crock: Legend of the Gobos was also a lot of fun.

Would Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time count?

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Glover, it's unique to say the least. You took all my other favorites.

Does Okami count as a platformer?

Crapster

Aug 6, 2009
Good choices in the OP, especially Banjo Kazooie (Though I liked Banjo Tooie more) and Donkey Kong 64 (fantastic game, very underrated.)

Chaosut

Apr 8, 2009
Hatman Jam said:
Man you've already used all the best ones, haha.

Banjo-Kazooie and Psychonauts both hold huuuuge places in my heart.
Lol, i probably did grab some of the best one's already. Banjo-Kazooie has a very big place in my heart being one of my first 3D platformers (i might've played it even before Super Mario 64). I just loved the imaginative environments, and it also had a great soundtrack.

Crapster said:
Good choices in the OP, especially Banjo Kazooie (Though I liked Banjo Tooie more) and Donkey Kong 64 (fantastic game, very underrated.)
That's interesting, i personally liked Banjo-Kazooie more (only slightly), but Banjo-Tooie was also really good. I agree completely about Donkey Kong 64, i think it was one of the best platformers and it didn't really get quite as much attention as it deserved.

wouldyoukindly99 said:
Glover, it's unique to say the least. You took all my other favorites.

Does Okami count as a platformer?
Hmm, i'm not sure really if Okami is considered a platformer, but if it is then it certainly should be on the list of favourite. Good mention though :). I've sadly never got around to playing Glover, it looked pretty interesting.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
The following titles should be played because I consider them to be the best of the 3D platforming genres.

Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Donkey Kong 64
Super Mario 64
Psychonauts
Super Mario Galaxy
Ratchet & Clank games

These titles should also be played because they are also quite good

Voodoo Vince
Super Mario Sunshine
Sly Cooper games
original Crash Bandicoot games (the first 3 or 4)

Jamis

Sep 4, 2009
Spyro the Dragon, Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage, Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon. The rest can burn in non-Insomniac Hell.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Jamis said:
Spyro the Dragon, Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage, Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon. The rest can burn in non-Insomniac Hell.
Amen

I love Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie; I just finished playing Banjo Tooie again last night. I got Nuts and Bolts, and it was ok, but not really what I was hoping for. The humour was extremely stylised as well, and not quite to my taste; the self-referencing was far too blatant and alienating.

Ratchet and Clank is fantastic, and Croc deserves an extra special mention.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
I personally hated Banjo-Kazooie. Quote me if you want to complain, I won't check back here.

Jak 2 wins.