Best accidental find?

meone007

May 29, 2008
I got Fablesimply because it was a relatively cheap RPG that my computer could handle. I gave up on it about 2 missions in because of the controls and wierd gameplay. Later, my girlfriend demanded I try it again because it is her favorite game. I've put in about 100 hours in it now :)

Omnidum

Mar 27, 2008
I was looking for a game, and I saw Star Wars Racers for 70 DKK. As I remembered how much fun I had with that game a long time ago, I bought it.

DKK is the currency of Denmark

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I'm not too much of an impulse buyer, so I don't buy very many games I've never heard of. If a game I've never seen before looks really interesting, I generally read a little about it online before buying it. However, back when I was still renting games regularly (before all the best video rental places stopped carrying games for some reason), I would frequently rent ones I'd never heard of.

There was this little SNES game called On The Ball that I one day rented without knowing anything about it because back when I was little I was obsessed with spheres for some reason. I wound up loving it.

Same with Bust-a-Move '99, a game that I rented and was hooked on, and I still have no idea why. Although I don't own it, I still make a beeline for that one every video game night.

I had heard about the Harvest Moon series but had never played any of the games, and since there were so few copies I had no clue how to get one, then when browsing through a vintage game store I found Harvest Moon 64.

klarax

Mar 24, 2008
GRAND THEFT AUTO 3

knew nothing of it, nor the series. It came out the day of my birthday, i had only just spoken on the phone to a friend and he said that his brother-in-law was getting it. I was like "oh right..." thought nothing of it. Anyway, looked around in a shop for a game to spend my B-day money on. Noticed it there and bought it. I remember putting it on, i was blown away.

FINAL FANTASY 7

I was exrtremely young, and my younger brother had his pocket money, we looked at the games and when we looked at the back on the game box, it looked so pretty with HMV video's on it he bought it. Played F@@k out of it.

AsbestosKidney

Dec 5, 2007
Severance: Blade of Darkness

Very gory fantasy tactical hack and slash game. Its graphics were absolutely gorgeous for its time. I picked it up randomly because it was cheap and I thought the screenshots on the back of the box looked neat. Dismembering enemies after I had killed them was a true joy.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

I had read a little bit about it prior to buying it, but it was really just an act of pure impulse when I bought it. Sure, the game was flawed and buggy, but once I learned to tolerate those issues it took a high place on my list of favourite RPGs.

Hellion25

May 28, 2008
Mine would be Soleil on the Megadrive, I think it was called Crusader of Centy in the US. Anyway as a young un for some reason I seemed to believe that the newer MD boxes with the blue trim dealie were somehow a mark of quality so I picked this up with that train of thought. Ended up being one of my favourite games of all time, even if it is, at its core, a Zelda clone.

TJ rock 101

May 20, 2008
STARCRAFT the best strategy game ever made! but starcraft 2 is coming so still waiting for it
the story is good, the game play is good, the AI is well thought out, the teams are balanced but the graphics are not very good...i still play it though lol

Kylio

May 29, 2008
"Prince of Persia Sands of Time" Came free with my PS2 and so I played as it was one of 3 games I also got free (A wrestling game and a Formula 1 game) And when I played it it was like finding a £10 when stuck in a waiting room.

JoPiss

May 26, 2008
Jacman413 said:
Jet Set Radio Future.

Picked it up 'cause it was cheap. turned out to be fun and quirky. Love it.
Definitely an under-rated game, love it to death

Batadon

Jan 17, 2008
Jumplion said:
My first game ever was Ray-Man. I had no idea what I'd gotten myself into.

That game still holds dear memories in my heart.
Amen, I saw that for $15, best purchase ever. Despite looking so cartoony, that game was BRUTAL.

And a +1 for Actraiser. Pity the sequel had to suck like a Hoover...

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. A few friends of mine had it and simply would not stop yammering on about it, so I picked it up. So very, very glad I did.

Slash12

Apr 26, 2008
I usually hear something about all the games that I buy, But the two that I knew least about when I bought were Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow and the original KOTOR. Both were amazing to me, Even though at that point I was terrible at Splinter Cell and couldn't get past Jerusalem...

PlyrYaKA

May 28, 2008
Viking: Battle for Asgard really surprised me. i was expecting a truly terrible game when my friend lent it to me but I found it really fun and satisfying, even the stealth sections were good!!!

B4D 9R4MM3R

May 15, 2008
Scaler for the original Xbox. Cheesy storyline, but pretty solid gameplay. Shame I can't play it on the 360.

Someone bought me Unreal Tournament: GOTY on a whim and I've followed the series ever since. Coincidently, I haven't actually owned an Unreal game before Unreal Tournament 3, and I didn't bother with any research on that so it qualifies.

I managed to buy Red Alert 2 upon release over the internet and have never regretted it, even when it buggered up my PC on installation (it was really old).

crimsnsacrifice

May 19, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. A few friends of mine had it and simply would not stop yammering on about it, so I picked it up. So very, very glad I did.
Seconded.
I was bored and scrolling through a livejournal community, and someone posted a link to a kijiji ad. This guy was selling SMT: Nocturne and the guide brick. I'd never even heard of SMT, or Atlus for that matter, but I called the guy and bought it. Needless to say I was very pleased and impressed with my find.

haruvister

Jun 4, 2008
World of Warcraft. I resented the concept of paying a subscription for something I'd already paid for - then I discovered that's the default complaint of those who haven't been enraptured by rich, involving, yet accessible persistent world with bags of character and exquisite art design.

Flangle

Mar 12, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Definitely Shadow of Chernobyl. I just thought "well what the hell it looks cool and it's cheap".
How right you are! that game literally introduced me to fps' and ive yet to find anything better, cant wait for clear skies.

saxondragon

Mar 8, 2006
The best game.. was and is.. Mount&Blade from WWW.Taleworlds.com.

Even though it is in open beta and has been since December 2005 when I joined, it is the game that I continually go back to for play. It offers the first true real time first- person medieval combat system, complete with horseback combat, along with a nice dynamic environment that changes as you play.

I am hard on games and rarely stay with a title more than a few months. The ONLY exception is this game and what is almost hysterical is that I just accidently found it and decided to throw a few dollars at it to check it out. I have tossed more games in the last three years than I want to publically admit.

My wife would strangle me if she knew the thousand or more dollars I spent in "research". Yet, this one title, from an indie developer out of Turkey of all places, has managed to capture my interest and time like no other title ever has either single or multi-player.