Best and worst gun feel

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
The best, for me, goes to the shotties in CS:GO. They just feel so good when you're up close. Some of the Caustic revolvers on the original Borderlands are pretty sweet too and I loved the crossbow from Half-life 2 back in the day.

I don't mind the weapons from Fallout because I think they're kinda meant to be bad and let's be honest it's all about V.A.T's on there anyway. The worst goes to most of the Bioshock weapons (including Infinite) They seem powerless, handle like bricks and combined with awful AI and physics just feel like I'm playing with a Nerf gun.

Vandenberg1

May 26, 2011
My best was Call of Duty: World at War, because I love the MP40, in the real world and shooting it for first time in a game that pretty accurately got it was awesome, besides the FAL in MW2.. for non-real I say Bioshock 2 or Dead Space 2 because of awesome javelin gun...

WORST....Whatever that game was called where it tried to say you can climb up walls and have all these different classes, hundreds of guns...but it wasno plot, no online play due to PS3 systems getting hacked, which led you to use shitttttyyyyyyyyy A.I. and both factions looked lame with long.. Army of Darkness- Ash stretched faces..

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
GodzillaGuy92 said:
One of my favorite guns ever is Halo: Combat Evolved assault rifle
funny you should mention this
because I'm playing through Combat Evolved on Legendary and the assault rifle is fucking worthless

OT: shotguns and revolvers in Borderlands felt pretty alright, way better than the semiautomatic pistols, if anything
still, best: the M60 and Howitzer from Vivisector
the Javelin, Widow, Claymore, Carnifex and N7 Typhoon from ME3
all these guns get me all hot and bothered when using them

worst: ME weapons, dear god ME weapons

TheRaggedQueen

Nov 10, 2011
Best? I'd say either the Spartan Laser or the Shotgun from Halo, though having just played through MW2 the other day I can safely say that the Intervention is pretty satisfying as well.

Worst would have to be Black Op's stuff, yeah. There was just never really anything resembling a real satisfying sound or feel to any of the weaponry.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
I will have to go with the Overwatch Pulse Rifle from Half-Life 2. That thing has punch. Plus its secondary fire is also hilarious. I do really like the sound design in Battlefield 3 however. The effort that went into the detail of weapon models in Red Orchestra 2 is awe-inspiring to say the least. I basically had a nerdgasm when I found out that I had to swap out an overheated barrel on my MG34.

Out of the games I have played, I would say that CoD has the worst weapon sound design I have ever heard. It is made all the more irritating knowing the ridiculous amounts of money those games make. They really need to take some cash out of the official Activision money pile and hire a sound designer that knows what they are doing.

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
Flak Jacket on:

Best? Black Ops 2. Honestly, the sound and recoil from the weapons feels significantly different and gives a much better sense (at least to me).

Worst? Halo. None of those freakin' plasma weapons feel like they do anything. \:

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Dead Space 2. Nearly all the guns were perfect.
Cleanly slicing a limb off from a long distance with the plasma pistol? Aw yeah!
Shooting a spear that sticks a necromorph to the wall, electrifying it so that it zaps other nearby zombies, and then exploding it? Aw yeah!

Every shot feels so satisfying.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
teh_Canape said:
GodzillaGuy92 said:
One of my favorite guns ever is Halo: Combat Evolved assault rifle
funny you should mention this
because I'm playing through Combat Evolved on Legendary and the assault rifle is fucking worthless

OT: shotguns and revolvers in Borderlands felt pretty alright, way better than the semiautomatic pistols, if anything
still, best: the M60 and Howitzer from Vivisector
the Javelin, Widow, Claymore, Carnifex and N7 Typhoon from ME3
all these guns get me all hot and bothered when using them

worst: ME weapons, dear god ME weapons
Replaying the orginal ME due to my ME2 save fire being lost and all I can say is:

Pow pow pow pow I will destory you! pow pow pow pow pow get to cover! beep beep pow pow pow pow bang pow pow pow pow

Yeah those guns suck besides the shotgun and I've never seen worse grenades.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Best; Flak Cannon from Unreal Tournament. A shotgun that fires richocheting superhot shrapnel, with a grenade launching secondary fire. You do no need any other gun.

Worst; erm.. I can't think of any right now, I'll get back to you on that.

Keymik

Oct 18, 2008
Seeing some hate towards the weapons from Fallout 3, have you people forgot the great railway rifle? It's a rifle that shoots railway spikes! And it's always so satisfying to hear that bell go off afteryou've just nailed someones head to a wall with a railway spike.
Not to mention Lincoln's Repeater, that gun sounds amazing to me and the reloading animation gives me more pleasure than it probably should.

Guess that covers my best.. Worst one then.. Hmmm..
Maybe the old counter strike rifle sounds? Or doesn't that count because of oldness?
I personally always hated them.

Matt Dellar

Jun 26, 2011
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive's AWP gets the best from me. The thing sounds like a thunderclap and is the only gun in the game with a one-hit bodyshot kill. The sound combined with the ragdoll cartwheeling down de_dust2's pit at long A as a result of a .50 caliber bullet leads to me preferring this gun in this game over most others.

I don't play enough shooters to pick out a worst, but off the top of my head, most sci-fi guns fail to satisfy because of their "pew-pew" sound (as opposed to the AWP's "slam/crack"), e.g. Firefall, though the game itself is pretty fun.

Mint Rubber

Dec 27, 2011
Worst: The Bolter (and all the other weapons) from Warhammer 40k: Fire Warrior. Let's just say that beyond the lousy gameplay and lackluster story Fire Warrior had terribly underwhelming weapons, which is something not to be expected from a game set in the "There is only war!" franchise of all things. The T'au pulse weapons work like toy guns that shoot multicolored lights, the las weapons shoot nerf pellets and the iconic bolter works like a slow-firing grenade launcher(?).
All in all, Fire Warrior is one of the few games I never finished, and I almost always finish games no matter how bad they are.

Best: The Gravity Gun from Half-Life 2. This device uses everything around you as ammunition and it never runs out of juice. And if you just happen to walk by a garden shed filled with razor sharp saw blades... the enemies are gonna have a very bad time.

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
Best: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games, with the exception of pistols

Worst: Deus Ex: Invisible War. How does an action-oriented sequel manage to have even worse gun feel than its RPG-heavy big brother, I have no idea

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
The guns in the new Tomb Raider, barring the crappy shotgun, all felt really good to me. Getting the handgun early on truly felt empowering due to the physical and audio feedback you got when firing it.

The worst, I'd say, though would be ARMA II. I only really play it for DayZ, but the guns feel very insubstantial. It might be partly because of the awkward interface (surprising given that it's a military sim), but there's no satisfying feedback from anything.

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
Vandenberg1 said:
WORST....Whatever that game was called where it tried to say you can climb up walls and have all these different classes, hundreds of guns...but it wasno plot, no online play due to PS3 systems getting hacked, which led you to use shitttttyyyyyyyyy A.I. and both factions looked lame with long.. Army of Darkness- Ash stretched faces..
Pretty sure that's Brink, and you're certainly not alone in that. It was one of the biggest flops this generation...

his1nightmare

Nov 8, 2010
Well, the Desert Eagle in 1.6 is simply unbeatable.
(Also Quake 3, far away from realistic but this is the only game where absolutely every weapon makes you feel like a man whose desires were answered.)

Worst? The DE in any other game. Though RE5 actually feels quite right when it comes to handguns.

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
Well, I'm gonna get the bad out of the way first and say the worst guns I've ever used in a game were from that Matt Hazard game. The shotguns had about a one-foot range, and everything except the starting pistol had such shitty accuracy I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Now that I got that turd out of the way, I've always had a soft spot for shotguns that load shell-by-shell and make that lovely "tchlok" noise when the shells are loaded. Favoritest part of the first Halo game. :3 More broadly, I've always liked guns with personality, or at least a degree of spontaneity. One of the few saving graces of Gears of War was the way that "slam reload" mechanic made the simple act of reloading a game unto itself. Having a partially repaired weapon in Fallout 3 and NV added those "is this thing working" animations, my favorites belonging to the flamer and the gatling lazer.

More recently, the starting weapons in the new Tomb Raider were very nice until they upgraded to the same old shit I've seen every other game. You know I have honestly never seen a machine gun like that before? I especially like how all the upgrades are visible on the weapon models.

And finally, I would be remiss not to mention Deus Ex: Human Revolution, just because it has something I haven't seen since Halo; when you bring up a repeater-style pistol, the character checks the chamber first. I don't know why I like that so much but I do.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
So many good ones.The shotgun on Halo earned a special place in my heart, one that I don't usually give to shotguns. I actually found the combat shotguns in Fallout 3 to be ok as well. You had to really get up close to negate the effect of the blind, retarded VATS system, but it usually paid off. I always find assault rifles to be the most efficient guns when I use them, but I can't remember a time when they really felt hugely satisfying. I have to give a joint reccommendation to any sniper rifle used with the Carnifex pistol in Mass effect 2 and 3. Seeing those enemies float into the crosshairs and then fall lifeless in graceful slow motion... that's art, right there. Oh, and the Shepard pistols in Saint's Row 3. I scored so many headshots with such casual ease using those things that I started to worry that I'd been part of some government experiment without my knowledge. And every single one of them felt like a little orgasm.

On the other end of the scale is just about every gun in Gears of War. They all made me think of shooting a rhinoceros with a BB gun. The weapons in Sniper Elite were fairly unimpressive too. They had an annoying tendency to not kill their target even when I spent a full minute making sure I could put the bullet up his nostril without touching the sides.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Good: BattleField. ok the guns feel fantastic. they sound amazing, do high damage and have a good amount of recoil on them which imo really helps to make them feel like... well guns

Bad: Call Of Duty (specifically MW2 onwards and to a lesser extent the old ones). ok guns sounds like absolute ass for the most part with some exceptions. the guns are high damage but they fire so fast and with such little recoil it feels less like a gun and like a really boring version of laser quest